Please mind your own business.

MarySeminole

Dec 6, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
School was closed on Saturday and I was minding my own business, when a school custodian showed up to tell me that the last time someone detected there two years ago, the cops showed up to take him away in bracelet's.
I wasn't finding anything anyway so I did the right thing by not escalating the situation and just walked away.
There wasn't any signs prohibiting detecting and I've been there plenty of times before, always making sure not to make a mess and fill in the small holes.
I'm so tired of people.
Just leave me alone please.

Upvote 0

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will never tell anybody what to do or where to hunt. However, it seems rather...elementary....that people should just stay away from schools in todays world. Staff, parents, and even the children are on heightened alert for painfully obvious reasons. Our petty hobby of digging metal is absolutely no reason to increase their anxiety.

If you can get permission and the staff has no issue...more power to you.

Here is a tidbit I found on a law forum...sums it up pretty good IMO.

"Public property", contrary to the common person's belief, does NOT mean OPEN to the public, but rather owned and controlled by a public entity - such as a school board - and that entity and it's representatives have the ability, to control access and to deny ALL access to those who don't have legitimate business related to the nature of the property. In other words, people like students, teachers, parents on school grounds for purposes related to their attending children, repair persons, etc. all have reason to be doing "school things" on school grounds, Anyone NOT fitting that category isn't doing "school things" on school grounds, and the school can absolutely restrict them from being on the property. By your argument, the White House is "public property", which is similarly supported by your tax dollars, but no, you can't just make USE of that property at will, even with no one around.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the "Real" world, the above opinion doesn't fly. You are NOT "good to go," if the custodian or Principal calls local law enforcement. YOU will NOT win the "argument," and YOU will be the "Problem" EVERY time. Just avoid problems and use common sense! :occasion14:

Maybe it's different in other States, but here we go by the law - If the law doesn't prohibit it, I win every time. So, not sure how other States can just make up laws as you go? Sounds dictator-ish to me?

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is the trick to pretty much any school, you wouldn't think so but school ground are considered private property, therefore the superintendent has the authority to grant or deny access to the property as they see fit in order to protect the children. It is typically okay to hunt school grounds, but never during regular school hours. It is always best to ask the superintendent and don't be afraid to ask them to write it on one of their business cards. That way you can tell the janitor to find a new place to hide while he smokes.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just can not imagine any one hunting a school during school hours,.................. much less think you could do it without getting confronted by someone, really?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe it's different in other States, but here we go by the law - If the law doesn't prohibit it, I win every time. So, not sure how other States can just make up laws as you go? Sounds dictator-ish to me?

You just keep drinking that Minnesota Moonshine TRF! :thumbsup: Be sure to videotape yourself screaming "the law doesn't prohibit it!" as the Police haul you off to the pokey! :laughing7:

cruiserkev

Jan 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
The trick to hunting school grounds is to go early in the morning during Summer break. No one is around to bother you then. I hit about 40 schools last Summer using this method and was only approached once. A curious cop just wanted to see what I found and actually wished me good luck. Be honest and friendly, karma works for you. I leave schools alone when in session and let the play fields replenish themselves with lost jewelry, lunch money, toys etc... until the next Summer. HH!

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"It doesn't matter if you have a trash bag full of kleenex's and soda cans"

Actually it has helped me several times, that grumpy old grounds keeper can melt when he finally sees some one picking up trash instead of throwing it down.

I had a DOW officer approach me on a Sunday, when his park was closed, Started chewing me out. "YOU NEED A PERMIT HERE....BLAH....BLAH...." Showed him a bunch of trash, he deflated like a balloon, unlocked the Park office, and wrote me a permit.

coloradocav1

Jan 4, 2016
colorado
Detector(s) used
mxt
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Haha, I had a preacher come out as I was in the parkway in front of a church a long time ago. He told me 'if God wanted me to find things he would have come to give it to me' I didn't quite understand but then told me to leave, and not in a nice way. I'll never forget that one. In the same neighborhood a lady sicced her dog on me, I dont hunt this way anymore, people are too nosey. I prefer the relic fields and woods

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"It doesn't matter if you have a trash bag full of kleenex's and soda cans"

Actually it has helped me several times, that grumpy old grounds keeper can melt when he finally sees some one picking up trash instead of throwing it down.

I had a DOW officer approach me on a Sunday, when his park was closed, Started chewing me out. "YOU NEED A PERMIT HERE....BLAH....BLAH...." Showed him a bunch of trash, he deflated like a balloon, unlocked the Park office, and wrote me a permit.
My invitation to Tom in CA applies to you as well.... Plenty of parks, beaches and old homes to....the schools? No, not interested.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
heard you had some weather down there. tornado missed my house by about 3 miles

Yea, SW Cape got tore up last nite... Beach Pkwy, Skyline, Chiquita areas got hit hard.... My sons live over there, they ok though, lost power a bit, that's all.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha, I had a preacher come out as I was in the parkway in front of a church a long time ago. He told me 'if God wanted me to find things he would have come to give it to me' I didn't quite understand but then told me to leave, and not in a nice way. I'll never forget that one. In the same neighborhood a lady sicced her dog on me, I dont hunt this way anymore, people are too nosey. I prefer the relic fields and woods
I would have told him that "God asked me to help myself"! :laughing7:

patiodadio

Feb 28, 2014
KY
Detector(s) used
Whites 4000D
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It doesn't matter if you have a trash bag full of kleenex's and soda cans... Schools have the right to kick you off their property for any reason...
These are the days that there are zero tolerance policies, trespassing, smoking, weapons, all that stuff thanks to where society is today.
Schools in many areas have a fence around them for a reason, as do most of the schools in my area. If you got a kid in school, no doubt you've seen the sign at the entrance that reads: All visitors must report to the office, or language similar to that effect...there is a reason for that.
Schools are off-limits when I am hunting for new turf to beep, unless of course I have asked for permission....

I have been hunting a school, without permission. I have been told if school is in session, they would have to call the police if they saw me. So I wait until school is out and no one is around. So far I have been several times and no one has stopped me. I am pretty sure if I ask permission I would be told no. So its a kinda don't ask don't tell sorta deal. Works so far anyway.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Having been run off sites 3 times by Sheriff's Department, and numerous times by unknown civilians, I ALWAYS check legalities and permissions....

Re.: "checking legalities": I would think a person can look up laws/rules for themselves. If nothing there says "no md'ing", then can't that be their "permission" ? Because even having someone's blessing (finding someone in city hall to say "yes") can still be fruitless if someone else comes along and says you're "defacing" or whatever. Or worse yet, you get a "no" at city hall, only to find out others go and never had an issue. Or someone went in a week later and got a "yes" from a different desk clerk. All sounds a bit capricious and whimsical to me :(

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
..... If you are in a PUBLIC park or school you are subject to the whims of THE PUBLIC. That means if the old man walking his dog "thinks" you are harshing "his" park - you are, end of story. If the school janitor "thinks" you are tearing up his school - you are, end of story. So, how do you get around this? You do your thing when "old man walking his dog," and "school janitor" are not there to confront you. If you hunt parks and schools do it from Sunrise to 6:45am on a Sunday morning, not on a school day or at times when "The Public" is using "their" park or school ...

Terry, your post brought a giggle to me as well. Why do some of us md'rs think it's our duty to please every last person who "might gripe" on the planet ? SURE we ALL wish that every last archie, custodian, park worker, and dog walker would "love us to death" (who wouldn't?). But I got news for you: We're in an odd-ball hobby that has admitted connotation (that you might be about to harm the turf). You can either spend all your time getting sanctions ahead of time (be sure to mention "holes" and "dig" when you ask, lest you not be forthcoming), or for pete's sake, just pick lower traffic times and avoid such lookie-lous.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used

Well, I'm a biggest proponent of the "don't ask stupid grovelling questions" . But I do know what Terry is talking about on this point. It's true that public employees (cops, gardeners, principal, etc...) ARE vested with a certain degree of latitude to get his/her job done. So even though there may not be a specific "no detecting" rule, does not mean that they can't come along and interpret to say you're violating the harvest remove clauses. Or alter-deface clause, etc.... But asking permission doesn't necessarily solve that ! In fact, you could simply find yourself the latest victim of "no one cared TILL you asked". Thus only just precluding yourself.

So while you might not find a rule saying "no detecting", you *still* use some common sense and don't swat hornet's nests looking for confrontations.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... Anyone NOT fitting that category isn't doing "school things" on school grounds, and the school can absolutely restrict them from being on the property. .....

Everything you're saying is correct. So too can they dis-allow (boot) persons from jogging the track, flying a kite, shooting hoops, and other such things as commonly occur on school grounds after-hours (unless truly buttoned up like Ft. Knox ?).

But pay close attention to your own wording: While it's true they "can" restrict, that doesn't mean they "will" restrict, or are "restricted automatically". If someone wishes to "restrict" me, they are MORE THAN WELCOME to come alert me that they think it bothers earthworms, or whatever type logic they have. But no, I do not assume from the git-go that I am restricted "unless given princely sanctions and say-so". No more so than those persons who are jogging the track or shooting hoops no doubt didn't ask either.

Chris R

Feb 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt schools all the time in Texas. I just do it on Sunday morning. Never had a problem and I'll leave it at that.

Sent from my 710C using Tapatalk

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hunt schools all the time in Texas. I just do it on Sunday morning. Never had a problem and I'll leave it at that.

Sent from my 710C using Tapatalk

Exactly!!!!

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Some one posted that, "this was an oddball hobby." Maybe if we acted more like oddballs people would leave us alone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread