Please dont ruin my hobby

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Below is the metal detecting code of ethics that we should all follow. I would love to be free to detect until the day I die and the same for my kids. Where i live two different county forest preserve districts have banned metal detecting for no given reason. If we follow the code of ethics hopefully we wont lose more places.

CODE OF ETHICS

I WILL ALWAYS CHECK FEDERAL, STATE, COUNTY AND LOCAL LAWS BEFORE SEARCHING. IT IS MY RESPONSIBILITY TO “ KNOW THE LAW “

I WILL RESPECT PRIVATE PROPERTY AND WILL NOT ENTER PRIVATE PROPERTY WITHOUT THE OWNER’S PERMISSION. WHERE POSSIBLE, SUCH PERMISSION WILL BE IN WRITING.

I WILL TAKE CARE TO REFILL ALL HOLES AND TRY NOT TO LEAVE ANY DAMAGE.

I WILL REMOVE AND DISPOSE OF ANY AND ALL TRASH AND LITTER THAT I FIND.

I WILL APPRECIATE AND PROTECT OUR INHERITANCE OF NATURAL RESOURCES, WILDLIFE AND PRIVATE PROPERTY.

I WILL AS AN AMBASSADOR FOR THE HOBBY, USE THOUGHTFULNESS, CONSIDERATION AND COURTESY AT ALL TIMES.

I WILL WORK TO HELP BRING UNITY TO OUR HOBBY BY WORKING WITH ANY ORGANIZATION OF ANY GEOGRAPHIC AREA THAT MAY HAVE PROBLEMS THAT WILL LIMIT THEIR ABILITY TO PEACEFULLY PURSUE THE HOBBY.

I WILL LEAVE GATES AS FOUND.

I WILL BUILD FIRES IN DESIGNATED OR SAFE PLACES ONLY.

I WILL REPORT TO THE PROPER AUTHORITIES ANY INDIVIDUALS WHO ENTER AND OR REMOVE ARTIFACTS FROM FEDERAL PARKS OR STATE PRESERVES.

Upvote 0

SevenOut

Tenderfoot
Sep 19, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Below is the metal detecting code of ethics that we should all follow. I would love to be free to detect until the day I die and the same for my kids. Where i live two different county forest preserve districts have banned metal detecting for no given reason. If we follow the code of ethics hopefully we wont lose more places.

I agree with you 100%. It is unfortunate that it takes only a few people to ruin it for all. I kid you not.

Groups of detector"ists" can overwhelm a private land owner in the Western USA. A husband and wife team are usually accepted with open arms and the curiosity of the land owner. The rancher may even offer to share the spoils with you from a spot that just had "odd debris out in nowhere". Offer even to spot bad fencing to report, pick up any trash left by others along the county road or just figure it does not hurt to treat the 50,000 acre ranch the same as your 450 square foot front lawn.

Building fires... DON'T. A camp fire in the West on the dry Prairie is dumb, dumb and dumber. If you need a fire to detect... stay home and burn your own property down. If you want to be immediately thrown off a great detector site on a Ranch... do not bring a wet climate mind set to burning out a Rancher's grazing for his only income... cattle ranching. This is true from Central Kansas (north to south borders) to the Sierra Nevada mountains on the East side (rain shadow).

Once you ask for something in writing the situation can become awkward... a Rancher begins to wonder what is up. He may request that he be held harmless if a stray bullet hits you during hunting season, you fall off a ravine wall or your campsite is overrun by a group of Bulls... Know the name of the Ranch, the owner or foreman who gave you permission and the shake of the hand is the writing all, that is needed. IF... you find the Wells Fargo box lost in 1875... you might then find yourself in a situation where, although awkward, some written agreement about sharing a big find. Eventually your find will be reported by a friend and get back to the property owner. That happens. It is human nature to conceal the source of the spoils. I understand. But... do to the property owner as you would want someone finding a windfall on your property. These people in the Rockies are independent and rational sort. You can work out an agreement of sharing the spoils... if necessary, usually not.

If I had all of the answers to the hard decisions, I would not be a normal person. Just, play fair, treat someone else's property BETTER than your own. If you are a plain Jackass... stay home. I do not want to be around you and the Rancher will have the County Sheriff on you faster than you can change a flat tire. For hunters there are "poachers" and for metal detecting we have our own version. Both are trespassing and make the rest of us all guilty by association.

Sapper724

May 28, 2013
Northwestern WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Build Fires?

OP
OP
gerryk

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are right from the federations web site. That is in there because sometimes people are out in the mddle of nowhere and camp when detecting and use a campfire at night or for cooking.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread