Please help identify this rock

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A friend of mine found this at her farm while digging in a garden next to a barn. Looks like any old rock but there is a kicker....this thing has something in it that makes a magnet stick to it, you can toss a crappy magnet from the fridge at it and the magnet will stick to the rock. Any and all info appreciated. I told her I would do my best to research it for her. Thanks a bunch!
20140426_162622.jpg

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
High iron content makes a lot of rocks stick to magnets and vice versa. The usual mineral is magnetite, the same black sands you pick up with a magnet in soil/sand, that's disbursed thru out the rock matrix. There are other iron minerals that will hold a magnet but magnetite is the usual culprit.

As to the stone in question its what I'd just call a field stone :) Probable quartz with micro crystalline magnetite all thru it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
High iron content makes a lot of rocks stick to magnets and vice versa. The usual mineral is magnetite, the same black sands you pick up with a magnet in soil/sand, that's disbursed thru out the rock matrix. There are other iron minerals that will hold a magnet but magnetite is the usual culprit.

As to the stone in question its what I'd just call a field stone :) Probable quartz with micro crystalline magnetite all thru it.

Thank you! Knew someone would help out! I really appreciate it!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions