Playing the end game gives up Rev War and one very old anchor button!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have a friend in town (Cerebus on here), and we've been digging some dirt. Sites are tough right now with most fields planted so the end game we are playing is detecting sites that are pretty close to the end, which is oh so different than once upon a time ...because they were great sites! Looking at my little pile of finds it looks like my typical post from a day out with Ironhorse in the Fall, but oh no, this was many hours worth. :) Like I said these places have been hit well, clearly not dead yet, but you do have to work for it.

All that said, I'm very satisfied with the results. The Rev War RP button didn't survive well, but that's expected for those. The Ross Guards is cool, and clearly a rare one as I found another a decade ago and no one seems to know anything and I've never seen another. What makes it even stranger is this one is a variant, having no crown like the first I dug. So now I have two and no answers - but do feel there is a very high probability they are from Ross-shire, Scotland. This Winter I will see if I can figure that out.

Last but not least, is my best and most interesting button I've dug in a while. It's a crude anchor design hand engraved tombac. It's early French and would date somewhere between 1720 and 1750.

Ironhorse if you see this...

The RP is from the little RP hill site in T.

The Ross Guards is from the NJ field, not far from where you got the Master button last year.

The French anchor is from the Cossack Cob site. So quiet it was tough not to leave after the first 20 minutes, but stayed and the button was my first signal maybe 30 feet in front of the iron. I dug three more targets in the hour that followed, all away from the site.

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 122
  • Mvc-034s.jpg
    Mvc-034s.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 107
  • thumbnail_20170818_205434.jpg
    thumbnail_20170818_205434.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 119
  • 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Upvote 40

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you had some great finds. That kind of history isn't here in Michigan thanks for sharing em!!!!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh wow! The buttons you pull regularly are ridiculous!! That Ross button is insane and the anchor button IMHO is as good as it gets. Hand engraved, French, and old. Totally amazing bud! I understand fully the "End game". The game is really a mental game with yourself and being patient. But you stayed and killed it! Nice work

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the great buttons, worth the day right there.
Say hello to the Newfie.:hello:

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
I don't know for sure if this is the same but there are references to the Ross Guards / Ross Horse Guards in the newspapers c. 1798, 1802, 1804. From what appears to be the Wexford, Ireland area.

And here's something about "Standish Lowcay" who is mentioned - His "company of Yeoman" may be the Ross Guards...?

The New Geneva - Hookless Village

STANDISH LOWCAY
There was one gentleman in this area who acquired an unenviable reputation through his association with Geneva Barracks, during its time as a penal settlement and who deservedly merited the hate of the local people. He was a notorious magistrate, who lived at Kilhile House. He was originally a Huguenot, who came over to Ireland with William II, Prince of Orange and was given large tracts of land as a reward for his services. As well as being a magistrate, he also had under his command, a company of Yeomen, who were justly hated in 1798, and many were the floggings and pitch- cappings and cabin roof burnings inflicted by this gentleman to extract information before and after the Rising. He sent his unfortunate victims across the river to Geneva Barracks, in the hope of seeing them executed or deported. When he died a ballad was composed in order to perpetuate his memory. Its chorus went as follows:-

“Hell is full of Orangemen

The Croppies cant get in

We’ll make the Devils begging bag, Of Lowcay’s yellow skin”!

Attachments

• rossguards2.jpg
    rossguards2.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 94
OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know for sure if this is the same but there are references to the Ross Guards / Ross Horse Guards in the newspapers c. 1798, 1802, 1804. From what appears to be the Wexford, Ireland area.

And here's something about "Standish Lowcay" who is mentioned - His "company of Yeoman" may be the Ross Guards...?

I would say that's definitely a better lead! There was both Irish and Scottish settlers here in high numbers.

sugarquartz

Aug 1, 2017
Long Island, NY
Detector(s) used
Fisher F 75 LTD SE, Nel tornado coil, Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hand engraved anchor button is really something else.Very nice!!

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
That's is a lot of work, but very worth it in the 'end'

our beat sites are getting tougher every day, and once upon a time they were our best sites, how things change

the anchor button is awesome, that area has always fascinated me and I'm sure there'll be more from there in time

good luck finding some more fields to swing in, it's been a tough year for the farmers so be nice to them

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
IP what's the item in the upper right hand corner what looks like a loop on the end?

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome finds! I would take those any day from a quiet site and drive home smiling!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice relic hunt, congratulations! :occasion14:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome finds! Love those buttons and that hand engraved one is in stunning condition. Big congrats!

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
http://asahelena.wixsite.com/militarybuttons/buttons-p-r
Not your variant but there is a Ross-shire on the site. So seems most likely.

Never seen that french button, looks like some kid draw it...lol

Is my variant because it's also my button. :) He's just guessing with nothing solid to back it up.

I've actually seen those French anchor buttons before as there is no mistaking them, and one I recall was made much more sloppy than mine. Two I've seen up close because I bought them and they were made the same as the one I have now. That was about a decade ago and I thought they were very cool, and never thought it was something I'd ever find.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is my variant because it's also my button. :) He's just guessing with nothing solid to back it up.

I've actually seen those French anchor buttons before as there is no mistaking them, and one I recall was made much more sloppy than mine. Two I've seen up close because I bought them and they were made the same as the one I have now. That was about a decade ago and I thought they were very cool, and never thought it was something I'd ever find.
OK, Bramblefinds leads looking much stronger then.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

There is a period place call 'old Ross' or Ross in Wexford, Ireland. So a good lead.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread