Portuguese coin in Oregon?

Bleuhawaii

May 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was actually found 30 years ago, but this week I finally figured out what it is. (I think).

This was dug up near Ashland, OR. I never could figure out the origin and then I finally saw a photo of some Portuguese coins from the 1500s that seemed to match. Ashland is near the California border but not on the coast. Not sure how the coin got there. Thought I'd share and see what you guys think.

Sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place.

Upvote 1

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Bleuhawaii, kevin is right: probably just a "pocket trinket" brought over, 200 or 300 yrs. later, by some souvineer hunter who'd been to Portugal. Mankind's nature has always been the same, whenever visiting foreign lands. I've hunted a lot of military bases, where military guys had gone overseas, then returned home to various military bases back here in the USA. And you invariably find foreign coins that they brought back with them as souvineers. And old coins too have always been traded as novelties as well. For example: In the 1910s and '20s when pyramaids and egyptology was "all the rage" (as a fad, d/t tombs being opened and and explored) all of the sudden there was a lot of ancient coins that tourists could buy from road-side tourist stands in that region.

So I would not suspect the coin got there in the 1500s, just because that's the date range of the coin.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector_searching.gif
Great 30 year find Bleuhawaii!
killingme.gif

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry the letters ++ are all wrong for this to be real.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread