Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

I am hooked on hunting for points and such, except I've been knocking myself out for months and haven't found anything. All the fields are full of corn now so the "easy button" is on hold until they harvest it, so I've been looking in other areas such as dry or partially dry stream and river beds, old trails, steep hillsides, steep carved out riverbanks ,etc and basically anywhere in the woods where there is little or no leaf cover on the ground. All the spots that I've been looking were once occupied by the local tribes so I know I am at least close! Any suggestions?

Upvote 0

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure if I can be of any real help but I will try by telling some of my story. I've lived in this one 3.5 acre spot since 1993, plowed several areas for gardens and never found anything but a large rock once in a while. That being said i kinda figured there had to have been campsites here but never had proof until we found the pottery shard in the creek of all places lol. My land is flat except my house is on a hill, there is a creek at the back of the flat area that is anywhere from 5ft to 15 ft down. I find most things after a flooding rain but it takes a lot of time and most of that is bent over so it can be hard on the back. I can try to help with creek hunting tips but it's really all l about luck and training your eyes. I've been in other creeks in my area which was heavily populated and found a few flakes and even a small pottery shard but have gone back a couple times with no luck at all so I stick to my backyard creek where nobody goes but me. Maybe try going to your local museum and see what's been found there, Google something like "native american artifacts in CT", and if there's dig going on nearby then check out what they find. The best tip I can give for creek hunting is to look on gravel bars for stuff that gets stuck on the rocks and sift or rake sand bars where you find broken glass because if broken glass gets stuck there so will pottery shards, so when I rake the sandbars and find broken glass I know it's pretty much a guarantee there will be potter there too. I don't know if this helps any but good luck with your searches, don't give up but it isn't easy most times to find things.

OP
OP
lisfisher

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks very much, all good tips! I did hunt a dry riverbed today and did see pottery and glass shards { old but not that old} mixed with smaller gravel and stones. Guess I should just keep searching that area over and over, eventually I'm sure I will spot something. Just so many millions of stones, gotta get my eye trained i guess!

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you are looking in the right spots, so all that is left to do is keep on keeping on. It will happen you just have to put in the time and miles.

OP
OP
lisfisher

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
would I be better off bringing a sifter with me when i go to the partially dried up river beds??

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
would I be better off bringing a sifter with me when i go to the partially dried up river beds??

It couldn't hurt for hunting the sand/small pebble bars. I've found small shards and you might find the clear points that way...I've even found a piece of white quartz with tiny garnets in it like that, so yeppers give it a go. btw that little black Palmer point in my avatar I found using a hand type leaf rake and raking small pebbles that had collected in one spot and it rolled up with the water, almost didn't catch it :tongue3:

OP
OP
lisfisher

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SCORE!! took a ride after work and drove past one of the local cornfields, they just harvested today. Found this one staring at me within 15 minutes! Not sure what type, maybe an Adena? point 2.jpg pont.jpg

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Out here in the west good areas to search is isolated sources of water (springs) and high places along streams. Also find areas near these areas that would give protection from the elements.

Last edited:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Out here in the west good areas to search is isolated sources of water (springs) and high places along streams. Also find areas near these areas that would give protection from the elements.

You could take that anywhere and be successful

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions