Possible Pictograph Found on Wyoming Stone

CuriousCowgirl

Tenderfoot
Sep 8, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys! I found this rock while hunting for arrowheads along the Hoback River (Wyoming) yesterday afternoon. There's a very good chance it's nothing, but it would drive me crazy if I didn't at least get a second opinion! It's about the size of a bowling ball, maybe a little larger. I found it in a pile of mud and rocks along the river bank (our river is almost completely covered in rocks so I tend to look for any interesting features as I walk). Our house is situated on a dirt road that only has one other house upstream of it, and aside from a few seasonal hunters the whole area is fairly excluded and backs right up to the Wyoming Range mountains. So it's highly unlikely that the marks were made by any modern/recent settlers. And while it's possible that the marks were made by other rocks as the stone traveled down the river, I tested it by scratching a blank spot with another stone - which only resulted in a bit of residue from the stone I was scratching with. The marks are fairly deep, and definitely not something that would wash away. I personally see two crossed arrows (American Indian peace symbol?), but that may just be my active imagination! I also don't know why a pictograph/petroglyph would be on a stone that clearly hasn't been part of a rock formation for a long time. Opinions and theories are greatly appreciated! FullSizeRender 2.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the site! Were you able to get it back home? I know I would have tried! lol Wondering if you know of other such petroglyphs you could compare them too I would be so excited to find something like that! I was told of a big rock with petroglyphs in my area but haven't gotten to go see it yet.

OP
OP
C

CuriousCowgirl

Tenderfoot
Sep 8, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you NCPeaches!! I didn't carry it back home because I thought maybe my imagination was just running wild, but it's not far from my house and I marked the spot where its at. I could probably bring a backpack and carry it back that way! I haven't really seen many other petroglyphs in the area, but its a fairly underdeveloped/unexplored area. The local town has several archeological sites along the river (same river that I found this stone in), and the area is technically Shoshone territory. I'm just hesitant to believe its a genuine artifact since its a single stone and not part of a cave/wall/boulder!

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you NCPeaches!! I didn't carry it back home because I thought maybe my imagination was just running wild, but it's not far from my house and I marked the spot where its at. I could probably bring a backpack and carry it back that way! I haven't really seen many other petroglyphs in the area, but its a fairly underdeveloped/unexplored area. The local town has several archeological sites along the river (same river that I found this stone in), and the area is technically Shoshone territory. I'm just hesitant to believe its a genuine artifact since its a single stone and not part of a cave/wall/boulder!

I was going to ask if Shoshone territory, my great grandmother was a Shoshone. Do you find other artifacts near where you found this? I think it needs further inspection just to be sure so maybe try to get it to a better spot if you could to look at it more.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good eye for spotting that. A little info, pictographs are painted on, petroglyphs are pecked or scratched into the rock. Generally you will find them on wall panels or very large boulders, not as small as the rock you have. I don't know anything about an Indian peace symbol. The marks look fairly recent, so as the archy's would say maybe plow marks or marks left by the blade of a road grader. That being said, it's probably just a scratched up rock. However, lots of stories of Spanish entradas in Wyoming. So you might want to look into if it could be a trail marker left by them. You might want to do some research into that.

OP
OP
C

CuriousCowgirl

Tenderfoot
Sep 8, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NCPeaches, so far I've found several arrowheads in the area, but I haven't really spent much time looking and I suspect that there is more out there because of the area's prime hunting qualities. I'm going to go back for it today and clean it up a bit, just to give it a further inspection. I'll keep you posted!

OP
OP
C

CuriousCowgirl

Tenderfoot
Sep 8, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you RGINN, I realized shortly after posting that I had switched up the two! But at least if the rock ends up being nothing, I'll still have learned to get my types of symbols straight! :) Theres only one road in the area and the river where I found the rock is quite a ways from it, but still very possible that a road grater created the marks! Its not extremely large so I'm going to bring it back home today and do a little bit of research. It's probably nothing, but it will bother me until I find out for sure!

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, CuriousCowgirl, remember that the plow mark explanation is sometimes scientific speak for 'We can't explain it, so that must be what it is'. haha! That does appear to be an arrow. Just for fun, if you haven't already removed the rock, make a note of the orientation of the rock for future reference. Sight along the arrow, see if it points at anything interesting. Maybe walk in the direction it points for a ways. I have to say the marks look a little fresh to relate to anything very ancient, but you never know!

OP
OP
C

CuriousCowgirl

Tenderfoot
Sep 8, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for all of your help RGINN! I went back for the rock with the ATV, and brought it home to be cleaned up (but documented and noted its placement and "arrow" direction first). After removing the rest of the mud on the rock, I'm afraid I don't have a much clearer idea of whether or not it is indeed an artifact. The marks did continue and seemed to mirror the arrow on the right, however the left side was much less recognizable. My current theories are that either a.) the marks were caused by a plow and just happen to look very similar to a couple common Native American symbols. Or b.) early trappers in the area could have marked it as a trail marker, since the marks on it seem to have been made with a fairly fine-pointed object such as a knife (which would explain why they are not particularly pronounced). Either way, I agree that the marks seem to be fairly recent! But there was a lot of activity in the area around the turn of the century, so if it was created on purpose, I'm guessing that's around the time of it's origin! I'll post a complete photo when I can, and let you know if I find out any new information from any knowledgeable locals I talk to!

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job on noting the orientation before removing it. I think it's scrapings on the rock that ocurred in the last ten years or so, BUT, you have to consider how rocks weather in your area, and what markings were particular to your areas cultures, and just where you found it and what sort of activity went on there in the past.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
looks to me like an indicator to an ATM ( ignore the man behind the curtain- he is never serious)

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am seeing other marks on the stone. It is possible a dozer track encountered it as the marks are all pushed in one direction like a track was getting a grip and kicking it out? What ever it is it would make anyone stop and look..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread