Poison what?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
some folks that are "touchy" types often react badly to the virigina creeper ---its a fact some folks are just more "touchy" than others and get sick easier than others around poisionous plants outdoors and so they often don't do outdoors stuff much because of this-- the berries are indeed poisinous and touching the surface of them can cause some folks problems --and while its not as "mean a critter" as poision ivy,oak or sumac--- a smart move would be to wear long sleeves and gloves if pruning them or pulling them down off the side of the house---(I do!!) and to not let their "sap" get on you or in your eyes it can tend to sting a bit---its rather acidic---also if you put the on a burn pile stay a bit off as to not breath the smoke from them ---Ivan

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
Just a word of caution. Never, ever burn poison ivy or poison oak. If you can't tell poison ivy, poison oak, and Virginia creeper, don't burn any of it. Breathing the smoke from burning poison oak or ivy may likely kill you. Not a good thing.

Daryl

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Interesting post.
Not meaning to jump your post, but I had just been thinking of studding up on a few weeds to look out for to put on my Website. If I'm not misstaken, I believe the pic below shows some poison ivy?, or poison oak?.( note the (3) leaves) I've always heard that it's after the small red spots are on it, that you really have to watch out for it...
Poison_Ivy.jpg

Good luck, & Happy hunting~

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Just FYI, Box Elder looks like poison ivy when it first starts to grow. If you see a whole bunch of plants on the forest floor with three leaves. Look up and see if there is a Box Elder tree. Just hate for you to not hunt a good area that was covered in little Box Elder plants.

Daryl

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like everyone likes poison ivy and oak...just another note...the poison oak has the 3 leaves...the center stem grows to the middle leaf and the stems has a reddish tint to them...I can look at it and get a good dose..lol Darn..I'm starting to itch right now..HH and not for poison oak or ivy..lol

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HIO: Just copying a bit of info. for you .

It is impossible to get rid of. I have even sprayed it with Round Up and everything around it died, but it flourished.

Monsanto recommends spraying a 1-2% solution of round up pro with a 5-10% solution recommended for spot sprays. See section 9.3 of
[[email protected]]
Multiple applications may be needed.

One source claims that round up or crossbow will kill 75%-85% of the Virginia Creeper it contacts, and that a 1:1 mixture of 2-4-D & and Clarity/Banvel would kill 85-95%
[[email protected]]

I researched and found some info on this plant's defense mechanism. The offending substance is Oxalate Crystals also known botanically as 'raphids'. As a nurse, I know that oxalate crystals are the same substance that causes the formation of kidney stones. These microscopic particles are like needles pressed together. No wonder the rash is so horribly painful...and now I am thinking that the normal treatment for poison ivy/oak/sumac with their urishol oils will not work for a dermititis caused by the Virginia Creeper raphids.

[email protected]] that suggested that using acetic acid (vingegar) would effectively dispose of climbing vines. I tried it on Virginia Creeper, and the leaves browned in a couple hours. VInegar was more effective than Roundup on the vines in my flower bed

This will do for a start.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Around here, we call that 5-leaf sucker Wild Jasmine. It grows everywhere and is more of an aggravation. I keep having to remind my Mother about the 3-leaf one being the bad guy.

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Don Jose de La Mancha is correct. One reaction is biochemical and the other is physical irritation. Remedies will probably be different unless it is a histamine blocker that should work since both situations will cause the release of histamines.

Daryl

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread