artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just picked up a second ACE 250 and a Vibraprobe 560 from a gentleman who is going through a divorce. Apparently, the detector belonged to his ex, and judging by the deal I got, he wanted nothing to do with her or it. I had been using a cheap pinpointer prior to this called a Wizard vibprobe. It seemed to work really well, as long as you kept dirt from getting into the switch. Every so often, I would need to take it apart and clean it and then it would work fine.

My problem is that the Vibraprobe just doesn't seem to work all that well for me. I find it awkward and cumbersome to use and I also find that you have to be practically touching the object in order for it to pick up on it. My last complaint is that the probe is just too thick and it doesn't get into the dirt real well. Has anyone else experienced similar issues? I'm thinking of selling this unit and getting a better pinpointer. Does anyone have any suggestions for something lightweight with no switches that is thin enough to poke into the soil?

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one, but I use it at the beach and there it works fine, waterproof, and quick recovery. Depth isn't a factor since I am dumping the sand on the beach, spread it with my foot then search it.

Good luck and good hunting.

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
White's DFX: Minelab Excalibur 1000
I have a White's Bullseye and just recently got a Vibraprobe 560. I like the Bullseye because it pinpoints not just on the tip, but also along the shaft. Plus, it seems to have good depth...I have actually gotten a signal at 2-3". Problem was that it wasn't waterproof. So, I just recently bought a Vibraprobe 560 because of it being waterproof. However, on dry ground, I found I had to be right on the target with the Vibraprobe ....no more than an 1/2" to an inch away from it.........plus, only the tip detects the item.....not the whole shaft like the Bullseye.

I haven't really done anything with it in the water yet...but will be in 2 days. All in all, I'm hoping it will do better in the water, or on the beach. Otherwise, it may have been a waste of money for me.

The one other thing that I did like about the Vibraprobe was that you don't have to tune it like you do with the Bullseye...that does help when you are trying to do a quick search. Like I said, I'll have more experience with it in 2 days...at Rehoboth Beach, DE.

I like using the pinpointer, mainly because I still am not all that proficient at getting a perfect pinpoint with my detector.....but that's my fault..not the detector's.

Good luck with your Vibraprobe, AM!
--Mel

borninok

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
I love my vibrabrobe 560. I like that it only detects on the tip and not the shaft. It is more of a pinpointer than a probe. If you want to probe for a coin without removing any dirt you should use a brass probe designed for that purpose. I use the Vibraprobe to locate what eludes me initially. If you get the target pinpointed with you detector, when you dig the hold you will already be very close to the target. The Vibraprobe helps you find the target in the side of the hole or the dirt removed from the hole. I personally don't want to detect with a probe, that's why I bought the detector.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread