POLL: How Many Actually Bury Targets To Check Depth?

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
I tried that bury the coin thing when I first got my minelab and there's still a 50s' wheatie somewhere in my garden at about 6". I think the grass and sod factor change the inch estimate on each dig. Beaches are nice. Good poll though Badger, I like the last choice.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes.

Dig a hole.

Place item in, very small, styrofoam cup; measure
depth; cover with dirt. You can use same
hole at different depths. Item is always in
cup.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Also, use large plastic bucket or flower planter with all metal removed, place target at desired measured depth and fill with dirt.

This is the above ground method and is good because at least you'll get your item back! Well, you will providing you have a dirt screen. ;D

Badger

detectordave

Apr 6, 2005
Ann Arbor Meechigan
Detector(s) used
DFX WITH DX-1 PROBE AND XLT WITH XL-1 PROBE
I tried a test garden when I first got my DFX. Many of the things I burried, I could not find at depths where I have found similiar items in the "wild". Not sure why but I think items tend to "halo" or expand their size or something in the ground over time. I could not duplicate this in my garden. Maybe its the "packing" of the dirt too. Soccer fields and such are usually very solid ground. Now, I figure any time in the garden is time I could be finding more loot! Moving my experiments to the parks! lol. Hh dave.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I havn't done it for Depth, Because Freshly Buried
in no way Equils 100 Years Buried.

However I have done it For I.D.
even though I'm not 100% sure
Freshly Buried Equils 100 Years on that Either.

Especially with The Sovereign, which is supposed to
take Ground Conditions around the object into Consideration.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
I made a box out of wood and used very small nails and Gorilla glue. I varied the depth of the box and added dirt from the yard. Planted some grass seed and drilled holes in the bottom. of the box to let the water leak out when I water the grass. This way I KNOW the coins are in the box, but they are still buried and it seems to work. I am waiting through the winter to see if there is any change in the spring but so far it seems to have worked.

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
At the beach I do it all the time just to check my machine or test diffrent ones.That's how I learned that the fisher 1212 did not go as deep as a minelab. :P
RD

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nah I agree with Jeff. Used to bury stuff to test VLF machines on a limited basis but don't bother with EX II. The longer it's buried - the better it seems to like it. Undisturbed soil will yield better results overall than fresh dug soil - all things being equal. The deeper you go in depth - the more likely you are to see the greatest difference between what you pickup signal wise in a seeded garden vrs what you'll pickup in a undisturbed soil containing a good target. IMO

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
I usually just guess but when I finally got old enough (and had a good enough job) I bought some gold coins... those I did bury to see how they would read on the old MXT.... I think I wrote the numbers downs somewhere.... ummm....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread