PM gives the final piece to the puzzle: 53 class ring owner contacted!

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
PM gives the final piece to the puzzle: '53 class ring owner contacted!

It has been an incredible five days since I found a West View High School Class of 1953 ring at a local church. I've been given information by a number of folks, starting with the reunion coordinator for that class. She gave me a name to go with the initials, and even an address. The address she had is old; J H M moved to his current locale three years ago (but I'm getting ahead of myself). On a hunch, I contacted my pastor friend with the name and sure enough, the man had been a long time member years back. So, we have a name and a definite connection to where the ring was found, but we needed more. Today, the pastor gave me the address; it turns out he hunts on the daughter's property! But, he didn't have a phone number at the moment and I figured he'd get back to me with one. When I found out the daughter's name, I thought it sounded familiar; I checked out another old church directory and sure enough...! About twelve years ago, we went to the same church. Of course, neither of us is there any longer and she's out of state; the number in the old directory was of no help! Well, a little while ago I got a PM from Kimsdad who suggested a website: Zabasearch.com. Sure enough, within seconds I had the phone number for J H M! Seconds later, I was talking to him! We ended up talking for 21 minutes and more information came to light: he was once an elder at the church I now attend and his son still does attend my church! Please understand, the church I attend and the church where I found the ring are not the same, though they are the same denomination. The world is very small, as evidenced by my conversation tonight. J H M was very interested in the ring and our connection, and I'll be mailing it tomorrow. He promised to send me a picture of himself with the ring when he receives it, and he gave me permission to post the picture on TNet when it arrives. So, to summarize, in five days I've tracked down and spoken to the owner of a 1953 class ring!

Upvote 0

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Re: Kimsdad gives the final piece to the puzzle: '53 class ring owner contacted!

I can't wait to see the pic of the owner with the ring! I've never found a class ring, but I can imagine the good feeling you must have right now in returning it. Three crowns to you! :icon_king: :icon_king: :icon_king:

Great job!

(Thanks for the props, HD! Glad it worked!)

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: PM gives the final piece to the puzzle: '53 class ring owner contacted!

WTG, It seems finding the ring was surely the easy part, finding the owner was a totally different matter. Well done :icon_thumleft:

A

art of fact

Thats fantastic and one of the things that makes this hobby so great,I wonder how many rings have been returned on this site ,We should have everybody who has returned a ring post it some time so that we can se how many there are. Art Of Fact

lucky d

Oct 2, 2008
fla la land
Detector(s) used
minelab excalibur

very cool.....it's a great feelin to return a class ring...i returned one i found to a girl who had lost it 17 years ago, and she remembered the day....she was thrilled!...did you find out when the gentleman lost his ring ? did he remember loosing it?....great job, can't wait for the pic...hh

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

lucky d said:
very cool.....it's a great feelin to return a class ring...i returned one i found to a girl who had lost it 17 years ago, and she remembered the day....she was thrilled!...did you find out when the gentleman lost his ring ? did he remember loosing it?....great job, can't wait for the pic...hh
He didn't remember losing it, but he was very familiar with where he lost it. He attended the church from the early '70's into the mid-'80's.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WTG halfdime don't you just love it when you get to return a class ring to it owner. In 30 years I have return 6 and it is a great feeling everytime. Can not wait until I find my next one so I can return it. The quickest time I got to return one was 2 days and the longest it took me was about 2 month to find the owner and track her down......Matt

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm sure some of the members here already realize how difficult it is to return class rings from the 40's or 50's. In most cases, the rings cannot be returned to the original owners, and must be returned to the next of kin. The earliest class rings I have successfully returned have all been from the 60's.

When the photo comes in, and gets posted here, I hope that this thread will go Banner. We are in need of an honorable mention item on the banner, and this is a good candidate. In the meantime, can we see a close-up photo of the ring?

Best Wishes,

Buckles

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

BuckleBoy said:
I'm sure some of the members here already realize how difficult it is to return class rings from the 40's or 50's. In most cases, the rings cannot be returned to the original owners, and must be returned to the next of kin. The earliest class rings I have successfully returned have all been from the 60's.

When the photo comes in, and gets posted here, I hope that this thread will go Banner. We are in need of an honorable mention item on the banner, and this is a good candidate. In the meantime, can we see a close-up photo of the ring?

Best Wishes,

Buckles
Thanks for the kind words, Buckles; here are the pictures I took on recovery day (the wings are special, too; I didn't realize how many different varieties there are):

Attachments

• wvclassring 001 (Small).jpg
    wvclassring 001 (Small).jpg
    46 KB · Views: 377
  • wvclassring 002 (Small).jpg
    wvclassring 002 (Small).jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 378
  • wvclassring 003 (Small).jpg
    wvclassring 003 (Small).jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 378
  • wvclassring 004 (Small).jpg
    wvclassring 004 (Small).jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 372
  • wvclassring 001 (Small).jpg
    wvclassring 001 (Small).jpg
    46 KB · Views: 374
  • wvclassring 002 (Small).jpg
    wvclassring 002 (Small).jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 373
  • wvclassring 003 (Small).jpg
    wvclassring 003 (Small).jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 372
  • wvclassring 004 (Small).jpg
    wvclassring 004 (Small).jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 367

Harry_Morant

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2006
Canberra
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well done - a great result

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread