Please help newbie finds first large cent

Fast Ed

Jan 31, 2013
Scotia, ny
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Garrett AT Max, Garrett Pro Pointer, Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OMG I'm going whacko. Please forgive me but I'm really excited. How do I protect/clean my large cent. Found it today about 8" deep on a 1700's circa house site with AT Pro. I have it soaking in hot water and soap. Its really green and can't make out the date yet. What do I do? Olive oil???? I don't care if its not worth a million its my first and yaknow that's special.....

Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will tell you all soil is different,but water ruined my first large cent

OP
OP
Fast Ed

Fast Ed

Jan 31, 2013
Scotia, ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yikes Kuger is that all ya got? What should be done

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector_searching.gif
Pictures - we need pictures Fast Ed!
killingme.gif

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ive used olive oil on 3 of mine but they were too far gone, and for gods sake DONT RUB lol i did on one of mine and rubbed any potential for dating right off of it, the olive oil works, only if the date isnt totally gone

OP
OP
Fast Ed

Fast Ed

Jan 31, 2013
Scotia, ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its in olive oil right now but can't a date even with a magnifying glass. How long should it sit in the oil? Sorry no pictures as I'm pretty technologically challenged

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yikes Kuger is that all ya got? What should be done

Yep,I dont do anything to mine now(if anything,I let em dry and lightly brush with a soft bristled brush)...if you are trying to remove the "green",that is Patina,different soil types create different patina....my dirt creates a patina that when straight water is applied to any copper or brass item,the patina flakes off,taking all detail with it.Oil wont hurt it....other than turn it dark,which can make detail hard to read as well.Some coins/artifacts just are too far gone,and trying to bring out something that isnt there just causes damage

OP
OP
Fast Ed

Fast Ed

Jan 31, 2013
Scotia, ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't have tried anything but I couldn't read the date. I'm letting it dry out after soaking in olive oil. My guess is the date is gone forever? As I look at the coin she is facing to the left with LIBERTY ribbon in hair. Stars on border. One cent with leaf clusters on back. Coin may have been made into a button at some point as there looks to be the remains of a shank on back. A hole goes through where the shank middle was all the way through to front......oh well I was and am thrilled to find it....

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. Too bad you couldn't get more detail out of it but many Large Cents were worn to toast before they even hit the ground.

OP
OP
Fast Ed

Fast Ed

Jan 31, 2013
Scotia, ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah Thanks man, I guess they didn't much respect back in those days from what I've been reading...
Nice find. Too bad you couldn't get more detail out of it but many Large Cents were worn to toast before they even hit the ground.

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fast Ed said:
OMG I'm going whacko. Please forgive me but I'm really excited. How do I protect/clean my large cent. Found it today about 8" deep on a 1700's circa house site with AT Pro. I have it soaking in hot water and soap. Its really green and can't make out the date yet. What do I do? Olive oil???? I don't care if its not worth a million its my first and yaknow that's special.....

I agree with Kuger I wouldn't use water on coppers. I've ruined a couple that way... I only use a toothpick now to get the crud off, nothing else. It works great on indianhead pennies.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you tried taking a rubbing of the coin? It's not gonna make it look any better but you might be able to make out a date. Congrats on the large cent.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Fast Ed

Fast Ed

Jan 31, 2013
Scotia, ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you tried taking a rubbing of the coin? It's not gonna make it look any better but you might be able to make out a date. Congrats on the large cent.:thumbsup:

That is a good idea. Can you explain how I should do it? Should I just use a #2 pencil over plain paper?

OP
OP
Fast Ed

Fast Ed

Jan 31, 2013
Scotia, ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because the head is facing left this coin was minted between 1808 - 1814 or 1816 - 1839 or 1839 - 1857.....There were none minted in 1815 because of a fire at the Phil mint. Coins minted from 1793 to 1807 all had the heads facing right with various differences to the back.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a good idea. Can you explain how I should do it? Should I just use a #2 pencil over plain paper?
Find a thin piece of paper and lay it over the coin. I would use the side of the pencil point keeping it almost parallel to the paper and rub it very lightly across the date area of the coin. If you happen to have a charcoal pencil lying around they work pretty well also. Good luck.

prolab69

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
in the stix of NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i would take it out of olive oil and use a hot peroxide bath, first remove all the oil, then use a small dish, fill one inch of hydrogen peroxide, microwave the perox- for half a min, then drop in the coin. after about 4 or 5 hours you can pick at the crust with a tooth pic, sounds like the thing is toast, so value isnt an issue. a peroxide bath can sometimes bring out a date, but it can also make it worse. if it was older? id say dont touch it. but it sounds like a common matron head largie.

OP
OP
Fast Ed

Fast Ed

Jan 31, 2013
Scotia, ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find a thin piece of paper and lay it over the coin. I would use the side of the pencil point keeping it almost parallel to the paper and rub it very lightly across the date area of the coin. If you happen to have a charcoal pencil lying around they work pretty well also. Good luck.

Thanks I'll try it....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions