Please help me decide on a metal detector!

chaselarkin123

Jun 11, 2015
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone,

I am completely new to the beach metal detecting world. I have met some cool people that hunt for treasure in Florida(where I live), so I decided that I am going to purchase a PI metal detector tomorrow before my first metal detecting outing this weekend. They are avid divers and treasure salvagers, and use aquapulse aqb1 units. I had originally debated going all out and also purchasing since this is going to be a lifelong hobby for me. After reading some information from forum members, it sounds as if the aqb1 is not as adequate for smaller targets or lower karat rings(commonly found from 1715 fleet). They mentioned that the higher (delay?)wont pick up lower karat and smaller items, but will detect larger and deeper objects. Can anyone confirm or deny this allegations? After reading this I'm wondering if I should just buy a entry level such as the Tesoro Sand Shark, since I will be searching wet sand and surf in florida 75% of the time and diving with it mayne 25%. Is anyone familiar with the specific units that work best with the specific mineralization of south florida waters? Thank you and any advice would be great as I am completely new and I'm only basing this off of what I've read. Thank you!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

chaselarkin123

Jun 11, 2015
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha thats great! That is a great tip for waterproofing, though I would need the ability to go a little deeper I think! I've heard the CTX 3030 is a great machine though!! The Excal II with the 10" coil sounds like my best choice for the first dive/ shallow water detector. One day I might have to get the Aquapulse AQ1B to join the arsenal. I am just intrigued by how powerful it is. I was talking to long time users, and they spoke about being able to detect trace amounts of iron present in pottery. The AQ1B sounds like a PI monster. I think I'll have to use one first and test myself to make sure I can still pick up small items!

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
Aquapulse doesn't makes me dream at all for what I'm doing. You have a few similar PI detectors like the AQ1B

JW Fischer, Elbinger ... they are all based on the same oldy technology. I am waiting for the AQUAMANTA, the waterproof version of the MANTA Detector = this will be a monster.

Don't know if you have already detect, but the ability to go deep will be les and less your priority when time (amount of air remaining) is coming into consideration.

"I prefer to dig 50 holes in an hour then 1 hole deep hole to find a piece of crap" :laughing9:

Go and get a Minelab Excalibur II 10" and if you have money, take 2 carbon shaft from Anderson (Pete, if you read this post, you can offer me a complete set :coins:), a long one for Shallow and a dhort one for scuba + 1 long & 1short down shaft (carbon fiber also) + buttons set. need to buy a good sand scoop with a good handle...

Let me introduce you THE sand scoop handle made of Carbon fiber and covered with fiberglass coat to protect the carbon from impact with kayak grip.

IMG_0725.JPG natural kayak-pad grip style.JPG pelles1.jpg

Scoops are from Starva scoops (Ukrain), but you have some good ones in the US, haven't tried them but they looks good = Stealth scoops series.

OP
OP
C

chaselarkin123

Jun 11, 2015
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very good way of putting it! I'm looking at the Anderson shafts now. That is going to be the first thing I purchase for it. The carbon fiber scoop is also a good idea to save weight while lasting forever. Thanks for the cool ideas. I've been on the Anderson website since you sent this and I now know that I need this haha. I'm also glad to see that Kellyco in my area has them also!!!

Sleepy

Jan 20, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's DFX White's Spectrum XLT, 2 Fisher CZ21's, 2 Tesoro Compadre's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sounds similar to the type pinpoint button on the CZ21. I have wondered about that before and if they made one like that which could be used on the Excalibur. It would definitely solve the issue of wearing out. Great work thanks for sharing that.

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
That sounds similar to the type pinpoint button on the CZ21. I have wondered about that before and if they made one like that which could be used on the Excalibur. It would definitely solve the issue of wearing out. Great work thanks for sharing that.

Very good observation Sleepy, it is probably the push button used on the CZ-21 BUT:

- It is only a push button on the CZ => press go into PP mode, release comes back to discri (if I remember well) / min is latching => 1 press PP/mode, an other press back to discri mod
- The color of the botton on the CZ-21 is yellow gold, which is according to the manufacturer ONLY available in Aluminium, mine is S.Steel 316L
Maybe someone owning a CZ-21 can check if the button is made of aluminium......

Sleepy

Jan 20, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's DFX White's Spectrum XLT, 2 Fisher CZ21's, 2 Tesoro Compadre's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's good information Frogmaster-Riviera, thank you. And I just checked the gold pinpoint button on my CZ21 and it doesn't attract a magnet so I assume its aluminum. Thanks again.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Very Nice work Froggy!! You should be on the Minelab design team.

I'm with Casper, Learn your machine to it's best.... Research.. Do the time, And you will be rewarded...

No matter which you chose.

That being said, I like the Excalibur the best for me, and the reason, Very Versatile in Most conditions.

Simple to operate, and performance can be enhanced with modification.

OP
OP
C

chaselarkin123

Jun 11, 2015
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much everyone for all your help!! You have all helped a ton in making this decision. I ended up buying the Excalibur II, and I'm excited to get out and use it this weekend(If I can wait that long)!! Since I am a complete beginner, should I start with searching in pinpoint mode, or discriminate? Is on deeper than the other? Thanks!

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Congrats chase. Start in pp, which goes a bit deeper and switch to disc when you get a tone. If the tone goes silent (nulls) when you switch to disc its usually iron. Just remember to keep the coil low and swing slow. GL and HH

OP
OP
C

chaselarkin123

Jun 11, 2015
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay thank you penzfan, I'll do that! Going hunting on Monday for the first time so I'll just use pp, and then scan over in disc to try to learn the different sounds. Do you want to let the metal detector completely die before you recharge it, or is it fine to charge it at night in between searches?

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Congratulations on a wise decision! You'll love this machine. You've obviously taken to heart the great advice provided by the contributors to this thread.

Having said that, a few popular mods can enhance it tremendously. First, get a new shaft...straight or over and under. The straight shaft balances better; the O/U is handy as the controls are "right there." Since I use a harness, the balance isn't such a big issue so I use the O/U on my 10"coil Excal and the straight shaft on my Excal with the 12x15 SEF. Works for me. Next mod would be the pinpoint mod on the grip. Very convenient indeed. Another mod would be to replace the headphones. I use Gray Ghost Amphibians and Underwater versions.

These suggested mods can be made after the warranty expires except the shaft...that one won't negate the warranty and is a "must do" in most Excal users opinions and I think it won't take you long to agree.

Good hunting...you now own one of, if not the best, multi-frequency beach and water hunting machines made.

OP
OP
C

chaselarkin123

Jun 11, 2015
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much, and I agree ColonelDan! Makes me feel more confident with my decision!! The members on this forum have been absolutely great. I feel that I'm quickly learning different different tips and tricks, thanks to the advice from all of the experienced members on here! I quickly tested the detector in my back yard and I can already tell that the shaft has to go. I tried to purchase the tall Anderson carbon fiber shaft, but kellyco was out at the moment unfortunately, so I'm waiting for them to get the new shipment in. To hold me over until then, I bought the Anderson hip mount to use until they get the new shafts in. I want to replace the knobs ASAP after reading everything on here. After I learn to use the detector and the warranty runs out, I will be quick to upgrade to that 15" coil! I'm sure the increased depth and surface coverage help a ton!

OP
OP
C

chaselarkin123

Jun 11, 2015
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really? I was under the impression that larger coils gave you more depth....? I looked on the Anderson website and couldn't find anywhere to purchase. Called Kellyco and it sounds like they're on back order. I'll just wait until they come in so that I don't have to pay shipping and wait on shipping from Canada!

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Look on eBay...
Really? I was under the impression that larger coils gave you more depth....? I looked on the Anderson website and couldn't find anywhere to purchase. Called Kellyco and it sounds like they're on back order. I'll just wait until they come in so that I don't have to pay shipping and wait on shipping from Canada!

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Right you are frogmaster. My 10" BBS goes just as deep as my 15" WOT and is much more stable in the salt...
depth not really..but surface coverage YES.

You can buy from Anderson direct.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
No need to let it die. You'll notice less sensitivity as the batteries get weaker. I usually recharge after they get down to 12 volts. Charging between searches is fine.
Do you want to let the metal detector completely die before you recharge it, or is it fine to charge it at night in between searches?

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I lile the WOT underwater to cover extensive areas. You will be able to go a bit deeper in a clean environnement which is almost impossible on the beach or while surfing the wade. Anyway you won't double the depth! I'll post a vid of underwater detection with excalibur: sensivity is set to max, PP mod and excalibur is stable 100%

OP
OP
C

chaselarkin123

Jun 11, 2015
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay cool, thank you!! That would be awesome to see that. I tried the MD out in my backyard, but I'm not able to get out and detect until Monday. I'm excited to see what this thing can do!! I have the 10" coil, which should be perfect for me, for now at least. As far as the Anderson shaft goes, it's looking like they are just on back order everywhere. I will pick one up in person when a store close to me restocks them. Until then, the Anderson hip mount should be sufficient. Thanks for your help!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions