Please mind your own business.

MarySeminole

Dec 6, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
School was closed on Saturday and I was minding my own business, when a school custodian showed up to tell me that the last time someone detected there two years ago, the cops showed up to take him away in bracelet's.
I wasn't finding anything anyway so I did the right thing by not escalating the situation and just walked away.
There wasn't any signs prohibiting detecting and I've been there plenty of times before, always making sure not to make a mess and fill in the small holes.
I'm so tired of people.
Just leave me alone please.

Upvote 0

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
X2 on permission.

I called the superintendant of my local district to make sure that I was good to go, so I get to ignore the looky-loo's.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm all for obtaining permission on private property, government owned property is another story.

I'm not saying go tear up any government land you want, but with discretion and common sense, you can hunt a lot of sights without putting some government employee on the spot.

It is practically impossible to find someone who could actually give legal permission most times, and if they could why would they?

If a janitor would threaten me like that, I would say something like, " hard to believe I would get arrested for picking up all this trash", show him your pouch full of junk......This has helped me many times. GL

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It doesn't matter if you have a trash bag full of kleenex's and soda cans... Schools have the right to kick you off their property for any reason...
These are the days that there are zero tolerance policies, trespassing, smoking, weapons, all that stuff thanks to where society is today.
Schools in many areas have a fence around them for a reason, as do most of the schools in my area. If you got a kid in school, no doubt you've seen the sign at the entrance that reads: All visitors must report to the office, or language similar to that effect...there is a reason for that.
Schools are off-limits when I am hunting for new turf to beep, unless of course I have asked for permission....

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
With all due respect for big-wave-dave, cooper36, & beerguy, "asking permission" is not necessarily the solution. For several reasons:

a) what do you do if you get a "no", that you suspect is totally arbitrary and whimsical ? Eg.: just as gold maven says: "why should they?". You can be the latest victim of "no one cared UNTIL you asked". This is of course, assuming that the mere presence of being on the school grounds isn't itself prohibited. Ie.: truly fenced, and you can't even jog the track, shoot hoops, etc... But if the grounds have access for those type usages , then why would you think you need "permission", any more than them ? The mere asking implies you are in some sort of class of risk or damage or evil, that it needs-their-sanction in the first place. Thus merely causing them to give the "safe" answer a lot of times.

b) the fact that some people have gotten a "yes", does not mean "therefore asking was necessary". Because let's face it, did you really think anyone would answer in this way: "That's a silly question. Why are you asking me ? You don't need my permission". No. On the contrary. Authority never works like that. They will bestow on you their princely yes or no. Neither of which meant "therefore their permission was necessary" IMHO.

c) Even if you got a yes, there's still AMPLE stories of persons who proudly whip out their "permission" to show the griper. The griper merely gets on their cell phone, calls to city hall or district office and says "... but he's tearing the place up!" (which isn't true, of course).

Thus just pick lower traffic times and avoid such lookie lous. AND I HIGHLY DOUBT ANYONE WAS LED AWAY IN HANDCUFFS for md'ing at a school yard. That's utterly bogus.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
You were probably hunting his private hunting grounds.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With that being said Tom, you can come to Ft. Myers and hunt with me any time you want. We got beaches, old homes, parks...I won't let you waste our time at a school however, not worth it.
See, I tend to not overthink things like this... All we are looking for are small metal objects with a machine...too many places, too many choices.
Now that I really think about it, I hated school as a kid, why would I want to spend time there as an adult?

QMaze

Aug 3, 2015
Windsor, ON
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235-X |
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You had another recent thread with a similar incident this is how I would attack these issues. Get yourself really informed, visit you local municipality and get in writing any bylaws regarding metal detecting within the county and make copies to keep with you. If you are legally allowed to detect whether it be through this documentation or possible a permit arm yourself with this information for any further incidents. Don't let ignorance shut you down especially with your new found research and don't be bullied. If you have the right to be there and your being respectful to the ground your detecting enjoy your hobby and don't get discouraged by those not as informed as yourself.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is an advantage to living in a lower income area, nobody gives a darn about the school property.. the kids make a bigger mess than I could ever make! I did tell someone once that I have been paying $6000 a year in property/school tax for 23 years and have no kids, those quarters are mind if I can find them!:laughing7:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
..... arm yourself with this information for any further incidents......

Trouble is, even if the OP arms himself with the info that there is no specific dis-allowance (ie.: no rule or law that truly says "no metal detecting"), the busy-body can merely say you're violating the "alter and deface" verbage. Or "harvest/take/collect" verbage, etc.....

So rather than think you and I are going to please every last busy-body on the planet, just avoid such lookie-lou gripers and go at lower traffic times. Why swat a hornet's nest ? It's gotten to where I do most of my turf hunting at night nowadays. So peaceful. So serene. Md'ing is a little like nose-picking: Not necessarily illegal, and you don't need anyone's "permission", yet you pick discreet times to do it, so as not to offend the squeemish, eh ? :tongue3:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So, as a coin licker, you can guess the problem I have after I pick my nose.:dontknow:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Having been run off sites 3 times by Sheriff's Department, and numerous times by unknown civilians, I ALWAYS check legalities and permissions.

Sorry, that's just the way it should be done - we don't need no stinking trouble as a hobby.

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can only speak for where I metal detect. If on public space, I don't carry any big digging tools and try to recover the target with a pinpointer and screwdriver. If I cut turf, it is not when the area is bone dry and only on 3 sides of the sod. If I cut a few holes, I move a short distance away so if approached, the area I am in looks pristine. I can always come back later. I do this not because there is a "rule", but out of respect and avoidance of a problem. You sure don't want to be accused of damaging public property. I have never once been kicked off a place. I have had both police and caretakers watch me for a while and even talked to some of them. I have seen a few guys with shovels and bet their experience is different.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Tom, first off - a custodian has no authority to run you off. A principle doesn't have the authority to run you off either.
If there are no rules or signs saying metal detecting is illegal, why would you ask permission? Who would you ask? No one has the "power" to give you or deny permission to hunt school grounds.
These grounds are "city" or the "peoples" property. Go to the cities website - If there are no rules banning metal detecting - You are good to go.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm am giggling like a five-year-old! :laughing7:

This ENTIRE thread is moot! If you are in a PUBLIC park or school you are subject to the whims of THE PUBLIC. That means if the old man walking his dog "thinks" you are harshing "his" park - you are, end of story. If the school janitor "thinks" you are tearing up his school - you are, end of story. So, how do you get around this? You do your thing when "old man walking his dog," and "school janitor" are not there to confront you. If you hunt parks and schools do it from Sunrise to 6:45am on a Sunday morning, not on a school day or at times when "The Public" is using "their" park or school.

If you want to be a pirate, act like one! :skullflag:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with Tom, first off - a custodian has no authority to run you off. A principle doesn't have the authority to run you off either.
If there are no rules or signs saying metal detecting is illegal, why would you ask permission? Who would you ask? No one has the "power" to give you or deny permission to hunt school grounds.
These grounds are "city" or the "peoples" property. Go to the cities website - If there are no rules banning metal detecting - You are good to go.

In the "Real" world, the above opinion doesn't fly. You are NOT "good to go," if the custodian or Principal calls local law enforcement. YOU will NOT win the "argument," and YOU will be the "Problem" EVERY time. Just avoid problems and use common sense! :occasion14:

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm am giggling like a five-year-old! :laughing7:

This ENTIRE thread is moot! If you are in a PUBLIC park or school you are subject to the whims of THE PUBLIC. That means if the old man walking his dog "thinks" you are harshing "his" park - you are, end of story. If the school janitor "thinks" you are tearing up his school - you are, end of story. So, how do you get around this? You do your thing when "old man walking his dog," and "school janitor" are not there to confront you. If you hunt parks and schools do it from Sunrise to 6:45am on a Sunday morning, not on a school day or at times when "The Public" is using "their" park or school.

If you want to be a pirate, act like one! :skullflag:

Agreed Terry: I hunt schools on Saturday and Sunday mornings, when the Kids are at the park. And I hunt the park on weekdays, when the kids are at school. I too hunt early mornings, to avoid the park crowd. Just me and the dog walkers! I avoid conflict at all cost, just makes for a better day!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread