Possible error?

barneyb71

Mar 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this roll hunting. Can anyone help with any information on this being a possible error. And if so, maybe some kind a value. On the bottom side of the reverse, from the chest of the eagle down and almost all of the “Half Dollar” are there but not there. Almost like there was something wrong with the planchet when it was struck. No other damage on the coin.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1508076949.910644.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1508076964.847371.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1508076983.172865.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1508077001.682331.jpg

Seek Ye First

Sep 23, 2014
Central Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, you've definitely got an Error coin there! It's what known as a "Strike-Through" error, meaning some object came between the die and the planchet as it was being struck. Looks to me like a grease blob perhaps. Here's some info: https://sullivannumismatics.com/information/articles/strike-through-error-coins. Not sure on value; check eBay for results of "Sold" items. Good eyes finding it! :hello2:

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that coin is butt ugly and worth $5- $10

struck through grease or a tuna salad sandwich :dontknow::laughing9:

NICE FIND:icon_thumright:

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Very nice find!........It looks to me like struck through cloth but not 100% sure......it surely is struck through something......... I am not sure where the $5-$10 value came from but substantial (like this one is) strike through errors can bring really decent $$.....here is a blurb I found online......

HH all!

Greg

Most denominations of U.S. Coins are known struck through cloth, but the most to least common are: Lincoln cents, Jefferson nickels, Roosevelt dimes, Washington quarters, Kennedy half dollars, dollars. By far the rarest are Kennedy halves and dollars of which very few exist. Cloth strikes are valuable, and start around $200 for Lincoln cents, but can go as high as $2,000 for a nice example on a rare coin series such as dollars or half dollars. The two most important factors in desirability and value are how much cloth shows and how strong the weave pattern is.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions