Please help ID this relic from 1800s farm

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Please help ID this relic from 1800's farm

It was the perfect plan: I awoke today to about 18 degrees, with a forecast for sunny and almost 50. Got the kids to school, threw some lunch in my pack and hopped in the truck for the trip over to my mother's house. From there, it's about a 15 minute hike back to an 1800's farm foundation I've been hunting. Because it was so cold last night, the hike in was easy; the ground was still frozen and I would only have to navigate mud on the way out. I got over to the site and did some clearing; you don't go out there and just turn on your detector! After about an hour, I had a good area cleared and it was time to search. Nothing, just a few square nails but they don't count out there. Went to eat my lunch and discovered that I had cut into my can of V8 with the bowsaw; this was disappointing, but fortunately I also had a bottle of water so I didn't suffer too badly! After I ate, I cleared another area and was again shut out; this place makes you work, and the old coins are scarce. They're there, just not every day. I got to the point where it didn't make sense to do any more clearing; by the time I was done it would be time to leave for the kids. So, I meandered. I came across a couple of springs and thought they might be promising. I got a pretty solid signal, but it was very shallow. It turned out to be an ancient hoe, which I will clean up and post a picture of later. I crossed the creek and found another spring. Here, I got the classic (for me) Buff signal. Digging turned up this copper/brass item. As you can see by the pictures, It's about the size of a silver dollar and has a little clip that slides into a piece in back. It's slightly concave/convex (depending on which side you're looking at) and I can't find any identifying marks on it. Maybe some of my astute colleagues on TNet can help? As expected, the walk out was muddy, but I got back to town in plenty of time to clean up a little and get the kids. Now I have to go get a V8.

Attachments

• dunnrelic 001 (Small).jpg
    dunnrelic 001 (Small).jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 693
  • dunnrelic 002 (Small).jpg
    dunnrelic 002 (Small).jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 693
  • dunnrelic 003 (Small).jpg
    dunnrelic 003 (Small).jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 688
Upvote 0

lafatlife

May 14, 2008
CT
Re: Please help ID this relic from 1800's farm

It looks like it may have been some sort of a medal or a broach perhaps.

t-bucket

Bronze Member
Oct 7, 2007
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
e-track- Explorer SE explorer 2 -

Cool find but no idea what it is !!! Good luck on your next hunt !! :thumbsup:

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000

May at one time have been a kerchief slide or a woman's hair clip.In other words,no idea.Bridle clip?

Johnnysan

Jan 3, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 5-ID / Garrett Ace 250

Looks like the weight from a clock pendulum to me.

Twin Digger

Feb 13, 2009
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2

any old hair clip..... Nice. if your going to clean in it might show some detail.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting.

Twin Digger

titan

Jun 29, 2007
northwest tn.
Detector(s) used
MXT

warsawdaddy said:
May at one time have been a kerchief slide or a woman's hair clip.In other words,no idea.Bridle clip?
i would have to agree. :icon_scratch:

Sir Digs-A-Lot

Sep 14, 2008
Orlando Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II and ACE 250

Cool find. There are 2 grooves under the left bracket -- do they look like wear marks from the forked piece sliding in and out? If so its been inserted and removed quite a bit. Hmmm...

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

Ferrous Bueller said:
Cool find. There are 2 grooves under the left bracket -- do they look like wear marks from the forked piece sliding in and out? If so its been inserted and removed quite a bit. Hmmm...
Yes, you're quite observant; they are wear marks. The forked piece is certainly designed to be portable

gemee

Jul 31, 2004
California

I deal in antique jewelry, and this is not a jewelry-related item. Could it of been a piece off of a horse bridle?

Sir Digs-A-Lot

Sep 14, 2008
Orlando Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II and ACE 250

halfdime said:
Ferrous Bueller said:
Yes, you're quite observant; they are wear marks. The forked piece is certainly designed to be portable

There is one edge of the disk that is flattened --- there could have been a hinge there and these may be parts to a pocket-sized sundial. If you Google 'pocket sundial' and click on 'images' you will see some old ones that have a hinged lid about the size of yours.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread