please help with coin

C

cjjtsmom

Hi I am new to this site,and have a ?.
I bought a coin and I can't fine anything out about it.

On the front it has a cherokee indian head. The coin is the size of a quarter and is raised in the center the size of a dime. The indian head is on top and also raised.

The back says states of the union North carolina. It has the state in the center with Raleigh in the center of the state. under the state it says cheif.

has anyone ever seen a coin like this? Thank you

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

cjjtsmom

Hi thank you, not sure it could be.

? do you know how to add a picture.

I have pictures of the coin to show what it looks like.

Attachments

• DSC01650.JPG
    DSC01650.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 372

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Save your pic to desktop....then in your mail message, below, see ATTACH and browse......Browse your desktop items until you find pic , click open and it will attach to the message.

OP
OP
C

cjjtsmom

Had to put back of coin as profile

OP
OP
C

cjjtsmom

I believe so. It puts my metal detector to 10

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
I believe that this North Carolina silver medal is probably from one of the various "States of the Union" collector series/sets, such as the ones issued by the Franklin Mint in 1969-70.

OP
OP
C

cjjtsmom

Thanks but the states of the union set you are talking about are bronze,mine is silver.

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
cjjtsmom said:
Thanks but the states of the union set you are talking about are bronze,mine is silver.

Actually, I think it's probably from one of the other, non-Franklin Mint sets issued in the 70's and 80's; but as a matter of fact, the Franklin Mint "States of the Union" series was struck both in bronze and in sterling silver. Also, the "Mini-Coins" 1969 version was offered in sterling silver and platinum, and the "Governor's Edition" of the same series, struck in 1970-72, was silver as well.

Source: Guidebook of Franklin Mint Issues by Chester L. Krause

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cjjtsmom said:
Welcome to the forum cjjtsmom, if you spend enough time on t-net, you'll discover PBK is a research guru and can usually ID anything.

OP
OP
C

cjjtsmom

this is not from the franklin mint.

after searching I thank it may be a game piece from shell oil co. made in 1969.

not 100% sure still searching.

thank you for all the help

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
cjjtsmom said:
after searching I thank it may be a game piece from shell oil co. made in 1969.
not 100% sure still searching.

Interesting... Then it's not silver after all? So much for my guess, I guess!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread