Pocket silver and and UPDATE on the IH I found!

Joe G

Dec 3, 2004
Long Island
Detector(s) used
Exp II, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No too long ago I was getting my morning coffee at 7-11 and the guy behind the counter put the change on top of the bills (I hate that :) ) Turns out I'm glad he did... As the change clanged together, I could swear I heard that sweet sound of silver. Sure enough, there was a '47 Rosie. Man, that doesn't happen too often...

Yesterday, I went to a large park with huge open fields (Bmanley99 and I have found a few oldies there). There's not much in the way of trash / targets, so I thought it would be a good place to try out my new 10X14 excelerator coil. Before I got to the field, I worked some of the woods nearby and within 5 minutes I had a good iffy target. My 2nd ever IH (oddly enough, both are 1891's although this one is in much better shape). Hunted for a bit more and got another target... that's when I realized I left my predator relic digger at my last target. No problem right? Well, I spent the next hour gridding out the area until I finally found it :) I plan on painting it bright orange the next chance I get :) I then hit the field and although I didn't find much, I got to experiment and dig lot's of targets. I hit one target that sounded fairly solid although it was very deep. I found a small button that's about 1/2" across but it was down way over 10". I also found a very odd looking large bullet (live round). This one was also way down there. I'll post a pic of that later. Anyway, as far as the coil is concerned, it was incredibly stable at the park (not much around there) and pinpointing was pretty easy. Worked well even in some iron infested areas. Can't wait to try it at the beach this summer. The only problem is this one's pretty heavy; not like the Sunray. I'm going back this afternoon and do a little more digging

HH!

3-21-08finds.jpg

UPDATE:

Bmanley and I were out together this weekend in an area where there was an old schoolhouse at one time. He found two coppers in the woods and one really cleaned up well using his hot peroxide method. I took the IH I found and went through the procedure twice. I have to say, the results were pretty darn good! Thanks Brendan!!! Look forward to diggin' some LI coppers with you (before the ticks come :) )
IHobvclean-1.jpg

IHrevclean-1.jpg

Upvote 0

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Pocket silver and an IH

Very cool! That has not happened to me in about 15 years !

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice finds, congrats! HH, Mike

lockman209

Jun 4, 2005
Chippewa Falls
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle SL II, Whites PRL-1, (3) Whites DFX's, Whites Coinmaster 4G, Whites Silver Eagle, 2010 Whites Coinmaster, Fisher 1212-X, Fisher 1225-X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

very nice

OP
OP
Joe G

Joe G

Dec 3, 2004
Long Island
Detector(s) used
Exp II, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update at top. Check it out....

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Bullseye II pinpointer, Gray Ghost Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe G said:
UPDATE:

Bmanley and I were out together this weekend in an area where there was an old schoolhouse at one time. He found two coppers in the woods and one really cleaned up well using his hot peroxide method. I took the IH I found and went through the procedure twice. I have to say, the results were pretty darn good! Thanks Brendan!!! Look forward to diggin' some LI coppers with you (before the ticks come :) )

Joe, WOW!!!

I've had great success, as you know, with the hot peroxide, but that is definitely one of the nicest Indian cleanups I have ever seen. CONGRATS! Now you'll never go back. :wink: Cleaning and restoration can become an addiction all their own!

Once again, WTG. Silvers certainly retain their charm in the ground, but I think it's really nice to return all those great old copper and brass finds to their former glory. You now have a gorgeous coin to feature in your collection!

Whaddya say we find some more? 8)

Cheers and HH,
B

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bookfisher said:
I'll be damned if I let some ticks stop me from pursuing my hobby!

I hear you on the ticks Bill, but you're very lucky that they're not as bad up by you. I have the same attitude as you in terms of toughing it out and have done everything to try and fight through them -- I've tried to protect every inch of my body, and have soaked myself in DEET, and that doesn't even work. There are just some specific places on the South Shore that are totally infested. I have one place I like to hunt that is so bad in the summer, the last time I tried it in warm weather I walked out COVERED in them. And it was mostly those tiny deer ticks, too, which are the ones that carry Lyme Disease. I took off my boots and found 10s and 20s of them wedged between my boots and socks. They were in my car, and even got into my house. Not good! And just a few weeks ago, while it was still cold, I still came home with one stuck to me on my back....

As much as my life revolves around MDing, I'm not going to further risk potential sickness and death all because of a pin-sized parasite. God, how I hate those things!!!

Guess you'll have to show me and Joe around up north! :wink:

Cheers,
B

OP
OP
Joe G

Joe G

Dec 3, 2004
Long Island
Detector(s) used
Exp II, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bookfisher said:
I've dug a ton of Indian Heads, but never one in as great of condition as yours! WTG! Also, I'll be damned if I let some ticks stop me from pursuing my hobby!

After that post I was thinking about it and realized I've only found 3... I've actually found more LC's :) But you're right, I have absolutely no idea why, but this one was pretty nice right out of the ground. After the cleanup, I was shocked at how good it actually was. So much so, I said, "Whoa, look at that!" and promptly dropped it on the kitchen floor. (if you look at around 8 o'clock on the obverse you'll see a nick) 8)

I hear you on the ticks... I'm actually thinking of getting one of those clean suits :D They're light, breathable and I don't think anyone would come near me while I'm detecting :)

Hey, we've all got to get together. I'm not looking for spots, I'd just like to finally meet you (as would Brendan) :)
So many woods and so little time

HH,

Joe

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York
bmanley99 said:
bookfisher said:

I hear you on the ticks Bill, but you're very lucky that they're not as bad up by you. I have the same attitude as you in terms of toughing it out and have done everything to try and fight through them -- I've tried to protect every inch of my body, and have soaked myself in DEET, and that doesn't even work. There are just some specific places on the South Shore that are totally infested. I have one place I like to hunt that is so bad in the summer, the last time I tried it in warm weather I walked out COVERED in them. And it was mostly those tiny deer ticks, too, which are the ones that carry Lyme Disease. I took off my boots and found 10s and 20s of them wedged between my boots and socks. They were in my car, and even got into my house. Not good! And just a few weeks ago, while it was still cold, I still came home with one stuck to me on my back....

As much as my life revolves around MDing, I'm not going to further risk potential sickness and death all because of a pin-sized parasite. God, how I hate those things!!!

Cheers,
B

Oh man, with tick infestation like that, yes I would let those nasty critters deter me from pursuing my hobby in those areas. I stand corrected and apologize for questioning your MDing fortitude!

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bookfisher said:
bmanley99 said:
bookfisher said:

Cheers,
B

Oh man, with tick infestation like that, yes I would let those nasty critters deter me from pursuing my hobby in those areas. I stand corrected and apologize for questioning your MDing fortitude!

Haha...Thanks, Bill. I wasn't offended, just venting about the problem more than anything. Like I said, I HATE those things! They're relentless!

If there's anything out there to deter me from MDing, you KNOW it's gotta be bad! That's why I detected almost constantly this winter...

But seriously, we should all find a relatively buggy place this season in order to finally get together and hunt. Keep it in mind.

Talk to you soon!

Cheers,
B

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
halfdime said:
That 91 is a beauty! I love getting the occasional keeper in pocket change, too.

It wasn't a pocket change find LOL. That is an OUTSTANDING cleaning on that IH! Nice work.

-Buckleboy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread