Please help me date and identify this stone point artifact

S

staggart

Hi,

I posted some pictures and the location where my son found this stone point last weekend at:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,101939.0.html

I was redirected here and was hoping I might get some help with getting more information about its possible age, material type and history of the people who may have created and lost it.

Many thanks,

Scott

Upvote 0
Basalt, and I can't see any signs of use or resharpening, so there's a good chance that it's just a preform. Hunt a quarry area and you will see such preforms / blanks along with spalls and other debitage all over the place.

I read some of that thread and somebody stated basalt doesn't knap well. They're incorrect, some basalt (and Dacite) knaps superbly. Yours just doesn't look like one of those pieces ;)

Could be Basalt. Basalt comes in three (3) types. 1. Basalt, 2. Diabase, 3. Diabase Porphyry. Let me explain all three.
I found a Dibase front Celt half and took it to a geologist at a local college because I had never encountered the stone type before. I took it to the college I am going to go to soon. The Geologists name is Prof. Judy Ninesteel.
Basalt is mainly black volcanic stone with small to micro crystals. Diabase has visible SMALL discolored of off colored areas that are really crystals, although you couldn't tell the odd coloration were crystals. And Diabase Porphyry has larger crystals (off colored areas) but again you can't see the actual the crystal shapes just colored areas. The second two will appear as discoloration in the stone. For me it was a green color and of course like most of you all, I thought it was copper with tarnish. Now Diabase Porphyry probably comes with larger crystal areas in nature but I think the natives used the less crystalline parts.

All basalt comes from the Triassic Period and was created about 251-199 MYA (I don't know what MYA means."

As for the shape I haven't looked it up yet.
Respects,
~Z~

zeawolf said:
Could be Basalt. Basalt comes in three (3) types. 1. Basalt, 2. Diabase, 3. Diabase Porphyry. Let me explain all three.
I found a Dibase front Celt half and took it to a geologist at a local college because I had never encountered the stone type before. I took it to the college I am going to go to soon. The Geologists name is Prof. Judy Ninesteel.
Basalt is mainly black volcanic stone with small to micro crystals. Diabase has visible SMALL discolored of off colored areas that are really crystals, although you couldn't tell the odd coloration were crystals. And Diabase Porphyry has larger crystals (off colored areas) but again you can't see the actual the crystal shapes just colored areas. The second two will appear as discoloration in the stone. For me it was a green color and of course like most of you all, I thought it was copper with tarnish. Now Diabase Porphyry probably comes with larger crystal areas in nature but I think the natives used the less crystalline parts.

All basalt comes from the Triassic Period and was created about 251-199 MYA (I don't know what MYA means."

As for the shape I haven't looked it up yet.
Respects,
~Z~

MYA-million years ago hence 251 to 199 million years ago

staggart said:
Hi,

I posted some pictures and the location where my son found this stone point last weekend at:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,101939.0.html

I was redirected here and was hoping I might get some help with getting more information about its possible age, material type and history of the people who may have created and lost it.

Many thanks,

Scott
I,ll go with basalt,always heard it made a pretty point but was hard to work. Jeff

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back