Population Model references needed

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
I'm searching in vain for reference material in regard to the Leap Frog and String of Pearls population models. I can only find short out takes of each. Anyone know of any publications or websites that have either expanded out takes or even better, the entire theories of one or both? Matter of fact, any population model theory new or old would be just fine.

Upvote 0

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
You might need to get an archaeology text book, and prepare yourself for some rather dry reading. I remember a paper about Martin's Wave Theory, the String of Pearls, and Leap Frog models on Clovis migration. I think they like the Leap Frog model best.

The wave theory is a mass exodus of people rushing across the landscape (usually to escape drought, flooding, volcanos, Atilla the Hun, etc.) The String of Pearls was family members breaking off when a group got too big and moving just far enough from home to start a new family (in similar area with similar resources.) Leap Frog is moving so far away from the family group that you don't see them regularly (a completely new area with potentially new resources.) There are different risks and benefits to each. After high school I did the leap frog method and made sure my parents could not drop by college for surprise weekend visits.

I think most of these were borrowed from wildlife biology. Depending on the circumstances, wolves will often break off and start new packs using one of these three methods.

1320 said:
I'm searching in vain for reference material in regard to the Leap Frog and String of Pearls population models. I can only find short out takes of each. Anyone know of any publications or websites that have either expanded out takes or even better, the entire theories of one or both? Matter of fact, any population model theory new or old would be just fine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions