Pocket Watch at 8 inches UPDATE...New Pictures Added 11/08/06!!!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this at 8 inches in a hard packed field. It either fell out of a farmer's pocket or it was buried there intentionally. It is completely intact but I haven't tried to open it yet. Anyone have any ideas as to how to best open this? Also, anyone know if it is old and if so...how old? I don't think that it is silver but I can't be sure.

Attachments

• watch.JPG
    watch.JPG
    17.4 KB · Views: 1,342
  • watch1.JPG
    watch1.JPG
    18.8 KB · Views: 1,342
Upvote 0

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Re: Pocket Watch at 8 inches

Very nice find, WTG!!!
I would just about bet on it having sometype of hallmark inside with the words " FINE SILVER " below it... Also a serial no. When I first seen it I thought it was a match to a piece of one I found awhile back, but the design is a little different. They definitely look to be of the same maker... Here a pic of the one I found...
If, or when you get it open I would love to see it. I keep meaning to go back to where I found this one to try and find the rest of it...
Good luck, & Happy hunting~

Attachments

• Watch.jpg
    Watch.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 1,024
  • SerialNo.jpg
    SerialNo.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 971
OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks all! I will most certainly be using the utmost care in opening this piece! I will take it to a jeweller and see if he/she has any ideas on properly opening it without causing damage! Stay tuned!

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark

That is a Super find. It is in great shape for its age. Looks like you just took it out of the case.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

The Seeker said:
That is one nice watch.........have you tried opening it? I thought about not opening the one I found last year , but you know something . I just had to see the inside! and what was in it was Gold......... Here is the one I found!

Nice job! Congrats!

Hey Seeker! That is one sweet watch you found there too! :o

I've only found 2 that I recall. One was a ca. 1910 Rolex and the other turned to dust when I dug it.

Best,

Badger

lucky1777

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2005
Illinois

Take it to a jeweler. Depending on the movement, he will be able to get a serial # and date the watch for you. If you decide to open it yourself, post pics of the movement and serial #. That is a very nice looking watch, congratulations.

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Let me paint the picture for you. I received permission to hunt an area which consisted of miles and miles of hay fields, almost as far as the eye can see. I drove along the main road for a couple miles until I found an old tractor lane. I turned on to the tractor lane and drove into the fields about half a mile. For no particular reason I stopped where I did and decided to check the fields on my right. The hay had just been mowed within the last month so the swishing was still pretty easy. I picked a line and started my search. The first signal I received was approximately 5 steps in and it read as iron. I dug the signal to see what kind of finds I may expect and ended up with a bent nail. I decided not to dig anymore iron. I continued on my line and about five steps later got a deep $1 +94 signal. Usually after a couple swishes over this type of reading it turns to a Hot Rock signal. I hit the spot a couple more times and did not get the Hot Rock signal so I started to dig. I removed the plus and knew it was going to be hard digging. As mentioned the ground was very dry and consisted of hard packed clay. My trowel was groaning from the effort. I dug down about four inches and swished the spot and continued to get the same reading. I stuck my probe into the hole but got nothing. I dug two more inches and tried probing again with negative results. At this point I almost convinced myself that I was digging a phantom signal caused by some nearby iron but I continued to dig anyway. It took about 15 minutes of loosening the clay and digging it out before I saw a glint silver in the hole. I only saw a fraction of an inch but could see the filigree and knew I had something special. I did the rest of the digging with my fingernails so as not to damage the surface. When I first saw it I thought it was a coin but after loosening the clay knew it was a piece of a watch. I had no idea that it was still intact. It was laying flat in the hole solidly encased in the clay. This area has been hunted before and a lot of old coins, some over 200 years old, have been found here. Needless to say I will be returning there. I did continue the search for a couple hours and found an ox shoe and what looks like a half a musket ball (see “What Is It” forum…A Bullet Maybe???).

I was just thinking of the odds of picking that exact spot in the miles of fields and making this find within 5 minutes of getting out of the car.

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Pocket Watch at 8 inches UPDATE...OPENED THE BACK!!!

Curiosity got the best of me so I decided to open the back. After a liberal spray of WD-40 I was able to slip a thumbnail in and start an opening. After a little play I was able to open it completely. The only damage was to the hinge which had been fused anyway. I am still able to close the watch and it holds very tightly so the esthetics are still there. Now onto what I found...

You were all right! The watch is silver! The inside of the cover is stamped Fine Silver and a serial number. The movement is indeed key wound. Water had gotten in so the likelyhood of this watch ever keeping time is nil. The movement is stamed Ferrett & Co. Below that it is embossed with LOCLE and above Ferrett & Co. is the serial number in script.

I was able to polish the movement and the case and it is even more beautiful. I will post pictures tomorrow night at this time. Stay Tuned.

Does anyone know anything about Ferrett & Co.? The stamp is in fancy script so it may actually be Terrett & Co.

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

An even closer look and a check of the internet convinced me it is actually "Perret & Co."

R

rvbvetter

WOW!!! Fantastic find!!! Can't wait to see it. Congrats!! WTG!!! HH

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice find Red! The case looks almost identical!

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Pocket Watch at 8 inches UPDATE...New Pictures Added!

Here is the pocket watch after a good cleaning. Also a couple pics inside the back cover. I have opted not to open the face of the wacth as I do not want to cause any irrepariable damage. My only reason for opening it was to know who the maker is and to ascertain if it is in fact silver. These questions have been answered. Thanks for looking all...now I have to get back to that field to try and find an intact grandfather clock! ;D

Attachments

• good 001.jpg
    good 001.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 588
  • good 004.jpg
    good 004.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 593
OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...and the inside...

Attachments

• good 007.jpg
    good 007.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 582
  • good 009.jpg
    good 009.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 580

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
The maker of the movement, the New York Standard Watch Co., was actually based in Jersey City, New Jersey and was in business from 1885 to 1929.

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is one great watch..... I think now that you have cleaned up the outside good, it should not be that great a mission to open up the front.... at least cannot be worse than openeing the back ??? would love to be able to see the face of the watch...

God bless
Peter

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm debating on opening the face. It is fused pretty good but I think I can get it without causing any damage, except to the hinge. I had to break the hinge to open the back but it will still close tightly.

Harry_Morant

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2006
Canberra
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Regardless of whats inside that case has cleaned up very nice and is absolutely superb - congrats on a great find

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread