Please help me decide which to buy - Vaquero or Cibola?

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Mojave.
Is the manual ground balance feature of the Vaquero the only difference between the two?

Does the Vaquero's manual ground balance need to constantly be adjusted as you move about a site as some have said?

Will not having the ability to manually adjust the ground balance on the Cibola cause loss of depth?

Is the Vaquero worth the extra $100 more than the Cibola, why or why not?

If anyone has owned both - which do you like better and why?

thanks to my tesoro friends,

ian

relikhunter

Jul 17, 2006
S.E. kansas
Detector(s) used
whites dfx garrett gtp 1350
The cibola is tuned to handle most conditions.Manual ground balance is better because you will be about to tune out any ground you come into contact with.Takes a little getting used to the man.bal. but once you do i think you will get better depth..rh

allanw23

Dec 19, 2006
oklahoma city, ok
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro
Sounds like you have a lot of questions about Tesoro call me at 1-800-777-1799. Ive been a Tesoro dealer over 25 years. Ill be glad to help you out. It really depends on the soil conditions where you plan to hunt. Buy the Vaquero if you have highly mineralized soil. You will need the manual ground balance to get better depth.

Boilermaker27

Oct 16, 2003
St. Louis
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon/Minelab Safari/Minelab Excalibur2
If I were you I would also consider the Tejon. Great price and a great machine.

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
USED: Garrett ATX, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I recently have gotten the Vaquero, and I am completely astonished at the depth of the coins I am finding...4 weeks ago I found a 1854 half dime at over 7 1/2 inches..I like the ground balance because of all the minerals in the ground around my place. Yes you do need to check the gb when moving a great distance... over 100 yards. the gb on the vaq is very easy to set...I did it in less than a minute the first time.. I thought I did it wrong... I highly recommend the vaq. You can also super tune it to really reach deep, but wait until you get used to it or it will leave you dissapointed... I have had mine for two months and have found more in these two months than six with my previous... if you do get the vaq pm me and i'll give you some help...i'm not a expert but have logged alot of time since I got it..and each day it gets easier to know when to dig... You just have to let the machine tell you....
By the way I also found a heart buckle at 11 inches about two weeks ago..

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ian, during our emails I thought I answered many of these same questions and more. I've given you the Hyperlink to Tesoro's website where the manuals and field tests are available.

Wasss Up?

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on where you live. I got the Cibola and I tell you it is a dream machine. I can air test coins supertuned at 16" I live in Virginia so there really is no need for the ground balance. The Cibola is already preset to handle most conditions. If you live somewhere like the SouthWest than you may want to get the Vaquero...but if you live somewhere that isnt very mineralized (most of the Eastern U.S.) than you will be Great to go with the Cibola. I LOVE MINE and would not trade it for the Vaquero. It has never given me false signals or been troubled by ground minerals.

Sentinel

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here's the differences between the Vaquero and the Cibola; the Vaquero has the manual GB, and the Cibola has the preset GB, and $100. If your sure that you will never encounter mineralized ground, then get the Cibola and save the $100 so you can buy a pin pointer( like a vibraprobe that just happens to cost around $100).
If you get the Vaquero, whatever ground you encounter, you can adjust the manual GB to keep your MD going as deep as possible without false signals. Something else, if you just like the turn-on-and-go feature of the Cibola, you can get the same thing with the Vaquero. All you have to do is set the 3 1/2 turn knob of the GB control exactly in the middle. This is the same setting as the factory preset GB on the Cibola.
So with the Vaquero have much more versatility than with the Cibola, and the name of the game with treasure hunting is to have as many capabilities in the field as you can afford.

ernie

Jun 11, 2004
i believe that jack Gifford said this many years ago.(a preset ground balance will give prettygood performance most of the time but a manual ground balance will give great performance if set right but set it wrong and disaster

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
USED: Garrett ATX, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ernie said:
i believe that jack Gifford said this many years ago.(a preset ground balance will give prettygood performance most of the time but a manual ground balance will give great performance if set right but set it wrong and disaster
yeah, but the vaq is so easy to set, friend set mine and he's never even used a detector... I gave him the instruction manual and he read it and set it himself...(he's thinking about purchasing one, so he wanted to know how to do it)...

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want to pay the extra 80 dollars than go for it...I have two others with ground balance but I tell you on the Cibola. I have never needed it, even in mineralized ground. I consistently am picking things up at the same depths as my buddy with his Minelab Explorer $1200 Metal Detector and many times have left with more relics than he. So, the Vaquero is nice but the Cibola, if you dont live in the middle of a desert, in my opinion, is the way to go. I like the suggestion of the fellow above...Use the extra 100 dollars and go get you a pinpointer ;) The cibola also has abit of a faster sweep speed than the Vaquero. I have had the pleasure of using them both.

OP
OP
S

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Mojave.
thanks for the info guys. I got a silver umax on a trade that I'm using and I think I'll be picking up a Cibola when I can find a good deal on one. I really like the silver and I'll bet the cibola is just as nice and a bit deeper.

ian

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got the best deal on a DeLeon from Dixie Metal Detectors of Madison, TN. Check them out at www.dixie-metal-detectors.com . They have some history Cd's I intend to order as soon as my budget allows. Oh yeah---no shipping charge for Tesoro detectors and no sales tax if you don't live in TN. Good people. I sound like a sales agent, but I'm NOT. I just like to recommend the businesses that treat me fair.

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If its there CIBOLA WILL find it! It is VEERRRYY Deep and uses Tesoro's new H.O.T. Technology in its coil. Cant go wrong with it. I consistently go head to head with my buddy with his Minelab Explorer and on many days his is found wanting while I pull up all kinds of goodies. So sensitive that I pulled up a tiny .22 caliber bullet from about 8-10inches. It was coming in loud and clear on the headphones too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread