Please tell me i found a camp site!! please read

trevmma

Bronze Member
May 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
whites 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im super exited for them to plow, i just walked through one small lane of last years cut corn(everything else is beans). but this stuff was laying all over litterally everywhere, flakes nice celt with ancient tp damage and some brokes, 95 % sure this is pottery, if so what kind of artifacts am i getting into> also bone mixed in with pottery. could it be old as well . please give me some info. do i start looking for bone needles and such, im in ohio and did not know this stuff lasted here in fields. thjanks
IMAG0367.jpg

IMAG0369-1.jpg

IMAG0368.jpg

Upvote 0

DarkwaterDiver

Jul 31, 2011
Moncks Corner, SC.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, Tejon land and Fisher, 1280x water
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please show the Celt, and where there is pottery there should be points. Look for everything.

OP
OP
trevmma

trevmma

Bronze Member
May 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
whites 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here some more pics of it. the tip or end(now) is used and polished. is it possible to find bone tools in ohio fields. i rubbed my finger on the celt cause i was showing my father in law why i thought it was a celt/(rubbed the polish)
IMAG0370.jpg

IMAG0371.jpg

IMAG0372.jpg

imagejpeg_2_16.jpg

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
trevmma, the Pottery is Shell Tempered which means it is late Woodland and probably Ft Ancient related so you more than likely have stumbled upon a Ft Ancient village site. You say you are seeing Bones as well so that is a good sign of occupation. There are probably Middens being plowed through and it's bringing up the debris. Is there also Mussell Shells laying around?

If you are into a Ft Ancient village site then these pics I'm going to show you are the types of artifacts to be looking for. If it's true FA site then about 95% of the Points you will find will be Triangles and some of them may be the serrated type. As you can see from my pictures, yes there are Bone Tools found in Ohio.

Good luck and let us know how you do after it gets plowed. Look for spots that have lots of debris like Pottery, Bone, and Shell and concentrate on those areas since that is more than likely where Middens are being plowed through.

Attachments

• Awls06.jpg
    Awls06.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 478
  • Awls09.jpg
    Awls09.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 481
  • Awls13.jpg
    Awls13.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 467
  • Feurt Site Collection (8).jpg
    Feurt Site Collection (8).jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 468
  • Feurt Site Collection (14).jpg
    Feurt Site Collection (14).jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 450
  • Feurt Site Collection (22).jpg
    Feurt Site Collection (22).jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 462
  • Feurt Site Collection (61).jpg
    Feurt Site Collection (61).jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 451
  • Feurt Site Collection (48).jpg
    Feurt Site Collection (48).jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 482
  • Feurt Site Collection (50).jpg
    Feurt Site Collection (50).jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 484
  • Awls06.jpg
    Awls06.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 480
  • Awls09.jpg
    Awls09.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 463
  • Awls13.jpg
    Awls13.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 454
  • Feurt Site Collection (5).jpg
    Feurt Site Collection (5).jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 448
  • Feurt Site Collection (8).jpg
    Feurt Site Collection (8).jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 453
  • Feurt Site Collection (14).jpg
    Feurt Site Collection (14).jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 455
  • Feurt Site Collection (44).jpg
    Feurt Site Collection (44).jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 467
  • Feurt Site Collection (22).jpg
    Feurt Site Collection (22).jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 463
  • Feurt Site Collection (59).jpg
    Feurt Site Collection (59).jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 443
  • Feurt Site Collection (61).jpg
    Feurt Site Collection (61).jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 445
OP
OP
trevmma

trevmma

Bronze Member
May 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
whites 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yeah broken muslelshells are everywhere also a strange bluish rock that has a charcoal look when u break it open it has a texture of bone. I'm exited its the first site I have came across like this in 5 years, thanks.

moah4me

Aug 24, 2011
caledonia new york
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
The bluish rock that you see is burnt deer bone this will be a very productive sight good luck and happy hunting!

Moah

OP
OP
trevmma

trevmma

Bronze Member
May 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
whites 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol well i missed about 7 artifacts in a .2 acres that is full of potery, got a big bag full of potery shalls bone and burnt bone, im goint to put it in some type of indian. bowl and center it

OP
OP
trevmma

trevmma

Bronze Member
May 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
whites 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks i am super pumped i want to ask the lady to dig. i already have a nice size tripod sifter, but to worried she will tun away and think im disrespecting her land, what are some tricks i can do to get permission from her, she is a single 80 year old lady. what do they like, lol

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would just surface hunt the heck out of it until you get to know her better and then ask about digging. If you ask right off she may tell you that you can't hunt there anymore and that would suck since you obviously found a great site.

OP
OP
trevmma

trevmma

Bronze Member
May 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
whites 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats true, maybe i will just keep going there everyother day, lol. . total of points all broke 13 and celt in a tiny area, where middens big dumps or small holes. i cant beklieve i have never came across one, its just like a historic bottle dump, there is always somthing u missed if u look hard enough

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It depends. Some Middens can be very large and very deep and others not so much. At one spot I hunt they didn't dig holes for their Middens. They would dump the trash and then cover it up with dirt. I saw this first hand while digging a few of them and also was told this by an Archy that was digging there also. He was the one that told me go deeper even after I stopped finding things because there could be another layer beneath where we were digging and he was right. You would hit dirt with nothing in it for about 6 to 12 inches and then you would start finding things again below that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread