Please help identify native points

coolthings81

Greenie
Jan 24, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Recently bought private collection of arrowheads. I identified most of them. Most are from the mid west, Wisconsin to Alabama. But not sure on these three. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1516841878.531106.jpg

To much of the base is missing for me to figure the first one, but im pretty sure the middle is a Hamilton , and the last a Benton style blade. or preform.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks. I was thinking the middle one was a Hamilton, I just never seen one with the bottom points sharpened. Never seen a Benton without a stem. The base is tapered identical to the sides.

Upvote 0
Nice points, coolthings81.
Would it be possible to see a pic of the other side of that first one ?

Upvote 0
Great finds.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the pic, coolthings.
Was looking for "beveling", but hard to make it out.

I suspect the two pts. on the left may have been small, hafted knives.
Both have the appearance of being sharpened down to the stick.
The first one may ? have beveling, and the second one appears to have been resharpened 3 or 4 times.
When they get to the point of looking like a drill, they are most likely used up knives, and discarded as such.

The middle piece may be Burlington Chert. Illinois, Iowa, and Missouri ... especially Missouri.
I think the right hand piece may be the oldest of the three ... knife or atlatl dart point, hard to say.
Made of Hixton Silicified Sandstone and most likely the northern most of the three, coming from Wisconsin.

Edit: All pure speculation, ha-ha.
It's also possible the first one may be a dalton variant, which would make it a very old style, as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well, i sure have never gave it much thought ,but not all are named like that alot are named after certain areas . like the big sandy here in Ky. or fox valley, snake creek , mud creek, etc. but alot do have names like you speak of, and i really dont know ,maby by who first found a certain type maby. you would think they would name them after native tribes . like leaders or such. or call them Indian names.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back