Please help identify

absosecur

Oct 26, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Found this at the same site as my buckle yesterday and didn't think much of it till I cleaned it. Everything in me wants to call it some type of signal cannon but not sure. It is 8 and 3/8's inches long. It is round and flared on one end and octagon and inside is threaded on the other end. Look at the pic where the octagon end is on the left and you will see a tiny hole in the side which goes all the way thru to the inside. On octagon end it looks like it's stamped with unopened tulips. It has the number 44 stamped on octagon end in one pic. The inside diameter is 5/8's of an inch. Any ideas what this is. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1482291295.593747.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1482291322.548910.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1482291344.264487.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1482291381.290210.jpg

Upvote 15

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whatever it is its old sometimes its fun not knowing what it is your imagination can go all over the place, my crazy guess a little telescope type thing like a sight on a rifle told ya it would be crazy Top of a flag pole !!! I hope its something rare and valuable!!Thanks for sharing it!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what does the flared end look like?

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wondering if sort of water nozzle? what are the letters carved on it? pic not in focus

Last edited:

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking it is some sort of pseudo duckbill anchor.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
dutch made boot gun single shot ..put round in the screw in the breech block ..hole in side is for fire to go thru to powder charge..

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a killer find! The threads threw people off but as Ivan said it's definitely a pistol barrel. That's a really amazing relic! Congrats. I found an 18th century brass hexagonal pistol barrel a few years back and it's a favorite of mine. Well done

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a killer find! The threads threw people off but as Ivan said it's definitely a pistol barrel. That's a really amazing relic! Congrats. I found an 18th century brass hexagonal pistol barrel a few years back and it's a favorite of mine. Well done

What was the purpose of the threads? What sort of firing mechanism did the boot gun utilize? I've been trying, unsuccessfully, to find a match that might answer these questions. Thanks.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a Belgium made boot pistol, the flared end looks similar. Better pix of the tulips you said was on it would be a help. I cannot see them. The hole that maybe would be for a nipple or frizzen would more than likely have to be threaded. The tiny hole I'm seeing might be a set screw? Hard to say from these pix. Close up shots of the Marks would be a great help in ID. Also are there inside threads on both ends. First look, it looks like a gun. I was not aware of a screw in breech on older guns, but just because I'm not aware doesn't mean anything. Can Ivan tell us the Dutch maker he's talking about?

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I agree, my first thought was a type of Belgium Pistol.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Mangum on here has found at least one of them.

Very cool find. Pistol barrel! Congrats.

pen

Apr 7, 2015
Ardmore, AL
Detector(s) used
Deus, AT Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Googled "Dutch Boot Gun" images and there were a couple of close matches.

gun1.jpg
gun2.jpg
gun3.jpg

Last edited:

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do a search on "Queen Anne Screw Barrel Pistol".

You will see many examples

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
another case of "fire at will" ______________but Will survived :laughing7::laughing7: AWESOME RELIC :icon_thumright::icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
absosecur

absosecur

Oct 26, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
I found a Belgium made boot pistol, the flared end looks similar. Better pix of the tulips you said was on it would be a help. I cannot see them. The hole that maybe would be for a nipple or frizzen would more than likely have to be threaded. The tiny hole I'm seeing might be a set screw? Hard to say from these pix. Close up shots of the Marks would be a great help in ID. Also are there inside threads on both ends. First look, it looks like a gun. I was not aware of a screw in breech on older guns, but just because I'm not aware doesn't mean anything. Can Ivan tell us the Dutch maker he's talking about?

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1482340046.900804.jpg
I had thought about some type of flintlock pistol that maybe has the tray on the side for powder so fire could travel thru hole to fire. Cool man. I love it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread