PLEASE HELP US ID!!!! SOMETHING AWESOME???? PLEASE ASSIST!!!!

Marie0424

Jul 25, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone!!! :hello: I LOVE this site so much!!! You guys are ROCKSTARS!!!! :hello2: So I posted this on the end of my other thread and someone suggested this could be a very awesome find! We found one of these and thought, hmmmm, this must be something important because it has a very polished sharp point, but had no clue what it could be, so we saved it. But then we found another! The sharp point broke off to the second one because...well, I was carrying it and I fell while I was...walking...cause I am a mess. haha! Any ideas??? Thanks in advance for assistance!!!!:icon_thumleft: This was a land find near an area with Danish and English presence 1700-1800s... What do you think? ANY IDEAS? :icon_scratch: IMG_9255.jpg IMG_9262.JPG IMG_9263.JPG IMG_9264.JPG IMG_9266.JPG IMG_9267.JPG

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Its a caltrop,an anti cavalry weapon.no matter how you throw it on the ground a point always stays upright.

Upvote 0

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What is it made of? Brass , Bone? Will it stand straight up? I hope it's what I think it is!

Upvote 0
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
No idea,what is it made out of,where did it come from.Thats what it looks like anyway.I dont see why one couldnt be made out of bone,even a hard wood.a horse hits one at full gallop its going down,even from a wooden one.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Marie0424

Jul 25, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Screen Shot 2015-09-16 at 9.52.30 PM.png
What is it made of? Brass , Bone? Will it stand straight up? I hope it's what I think it is!

It appears it DOES stand up! The other one does too! I don't know what it is made of - not a metal, bone or wood.

Upvote 0
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
In what country was it found.Good improvisation who ever did it.Got to cancel out WW2 though cavalry just wasnt used as much anymore.why use a caltrop when you can use a submachine gun:laughing7:WW1 maybe but still doubtfull.Napolionic wars,could be,guerrilla bands,partisans.Homemade weapons.It would be more of a hit and run tactic,unless they were used in a defensive position,throw them in the road and wait,catch a patrol coming and sucker them in.:laughing9:

Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fish bone... ?
Its bone... by appearance anyway.

Maybe a native "caltrop" as suggested perhaps ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
In what country was it found.Good improvisation who ever did it.Got to cancel out WW2 though cavalry just wasnt used as much anymore.why use a caltrop when you can use a submachine gun:laughing7:WW1 maybe but still doubtfull.Napolionic wars,could be,guerrilla bands,partisans.Homemade weapons.It would be more of a hit and run tactic,unless they were used in a defensive position,throw them in the road and wait,catch a patrol coming and sucker them in.:laughing9:

The Korean war was what? 60 years ago? Anyhow, I was a teenager, and have a fuzzy recollection of reading a news article about them being used to flatten tires on enemy trucks and then shooting up the stranded trucks in the daylight. Have no idea how true it is, just a fading memory. Supposedly dropped on roads by aircraft. Seems like a stretch. but just crazy enough that it might have worked one time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last night I looked and looked on the "fish bone" possibility as that is what occurred to me. Apparently this is not in the US - so large pike or wels catfish, maybe. Sturgeon are more cartilaginous. Also, turtles have rib/shell structures that were iffy close.

If it's non-metallic I'd toss the caltrop possibility. And they will always have a point up no matter how they land. You don't have to work at it.

Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last night I looked and looked on the "fish bone" possibility as that is what occurred to me. Apparently this is not in the US - so large pike or wels catfish, maybe. Sturgeon are more cartilaginous. Also, turtles have rib/shell structures that were iffy close.

If it's non-metallic I'd toss the caltrop possibility. And they will always have a point up no matter how they land. You don't have to work at it.

Agreed... was just waiting for someone else to "chime in" on this one.

PS> I believe stated place of "finding" it was V.I. from another post.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
If it's non-metallic I'd toss the caltrop possibility.

Depends on how you look at it.If you need something,and its usually made of metal and you dont have any.Improvise,adapt,overcome.Native Americans made fish hooks out of bone,also wood.It caught fish.The main idea of a caltrop is to stop a horse,break its stride,slow it down,or down it.Doing so would cause a cluster flock.It wouldnt matter what it was made of as long as it served its intended purpose.

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sure they made bone fish hooks - and used them one at a time.

One or two caltrops don't do squat. You need hundreds to make an area of denial. And if that was bone - what was the source? Bones tend to be hollow so that had to come from some bone with that shape mostly ready. Have a theory on which bone and from what?

I'd go for sewing awl to punch holes in leather rather than a one-pointed caltrop that has to be set in place to be point up.

And if you only have a few - just a sharp stick set in the ground point up would be a LOT easier and faster.

Upvote 0
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Sure they made bone fish hooks - and used them one at a time.

You didnt do your home work charles,you best be looking that up:laughing9:Native Americans were the first fishermen to use lines with multiple hooks.Whoops on your part.

One or two caltrops don't do squat. You need hundreds to make an area of denial. And if that was bone - what was the source? Bones tend to be hollow so that had to come from some bone with that shape mostly ready. Have a theory on which bone and from what?

Never said one or two would,youre assuming again charles.You going to chase me where ever i go in Tnet throwing out assumption,sad.The source of bone?Ahhh maybe an animal:BangHead:Please correct me if im wrong but bone does come from animal,am i right.The only animal with hollow bones are birds.I also never stated it was bone.

Upvote 0

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
it does have the shape of a caltrop but I think it's organic...

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Judging by the 2 photos below, I think your items are someone's whittling from a wooden tree branch or as SodBuster said from a locust thorn. It looks like a carved Honey Locust tree thorn. Perhaps the person needed an awl for leather punch or sewing as Charlie said.

In the first photo, you can see where it has decorative lines carved/whittled in the base. In the second photo, you can see the base was broken from a tree branch. The third photo is Locust Tree thorns, and if you're interested in buying some, here is the website: https://www.etsy.com/listing/243954...search_query=tree sculpture&ref=sr_gallery_32

Thorn.jpg

Thorn2.JPG

Thorn3.jpg

Neat finds :)
Breezie

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions