Please take a look at this tree (Indian pointer tree)?

Treasuredawg

Mar 19, 2006
Northern Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Exployer II, Xterra 30
I was on the way to my site (Need help identifying symbols on rock bluff) and saw my neighbor feeding his cows next to the road so I decided to stop and chat for a few minutes. As we were talking I happed to look over at the woods and BAM!! here is this odd tree. I think it is an Indian pointer tree. My neighbor said visitors often made a comment about this odd tree and he had no idea how it developed this way. He said there was an old trail along beside the tree that he discovered after he bought the property. I told him I would try to get more info and let him know. I don't think it has anything to do with the carvings on the rock which is about a half mile away but who knows. Would someone please help me with the identity?

The site and Indian pointer tree020.jpg

bytheriver

Jul 11, 2006
Treasure Dawg

I sent this to several very experienced Trail Tree Enthusiasts and they are in agreement of the identity; an Indian Thong Tree. The restraining marks are clearly visible on the bark of the tree. It may not be 150+ years, as most of them are, but this seems to meet the qualification of an Indian Thong Tree. One of the contacts was from the Mountain Steward Trail Tree Project.

They are in the process of taping "Mysteries of the Trees" hopefully it will develop into a PBS documentary!!!!

Keep your eyes open for these trees and keep posting your finds!

By The River

OP
OP
T

Treasuredawg

Mar 19, 2006
Northern Arkansas
Detector(s) used
By the River, I was so hoping you would respond. Thanks for the reply. I tell you when I saw this tree over there at the edge of the woods my heart liked to have jumped out of my body. I was in the middle of a sentence and I said Holy smoke look at that tree!!! The guy said yea a lot of people have made comments about it. He did not have a clue what it was. After I told him about the Indian trees he was pretty excited too. I don't think we will have to worry about it being cut down. This part of Arkansas was Indian Territory until about 1828 when they were moved on to Oklahoma. But you know not all Indians moved. I can't believe this tree is that old but maybe the reshaping stunted it's growth. Anyway I will never be the same....I will be looking everywhere for these trees. I know there must be more around this area.

Treasuredawg

bytheriver

Jul 11, 2006
Several of use will be going to Hobbs State Park Arkansas this weekend. As my friend from Kansas said "we are going if we have to dig our way out of a Kansas blizzard".

At the moment we are getting snow and they are predicting a white out! Not much accumulation.

I will post whatever we find and any other information we receive from our Spring "Trail Tree expedition. I understand they found a tree off an old trail they have not opened up, if the weather is OK we will hike to view this new find.

Keep looking!

By The River

OP
OP
T

Treasuredawg

Mar 19, 2006
Northern Arkansas
Detector(s) used
BytheRiver, I read your reply on my other Post, I also viewed the blog site. Very interesting. If you have anymore replys about the tree, please, reply to this post as I am going to try to keep the other post more directed at my rock carvings. I don't think the tree has anything to do with the carvings. Maybe we should try to get a special place on this forum strickly for the odd trees as more and more are posting in different areas on this forum. I am also going to send you a PM.

Treasuredawg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread