Arrow head found need help.

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
Found this arrow head a few years ago and just remembered I have it.It is beyond my scope of things.I hope there is someone that can tell me how old it is .Fake real...etc. I know there are a lot of arrow heads out there.I'm thinking this one is common.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks RD

Attachments

• arrow.JPG
    arrow.JPG
    8.3 KB · Views: 401
  • arrow.JPG
    arrow.JPG
    8.3 KB · Views: 404
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rob66

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
I was visiting some friends in mansfield Ohio. Metal detected a long a trail, dug up a penny and found it near by.

RD

badandy

Aug 31, 2005
Collinsville, IL.
From Ohio is looks most like a Hopewell point and is about 2500 to 1500 B.P. Could be made from Coshocton, or Upper Mercer flint. Hope this helps.
badandy

OP
OP
Rob66

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
More info I will ever find .Now I will research with what you gave me.

Thanks much !!!

RD

Rockhunter in Ohio

May 2, 2006
Looks to be Zaleski flint which was quarried in Vinton County, Ohio near the small hamlet of Zaleski. I would have to call it an Archaic Corner Notched Point. ( 5,000-7,000 BC) as the notches are not open and large enough like Hopewell points and it exhibits pressure flaking across the entire blade face ( also not seen on Hopewell points). Plus the fact that the Hopewell culture rarely used materials from Zaleski and the Coshocton deposits.

JMHO

P

pickaway

Nice find.Looks like rockhunter summed it up.I do however have a peice of coshocton that everyone I show it to thinks it flint ridge.I have never found a worked peice of zaleski flint.

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
It doesn't appear Hopewell to me, could be Jacks Reed though. What color is the material, jet black or a lighter color? Any mottling?

Rockhunter in Ohio

May 2, 2006
Matt R said:
It doesn't appear Hopewell to me, could be Jacks Reed though. What color is the material, jet black or a lighter color? Any mottling?

Could be an Intrusive Mound ( Jacks Reef) as Matt said. It looked to be quite thick in cross section for the type, but it's hard to tell from a picture. Most Intrusive Mound points are extremely thin in cross section and are rarely found whole. Of the 50 or so examples of Intrusive Mound points I have found, only one is whole.

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
I've seen collectors try to differentiate "intrusive mound" and "Jack's Reef". It's often said that the Intrusive Mound is a damn thin Jack's Reef. I'm not quite sure, I do know that they can be incredibly thin. Jack's Reef is intrusive mound culture and, as with most types, individual knapping prowess should be taken into account. In other words, if me and you set out to make identical types..they wouldn't be. If you get 10 knappers together, some naturally will have an ability to thin the biface much more than others. I've about beaten this phrase to death..."It's not what they make, it's what they were intending to make".

I agree, when I first saw it, I thought it had a thicker than normal cross section also. I'm just not sure what else it could be.

Johnny X

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2005
Jerseyville Illinois
Detector(s) used
White's Spec. XLT..... My Eyes
I was kind of leaning toward Jack's Reef as well. But from what i'm reading I guess it depends on the thickness.

xstevenx

ohioriver hunter

Apr 12, 2007
Rockhunter in Ohio said:
Looks to be Zaleski flint which was quarried in Vinton County, Ohio near the small hamlet of Zaleski. I would have to call it an Archaic Corner Notched Point. ( 5,000-7,000 BC) as the notches are not open and large enough like Hopewell points and it exhibits pressure flaking across the entire blade face ( also not seen on Hopewell points). Plus the fact that the Hopewell culture rarely used materials from Zaleski and the Coshocton deposits.

JMHO
Agreed,not Hopewell,most likely Archaic Jeff

OP
OP
Rob66

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Wow you people really know your stuff!!! "well... it is some kind of stone"flint?" black, yes.in some of the cracks(small) there is a streak of yellowish brown color.. maybe, or just some kind of dirt.I will take better picture tomorrow.

Thanks for the help.
RD

OP
OP
Rob66

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Just found out my friends father... has a box full I quess he finds them all the time.

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
OP
OP
Rob66

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006