The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I woke this morning and turned on the Todays show and heard the news about the young Amish girls shot by some individual down in Hershey P.A. It brougth tears to my eyes :'(...What kind of person walks into a one Room school house and shoots these girls in cold blood. I am speechless !!! >:(

You have a group of people not well known across the United states, that live like the days gone past.....Never bother a soul , but yet gunned down for what ever reason is to hard to describe.... :(

So on this day , please take a moment to say a prayer for those who had to experience such an act, and for the little girls that are suffering in this tragedy !!!

I have talked with these people before and have purchased lumber from them , they are a society or hard working people and are always willing to help in anyway they can......!!

The Amish are a religious group who live in settlements in 22 states and Ontario, Canada. The oldest group of Old Order Amish, about 16-18,000 people live in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. The Amish stress humility, family and community, and separation from the world.

Although Lancaster Amish are Pennsylvania Dutch, all Pennsylvania Dutch are not Amish. The Pennsylvania Dutch are natives of Central Pennsylvania, particularly Lancaster and its surrounding counties. Unlike the Amish, they are not all one religion. Instead, their common bond is a mainly German background (Pennsylvania Dutch is actually Pennsylvania Deutsch, or German). They also have Welsh, English, Scottish, Swiss, and French ancestry.

The Amish have their roots in the Mennonite community. Both were part of the early Anabaptist movement in Europe, which took place at the time of the Reformation. The Anabaptists believed that only adults who had confessed their faith should be baptized, and that they should remain separate from the larger society. Here began the Amish tradition of farming and holding their worship services in homes rather than churches.

In 1536, a young Catholic priest from Holland named Menno Simons joined the Anabaptist movement. His writings and leadership united many of the Anabaptist groups, who were nicknamed "Mennonites." In 1693, a Swiss bishop named Jacob Amman broke from the Mennonite church. His followers were called the "Amish." Although the two groups have split several times, the Amish and Mennonite churches still share the same beliefs concerning baptism, non-resistance, and basic Bible doctrines. They differ in matters of dress, technology, language, form of worship, and interpretation of the Bible.

The Amish and Mennonites both settled in Pennsylvania as part of William Penn's "holy experiment" of religious tolerance. The first sizable group of Amish arrived in Lancaster County in the 1720's or 1730's.

Our prayers are with you!!!

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts
i am semi-farmiliar with the way they live,, not to hurt a soul live off the land,, none of the rush ,rush , that most of the world experiences on a daily basis....

this is truly tragic......

rick....

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Our hearts and prayers go out to these families of these children as well as their entire community.I just had to explain it to my girls when they heard the news.....not an easy thing to do or tell them the "whys" ,when I dont know "why" myself.

C

Carson Karma

If you ever watch Bowling For Columbine the documentary Michael Moore addresses the fact that in Canada they have a much higher gun per capita than the US yet their murder rate is almost nill.

Although I initially balked at his point being maybe our culture has something to do about it..I am beginning to wonder..

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gun Ownership has nothing to do with this.

You can't walk into an Amish home where guns don't exist.
Every single Amish Family in PA Owns guns.

Yet they are the Most Peace Loving People in thew world.
"BAR NONE"

Children Do not Touch Guns in these families, until they are teens.
at this point they are given BB Guns, But are Taught to respect them,
and Human Life.

These Amish Children are so Shielded from the world.
They most Definately never even Knew about Columbine,
or any other School attacks. and may not even have heard
of Shootings anywhere.

Once they are Teenagers, They are allowed to Leave their homes
and enter "The Devils Playground" and learn about the World,
do everything Normal Teens do, Dress, Party, Etc.
and then decide If they wish to come back.

IF they decide Not to come back, They are Shunned.
However They are Forgiven if at any time they decide they
want to come back.

My area Has Many Amish Families.
and I can tell you, This is not just effecting
the Immediate Families, but Every Amish Family in PA who
hears about it, as If it were their own Girls.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
We have a huge Amish Community here also and I have visited with them often. They are wonderful people and I know that the Amish are in mourning here as well as the other communities across the nation.
I cant imagine this happening anywhere. My heart also goes out to the shooters family and children.What a terrible thing ,that his own children have to live with now.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gypsyheart said:
What a terrible thing ,that his own children have to live with now.

Yes !

Many will Forget, These Children have also Been Assulted. Mentally.

Heavy Chevy

Jun 18, 2005
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and others
Hi gang,
I agree with everyone. The Amish people never bother anyone.
They are some of the best people you could ever meet.
Please pray for them and their families.

This was the work of a COWARD !!
A CHICKEN -SH-T Son of a Biscuit Eater !!
If he wanted to be a "Suicide by cop" why didnt he walk into a police station ?
Because he was a nothing !!
Even his family should disown him !

Someone had to have known this guy was about to crack !

They should take his corpse out and let the buzzards eat it.

I am stopping before i get real upset about this,

Take Care,
Mike in SC

bill gent

Sep 22, 2006
jersey city new jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
unfortunatly we will see a string of copy cats across our country me Id like to capture em alive and let then live with a civil libertarian lawyer that gave the criminals more rights then decent people
9 times out of 10 these people had huge run ins before with the law
my prayers as well to all the young victms which the toll will infortunatly rise. sad very very sad no wonder our country isnt respected when we stick our noses in other countries affairs yet have dirty backyards ourself

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Carson said:
Although I initially balked at his point being maybe our culture has something to do about it..I am beginning to wonder..

Blame starbucks!!
;D

This shooting is very sad. Seems it's not safe anywhere in the US these days. Let's go to South Africa! They have more gold there anyway :o

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i was shocked and angry to hear about this. the amish people dont bother anyone, and for some gutless coward to assault not only the amish but amish children is just unbelievable. the world has gone crazy.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been asked:

"Is there anything that we can do to help or aid those Amish families?"

ALL I KNOW IS :

Last I heard
on The Lancaster TV Channel, The Amish just asked for everyone to keep them in their Prayers.

They said they would ask them if there was More
people can do, but so far, Nothing has been said.

They are, as you know, a Very Proud Tight-nit Family. so it is hard to say if they will accept anything.

I'll let you know if things change.

roswellborn

Jan 9, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
They are very special people. With an unquenchable faith. I'm in awe of what I read in this article.

an excerpt: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061005/ap_on_re_us/amish_school_shooting_193

In just about any other community, a deadly school shooting would have brought demands from civic leaders for tighter gun laws and better security, and the victims' loved ones would have lashed out at the gunman's family or threatened to sue.

But that's not the Amish way.

In the aftermath of Monday's violence, the Amish have reached out to the family of the gunman, Charles Carl Roberts IV, 32, who committed suicide during the attack in a one-room schoolhouse.

Dwight Lefever, a Roberts family spokesman, said an Amish neighbor comforted the Roberts family hours after the shooting and extended forgiveness to them. Among Roberts' survivors are his wife and three children.

"I hope they stay around here and they'll have a lot of friends and a lot of support," said Daniel Esh, a 57-year-old Amish artist and woodworker whose three grandnephews were inside the school during the attack.

I don't think there are many of us who could do this.

Nan

Mike T

Oct 4, 2006
I found it interesting that a Amish spokesman said that they are praying for the soul of the man who did this. That of course they feel sorrow in their loss but they choose not to balance their loss with anger, and feel its counterproductive and heardens the heart. They sent a members to console the family of the KILLER as well.
I think in an age when violence seems to begat more violence whether in Lebanon or the Hood, these peaceful shy people go about their quiet lives refusing to get sucken into the cycles so many of us fall prey to. Mike T

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Intresting Stories on Lancaster Station today.

One of the Girls in the Hospital, in Critical Condition was
Unhooked from Life Support and Brought home to Die.
She started Improving at home, and is now at the Hospital
and Hopes are high for her.

the 2 oldest girls are talking.
the Oldest Girl (13) pleaded to the Gunman to Shoot her
and release the others. Both say all the girls were brave through
the ordeal and showed no Fear.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
jeff of pa said:
Intresting Stories on Lancaster Station today.

One of the Girls in the Hospital, in Critical Condition was
Unhooked from Life Support and Brought home to Die.
She started Improving at home, and is now at the Hospital
and Hopes are high for her.

the 2 oldest girls are talking.
the Oldest Girl (13) pleaded to the Gunman to Shoot her
and release the others. Both say all the girls were brave through
the ordeal and showed no Fear.

just goes to show that if it aint your time to check out........it just aint your time. im glad to hear she is recovering. i agree that the faith and forgiveness of the amish people is pretty amazing.i think we could all probably learn a thing or two from them.

BigMESA

Sep 21, 2006
Summerville, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236x2
This is what happens when today's society is Godless and lacks any morals. It is easy to see the value system of yesteryear has been replaced with a "instant-gratification do what I want" attitude.

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
:'( It's usually the Innocents that suffer! Those People did'nt deserve that, Heck, Nobody deserves that? My Prayers are with them!

Joe :'(

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
:'( :'( :'(

Attachments

• Amish Funeral.jpg
    Amish Funeral.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 221

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The final Amish funeral procession of the week made its way through Bart Township on Friday. As family and friends say goodbye to 12-year-old Anna Mae Stoltzfus, we learn new details about the girl's bravery inside the Amish schoolhouse.

On Monday, Charles Roberts opened fire on 10 girls inside the school, killing five of them.

It has been a terrifying and emotionally draining week in Lancaster County. Everyone in the community is hoping that this is the last funeral they will see from Monday’s shooting.

CBS 21 News has learned some new information about what happened in those moments before Roberts opened fire. Amish spokesperson Rita Rhodes says that Roberts asked the girls to pray for him, and the girls responded that they should be the ones prayed for. Some of the older girls asked Roberts to shoot them first. It is believed they were hoping to protect the younger girls.

There is some good news after this tragic week. According to the Lancaster County coroner one girl who was removed from life support earlier this week and taken home is now back at Penn State Hershey Medical Center. And she's showing minor improvements.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread