Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
yup its bad this year. evil........its pure evil. ;D

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YES this is a VERY bad year for poison ivy, sumac, oak. And also for TICKS. Last winter was very mild and didnt get cold enough. The Poison Ivy (which I am covered in right now on my legs and arms) and the TICKS are worse this year than I have seen in about 10 years.

Rowdy

Jun 11, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6
Yup, I've been fighting with small patches on both forearms for about a week now. :( I have one on each arm about the size of a dime, seems like everytime I scrub it good, it just relocates to another spot! >:(

bushlight

Aug 24, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Ace 250 hanging on the wall,Whites mxt,garrett at pro that the girlfriend uses now
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When i get i scratch it good then i hit it with acetate.It will burn but dries it up.

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yep, I had it four times this summer. I just finally decided to wait until it cools off before I go back to relic hunting.

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
Yes that stuff is entirely evil... but there is something you can do about it.

I have the allergy bad... it seems like if i walk NEAR the stuff, I catch it. There is a product you can get at your local pharmacy that will actually remove the oil from your skin and prevent you from getting the rash. It will also dry up the existing rash on your skin in 2-3 days, as opposed to the week or so it takes with calamyne lotion (taht crappy pink stuff). They also make a product called "armor" or barrier that forms a protective layer on your skin and prevents you from getting the rash.

I think it is in the first aid section of the pharmacy. The company is called TECNU, and they make a "cleanser" for removing the oil, and the armor for prevention. The stuff is great and I SWEAR by it. Below is a pic of the stuff

steve

Attachments

• tecnu1.gif
    tecnu1.gif
    36.8 KB · Views: 150
  • tecnu1.gif
    tecnu1.gif
    36.8 KB · Views: 151

artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the tip, Spez-I'm going to get some tonight and give it a try. This is the worst year in memory for poison ivy, ticks and mosquitoes. I don't think there's a square inch of me that doesn't itch.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank Steve! I gotta get some of that! It is a VERY bad year for poison ivy! >:( I've had it several times this year. Been trying to stay out of the woods, but hubby and I went down to the creek to check the fences. I had shorts on and wasn't planning on getting out of the Kubota. ::) Well...a fence to fix and I helped! ;D And yeah...got it on my leg. :-[ Ticks are bad here this year too. >:( Tiny ones! Very hard to see 'em.

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
just follow the directions on that stuff. You rub it on DRY SKIN. Don't wash first. Rub it into your skin for about 2 mins and then rinse with warm water (shower works best). You have a 4 - 8 hour window of time after coming in contact with the Poison Ivy that the stuff works.

Oh,... it also works on Oak and Sumac.

A couple little facts:

The rash is caused from the oil in the plant, called urishiol.
1 in 4 people are allergic to the oil (urishiol)
of the 3 people who are not allergic, there is a 95% chance that the allergy will develop. soooo... even if you're not allergic now... chances are you may be later

steve

Mr. Mojo

Jan 9, 2007
Hummelstown, PA
Detector(s) used
Exp II
Re: Ladies please look elswhere......

I live in the stuff. I only get it when I am cutting line through it, actually cutting and pulling away. The remedy I have used is chewwing tobacco. Spit the juice on your arms and rub in. the acid destroys the oils. I can remember approximately 12 years ago I had a bad case of poison ivy. Only sporadically since using the tobacco method. I only chew when in the woods. Trust me

Chuck
Survey Party Chief

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
Can't say, never had a problem with and wouldn't know it if I saw it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread