Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use det for bugs (spray good around my pant legs and boots) and always wear longsleeves, hat, and gloves for the ivy. But last year I got poisen ivy a few times, and already got it 2 times this year, I always seem to get it on my wrists were my gloves and long sleeve pull apart or also on my face where I'm not covered, I am thinking about wearing a bandana over my face this year but somepeople might think I was up to no good, but hey im out in the woods so.. :laughing7:.

What you can do is when you get home wash several times with some dish soap (the grease fighting kind).

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a product called Ten-co (I think?),it's a cream you put on the area that has the PI on it and then you wash it off with water.I'm allergic to any DEET product so I either use skin so soft from Avon or make my own from B-1 tablets,crush tabs.in a bowl and add a little water to make a paste,spread paste over exposed body parts and on pant legs down by your ankles,this will keep almost everything/everybody awayfrom you 'cause of the smell. :laughing7:

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
for ticks and skeeters I use deep woods off, for poison Ivy, I avoid it, however I've heard that if you rub in hand lotion
it will help to prevent the ivy oil from soaking in

Chico Rico

Dec 28, 2007
Virginia
There is a product that is a poison ivy wash. It is sold under the brand name Technu. It says you have 15 minutes from the time of exposure to use the rinse and it will be effective. I've heard that the chaps who have to cut thick brush smear it all over themselves before the days work then wash it off at when the jobs done.
If you already have the poison ivy, the doctor can give you a steroid shot and it dries up the rashes in 24 hours or so. You kind of have to talk them into it though. They are a bit hesitant about giving it out.

I've heard garlic pills repel mosquito's but I really haven't tried it. Good ole DEET spray works well.

Attachments

• tecnu.jpg
    tecnu.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 282

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use a product called "Badger Bug Balm" for mosquitoes. I ignore the ticks and posion ivy; though I avoid the plant when spotted and do a visual for ticks.

I was out cutting brush and trees all day today to open a new feed-lot for planting forage crops. If I let the ticks and plants worry me I wouldn't get much done.

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon
Walgreen's has a good BAR soap that will take care of exposure to poison ivy if used soon after exposure.
$8 and reusable.
Walgreen brand private label.
Newt

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This should answer some of your questions. The gear, spray, and precautions are all an investment in one's comfort and safety. I hunted probably 30 hunts in the summer two years ago and ended up with only one or two ticks and not a single case of poison ivy by using the methods in this post:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,162345.0.html

Best Wishes,

Buckleboy

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used that Technu last year after trompin thru an area full of PI. Never got PI. Maybe I wouldn't have got it anyway...but maybe the Technu does work :dontknow:
I'll use it again for sure.

Al

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
I rub poison ivy under my arm pits to take care of BO and poison oak to moisturize my dry skin. ;D

Of coarse, you know I'm only kidding. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones when it comes to poisonous plants. I can soak in PI or PO and never have a reaction to it. :wink:

Now, ticks and chiggers are another story. If I walk into a 100 acre field that has one tick in it, he's going to find me. I draw them like a magnet. Use a spray that has the highest content of DEET you can find. I like the pump spray type bottles because they last longer and you will get more use from them than the aresol cans. Most of the spray just goes into the air when using the aresol. If you can't find a high content (DEET) spray, get the best you can find. Ticks and chiggers don't like DEET, PERIOD. :)

Good Luck
Randy

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started a link in the forum called tool shed about bug repellant. I do not have a problem with the poison ivy and such but I do with chiggers. I have ordered the chig-away that some of the guys recommened and so far it works but there is other replys from the T'netters on here that may help you with the tick problem, Tim

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,274799.0.html

JohnnieWalker

Nov 30, 2009
Zebulon NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari Teknetics T2
The ticks I last year down here in the south were very tiny. Half the size of a sesame seed.

I've often thought about putting a wide doubleback tape around my pant legs to stop them from getting past my knees. Wonder if that would work.

It looks like I need some white jeans now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread