possible effigy??

birdpointgriswold

May 23, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a chance to buy these items from a guy. Wanted to see what you guys think... the story behind the head is this, he purchased these items from a woman who her brother found them on there family farm as a child. The man passed away at the age of 93. So they were found about 80 years ago. He hunted indian artifacts as a young boy and these are his favorite finds that he kept over the years.
IMG-20120918-WA0017.jpg

IMG-20120918-WA0015.jpg

IMG-20120918-WA0018.jpg

ForumRunner_20120919_090416.png

Johnathan Griswold

Upvote 0
OP
OP
birdpointgriswold

birdpointgriswold

May 23, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Twitch said:
Stating the obvious, it is an effigy, the question is from when?

Idk buddy its a strange one I havnt seen it with my own eyes just pictures so I'm in the dark right now

Johnathan Griswold

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only two artifacts I see in your pictures are the possible Guilford Axe and the little Preform above it. The rest are just rocks and the "Effigy" I highly doubt is Indian related. Never seen anything with a smiling face and eyes.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
birdpointgriswold said:
Idk buddy its a strange one I havnt seen it with my own eyes just pictures so I'm in the dark right now

Johnathan Griswold

After an item has been through a couple of hands in exchange of money, it scares me. It looks a little bit "white mannish" to me. Most effigies I have seen are based on elements in nature, or specific body parts. I have read of one clay head effigy being found in NC, but it was plain Jane. Use your gut. They look cool. Look at the effigies facial features. If I'm not mistaken, native Americans have a different skeletal structure than Caucasian . African people have a different structure from those. What I'm getting to is, I don't think natives would make a white man effigy . Could be trade, Gator would be your man on that! His GW pipe!!

OP
OP
birdpointgriswold

birdpointgriswold

May 23, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Grim Reaper said:
The only two artifacts I see in your pictures are the possible Guilford Axe and the little Preform above it. The rest are just rocks and the "Effigy" I highly doubt is Indian related. Never seen anything with a smiling face and eyes.

I was thinking same thing

Johnathan Griswold

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too would be spooked of the smiling one. It just don't look right to me. JMO - Good luck.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did some research on it and... nothing so far. I'm almost positive its not native American. If it were an owl or a turtle or something like that I would think better of it. I think figuring out the material might be a good place to start.Also it appears to have been the top of shaft of some kind.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont buy them. None look great to me.

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
There are many reasons to think it is not native american, or even old. But no one should disagree that it's an effigy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread