Tried My New Vaquero Today

Tykit

Jan 20, 2007
Middlesex, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, Fisher
My first Tesoro, got it last week. Used it today at the NJ shore, ground is not frozen there (at least the top 5 inches of sand wasn't) and it's only 45 minutes away. After just 1 -2 hours practice I just about knew what was in the sand before I scooped it, about 75% accurate calls. Some of the items I dug up were not air tested at home,(large steel bolts, nuts, large washers, & other odd things in the sand) those I got wrong, along with a few rusty crimped bottle caps. I called just about every piece of foil correctly and even an AA battery. The battery discriminated out at the same number (on the knob) as my air test at home. OK, so mostly I felt sure what the targets were, but it could have been a gold ring, (they could disc. out at any point) so still, I had to scoop it to know for sure. This is a great detector, I like the accurate discrimination of the USUAL junk items we all find. When searching, the knob was set at 5 - 10, for low discrimination. When I got a hit I thumbed the knob higher thru the numbers till the signal stopped and compared the last number to the air test numbers for bottle caps, pull tabs, etc. This knob is seen in the photo, it came off a piece of electronic equipment,(just barely fits in place) is easy to thumb, and rotates over the black mark. Turn it to 0 and it clicks the All Metal mode on. All Foil pieces discriminated out at 22 - 24, Nickels at 27, AA battery 7, all pull tabs 32 - 50, all screw caps 52 - 67, etc. During the air tests, I made a list of the usual junk items showing the disc. point ranges to glance at while detecting, till I can remember them. The pinpoint button was covered with a rubber button to keep dirt and sand out, and since I use headphones the speaker slots were covered (and yet the sound comes thru the plastic just as loud). Two batteries were added below, held in place by a home made clip and parallel wired up, all three provide power, still 9V. Great detector, accurate pinpointing, it even worked in the wet sand (at the edge of the waves) with sensitivity at 6 and the disc. turned up a little. Didn't dig the wet sand, didn't want to get hit by a wave in the middle of Feb. Nice detector.

Attachments

• tesoroKnobs 004.jpg
    tesoroKnobs 004.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 527
  • tesoroBatts. 002.jpg
    tesoroBatts. 002.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 521

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Mojave.
Nice Post, I'm looking to buy a Vaquero and it was nice to see that you actually CAN determine what you are digging without a screen. What is the purpose of the extra batteries- to keep it going longer? Did you just split off the lead or something? Do you anticipate that it will last 3 x's as long? What is the item you used to hook the 9volts to the machine?

ian

OP
OP
T

Tykit

Jan 20, 2007
Middlesex, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, Fisher
Ian, the extra batteries will give me full power 3 times longer before all 3 get weak, will run on 1, 2, or 3.
The two red leads are soldered to one of the metal strips that contacts the original battery, the two black leads soldered to the other. Caution, it could be very easy to hook up the wires backwards. But it is not necessary to add batteries, just have a spare with you.
The numbered dial is a great thing to have tho. Dave
The battery holder is a strip if metal, bent to fit.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread