Plunder in the Permafrost

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
Plunder in the Permafrost !

Old Man Winter still has us in a stranglehold I’m afraid, but this winter has GOT TO END SOMETIME! I know I’m not the only metal detectorist out there that ‘s going bonkers with cabin fever waiting for the ground to thaw out enough to resume our hobby. Boy, I’ll tell you I’m about ready to grab any opportunity I get to get out and get in some swing time. Like yesterday, I had a chance to check out a park in a nearby town that has NEVER been detected before. It’s not a huge park, but it has a very nice tot lot and picnic area. After a visit to my doctor’s office early in the morning, I found myself with a couple of hours to kill. For once it wasn’t snowing, or raining or below freezing temperature. Most of the snow has melted off and all the kiddies were still in school.... Tally HO!
When I got to the park, I found I had it all to myself. True, most of the snow had melted off, but there were still a few piles here and there and the melt off had soaked the woodchips as well as several days of rain might. Soggy knees to be sure, but Oh how nice! I found all kinds of things, identifiable and not. There were coins of course, not enough to get rich on, but more than enough to cover my gas to and from this hunt. Sadly, there was a lot of trash too. Not just the usual trash like pull tabs and bottle caps, but broken bottles both beer and liquor, soft drink bottles as well and cans and can slaw. *sigh* It’s sad that some people just have no respect, and even sadder that they’re passing that legacy along to their offspring as well. I made three trips to the nearby trash cans to dump the garbage I was picking up. I guess it was good karma though because the coin count and other goodies made up for the trouble I took to clean up after whoever made the mess. One coin in particular, found under a tree at the edge of the tot lot gave me a bit of a start when I first unearthed it. I thought I’d found a Presidential dollar at first, but it wasn’t heavy enough, and when it was brushed off a bit I could see that it was not even legal tender. But the face was pretty familiar..

TedComp.jpg

After that find things took a dive.. deep enough to need a helmet. Like a deep sea diver helmet , a hard hat. I wasn’t sure what the heck it was when I dug it up. Some sort of sprinkler head maybe? I think I figured it out after I got it home though, and cleaned it up a bit more. It’s an aquarium accessory, an aerator. It probably sat atop a tiny little deep sea diver...guess he lost his head.

HelmComp.jpg

Somebody had to walk home from the park I suspect, because I found a car key amongst the woodchips. Not your ordinary car key either, some sort of “smart key” perhaps. It has a battery! I’m not sure what make of car or truck it’s for though.. anyone have any ideas?

KeyComp.jpg

Along with all the trash I picked up, I also picked up several coke product bottle caps. Brownie Points for me! My wife collects them and enters the codes for Coke Rewards Points and gets goodies for her trouble.

Brownie Pts.JPG

Before I knew it, the hunt was over. I enjoyed every moment of it to be sure, but alas, it had to end. When I got home and cleaned out my finds bag, and cleaned up my finds , it turned out to be quite a hodge-podge of “stuff”. The tip of a belt tongue, a cheap metal pendant, pull tabs, buttons, hardware , pieces of lighters, slag or melted blobs of metal from who knows what.

Stuff.JPG

Oh yeah, there were the coins too. More loot for the vacation fund!

Clad.JPG

Ah, it feels so good to scratch that itch now and then. Now I’m just chomping at the bit till the next opportunity presents itself to get out and detect some more! COME ON SPRING!!!!!

I hope you all get to get out and play a little sometime soon. And.. as always..

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

Upvote 0

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wtg sweet hunt :icon_thumleft: that little dive helmet is super cool looking

HH Tank

Yard Digger

Dec 20, 2009
Manila, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 with Bounty Hunter Headphones and TX-2002 Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tank69 said:
wtg sweet hunt :icon_thumleft: that little dive helmet is super cool looking

HH Tank
Yeah, I like that little helmet too!
Just a while longer Frodov, Spring is just around the corner.
Thanks for the pictures.
Yard Digger

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
always good to get out n dig after a long winter rest :icon_thumleft: nice finds... MR TUFF

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
I'm really digging that presidential coin! I would defiantly not throw that away. Maybe worth something one day! :thumbsup:

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice first post to read while enjoying my morning coffee :coffee:
Neat finds!!

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
GopherDaGold said:
Neat finds!!

Thank you, I try to be enteraining when I can. St. Charles MO. huh? Cool.. I helped open the very first Domino's Pizza store there many years ago. It was in a little strip mall not too far from the women's college there in town. I wonder if it's still there.. the pizza shop that is, I'm sure the college is still going strong. <grin> I know the gal that opened the franchise there eventually sold it to someone else several years later. Wow.. that's been a long time ago. Great! Now I feel older than dirt! <laughing> Anyway, for the comment about the post. ~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Detectingfreak said:
I'm really digging that presidential coin! I would defiantly not throw that away. Maybe worth something one day! :thumbsup:

Well wether it becomes valuable or not in the future, I won't throw it out. That's one of my little quirks that my wife gets annoyed with at times. I'm a Pack Rat! I have a hard time throwing anything away. <grin> I *AM* getting better about it though. I must be, she still tollerates my metal detecting finds and "collections" that I'm growing while pursuing this hobby. <smile>

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Spooky said:
Outstanding as per usual, Frodov!

:headbang:

I believe your 'Mystery Key' belongs to a late 90s ford product...

Yeah, if the battery is dead, it's definitely a Ford key :)

Joe

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude you always find interesting things,just wondering if the helmet might go to a GI Joe figurine or someting like that. :headbang: :hello2:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story. Glad you were successful and found time for a hunt. I like the little helmet! :thumbsup:
TnMtns

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Produce Guy said:
Dude you always find interesting things,just wondering if the helmet might go to a GI Joe figurine or someting like that. :headbang: :hello2:

I doubt that the helmet was from an action figure or toy. More likely it was from an aquarium accessory... an aerator is my guess.

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frodov said:
GopherDaGold said:
Neat finds!!

Thank you, I try to be enteraining when I can. St. Charles MO. huh? Cool.. I helped open the very first Domino's Pizza store there many years ago. It was in a little strip mall not too far from the women's college there in town. I wonder if it's still there.. the pizza shop that is, I'm sure the college is still going strong. <grin> I know the gal that opened the franchise there eventually sold it to someone else several years later. Wow.. that's been a long time ago. Great! Now I feel older than dirt! <laughing> Anyway, for the comment about the post. ~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

That 'womens' college is most likely Lindenwood University which has been co-ed for years now. You wouldn't recognize the place. Yeah, you really aged yourself on that one, :laughing7:

HH!!

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
GopherDaGold said:
Frodov said:
GopherDaGold said:
Neat finds!!

Frodov

That 'womens' college is most likely Lindenwood University which has been co-ed for years now. You wouldn't recognize the place. Yeah, you really aged yourself on that one, :laughing7:

HH!!

Yeah.. Time marches on, and we can but try our best to keep up. *whew* I'm winded! <grin>

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

wyattrr

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2008
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always enjoy reading about your adventures...Cabin Fever has claimed me as well, I can't wait for Spring!! :thumbsup: Congrats on getting out and scoring some finds...HH :notworthy:

Kanyontreasures

Jan 13, 2010
idaho
Detector(s) used
whites prizm 3, whites bullseye ii
think that diving helmet would fit you?? they are expensive to buy one new.

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Kanyontreasures said:

I don't know Kanyon... I know at times I can be a bit of a "pin head" but even on my worst day I think the helmet might be just a bit small for even me. Especially if I keep finding neat things while detecting and people keep giving me compliments about my posts when I relay my adventures online.. I get a swelled head. <laughing> Thanks.

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

Yard Digger

Dec 20, 2009
Manila, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 with Bounty Hunter Headphones and TX-2002 Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frodov said:
Kanyontreasures said:

I don't know Kanyon... I know at times I can be a bit of a "pin head" but even on my worst day I think the helmet might be just a bit small for even me. Especially if I keep finding neat things while detecting and people keep giving me compliments about my posts when I relay my adventures online.. I get a swelled head. <laughing> Thanks.
~HAPPY HUNTING~ Frodov
Everyone merits a swelled head now~n~then. Besides you have a great style of writing which gives us
great reading. :read2: Keep on posting on TNet. :hello2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread