possible presidential campaign button??

Mkriegs

Sep 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this large object at a old homesite that dates to the mid 1800s. On the front it clearly states "the president" after that there is one more word, maybe two. the only letters that are visible are "DO_G..." the D and G are questionable. If its a presidential button the only person i could find that it could be from is Stephen douglas in 1860. The center and back are completely devoid of writing or design. Any thoughts?! image2 (1).JPG image3 (1).JPG image1 (3).JPG

Upvote 9

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find -congrats

BB. Not sure what you meant either. Can you elaborate??
think he got confused with one fever87 posted - which looked cleaned
prob thought it was yours
congrats on the find:thumbsup:

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Yeah that's a awesome piece of history there. I'd love to get my coil over one

HH Jer

OP
OP
Mkriegs

Mkriegs

Sep 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would make sense. thanks again everyone btw! Also, do you guys believe that this is something that I should get appraised? Im from kentucky and we do not find many artifacts like this around here so i really dont know what to do. Im a poor college student and I certainly would try to hold off selling it but I would like to see if I should take further steps to preserve it, ect..

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well you have basically found the holy grail of metal detecting North America congratulations keep in mind they were in sets of four and typically all held on the coat with a single ribbon. So where there is one there is often more

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I didn't think it was anything at first. How would you have cleaned it? And why is the water damaging?

certainly a dry toothpick method would've yielded better results. Check out my post in cleaning and preservation on TNet about cleaning buttons, or one of my articles in WE Treasures magazine on the same topic. Water is a cleaning method, and often not the best one. I don't clean any of my buttons with water anymore. Only toothpick, dry toothbrush, or aluminum jelly if gilded. Pewter often has to be stabilized so it doesn't flake away.

hope this helps,

Buck

OP
OP
Mkriegs

Mkriegs

Sep 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes! thank you very much buckleboy! Your thread was very informative

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread