Possible shipwreck, maybe I finally found mine!

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, after a bit of searching I may have finally stumbled on a wreck. Or possibly nothing but an interesting natural formation. The target is lying in an area where the depth is approximately 15' (based on modern navigation charts). This area rises from flats that average 22' for a bit, then deeper.

This area shoals, sometimes more sand, sometimes less (as expected). The area has never been dredged or sanded, not that I can find a record of, nor would there be a reason to at this location.

In the third shot there is a line of trees that may add some scale. I'm guessing the target may be 80-90'?

This object does not appear on Google Earth, and was possibly completely buried during that photo shot, so I can't take a measurement from there. I can only SWAG it based on the tree line.

If this is a vessel, might there be this much left from something XXX years old? XXX meaning I'm looking for suggestions. Civil War, more modern, possibly older... just some opinions please.

I won't be able to get to dive this site for another 4 weeks or so, which is a bit frustrating. The object is in Florida waters, in a known area for fresh water supply since the early 1600's. This was a listed anchorage on some of the period navigation charts, so boats have been coming to this spot for quite a while.

Attachments

• TGT Sierra.jpg
    TGT Sierra.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 1,382
  • TGT Sierra 2.jpg
    TGT Sierra 2.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 1,386
  • TGT Sierra 3.jpg
    TGT Sierra 3.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 1,381

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep it a secret,dont post any more pics.If the state finds out about it.They will just give it to some university to loot.Then of course you or the public will never hear about it again.Just dive it an see what it is.Theres no law that says you cant dive on shipwrecks here in florida.

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FISHEYE said:
Keep it a secret,dont post any more pics.If the state finds out about it.They will just give it to some university to loot.Then of course you or the public will never hear about it again.Just dive it an see what it is.Theres no law that says you cant dive on shipwrecks here in florida.

Yet !!!

OP
OP
G.I.B.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been keeping up with the new rule changes with great interest. I don't recall which one, but either North or South Carolina certifies their divers to a degree, and they actually work with the state where everyone benefits! What a great concept!

Sadly, I don't believe Florida will go that way... Texas is a great example. There is no telling what has been lost as a result of their restrictive laws and policies.

People will explore. Why not work with them?

Anyhow, I don't know of any law that requires mandatory reporting the possibility of something that may or may not be there. I was wondering if some of the experts here could give opinions on the site as its been described (with the obvious limitations), throwing in a little voice of experience. In as much as, looking at the tree line, the object would more likely be XXX feet long. I've investigated similar looking objects before and it turned out to be a ___________. When you dive this try and focus on the __________. Look for signs of ____________.

Any of that kind of stuff.

If it turns out to be something great... well, we shall cross that razor wire when we get to it.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
congrats you ve found an interesting object for sure and in a spot that is very promising indeed-- fresh water was vital to ships and those 15 foot shallows next to a 22 foot deeper water area is just the sort of spot that a boat might sit at anchor at while awaiting men from an watering trip --- and they could easily get hit by a sudden "summer squall" and be driven into the shallows bursting bottom in the process -- however take it from me theres a big diiferace between finding a wreck in the state of floridas waters and being "legally" able to recover anything from it --- and know that anything you tell the state becomes "public record" ---as always until you got your claim set in stone mums the word about it -- now you just like me got a dog in the fight as to the new "salvage" rules and their effect on us ---Ivan

---- OBTW --- 15 feet is a ideal depth for a shipwreck of schooner or pink (a type of small vessel) and is a common depth for many shallow water (storm wrecked) shipwrecks :wink:

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
stuart..the treasure coast..well, used to be
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur with a WOT!
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The state, in their misguided zeal to "protect" whatever they're protecting, has created an adversarial relationship with the populace. As such, their actions are counterproductive. Idiots.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
if your ideal of "protecting" wrecksites means leaving things laying on the bottom to rot away or be looted by looters --then the states doing a fine job indeed ---if it means actually getting some of the unique items off the bottom into a safe place where the can be seen and letting the more common items of worth be of use to modern man ---nope they aren't --- its a case where the state of florida has no vessels --no manpower and no budget to recover squat --- so they can not recover items in anything approaching a timely manner ---and they do not have them means to be all places at once to stop the looters as they let these wrecks siit on the bottom .--- thus in effect the state needs salvors to legally harvest these wrecks -- of course salvors are a "for profiet" thus the normal salvor 80 % / state 20% set up -- which is fair since the state only issues permits and still they get the equal to the spanish kings "royal" tax of old (funny thing the king of spains tax "cut" in 1715 to bring money back to spain was also 20% --so things have not changed much over the years have they?) --- the salvors provide the funding and take the risk of hitting a dry hole --they do all the labor --and have to pay all the permit fees up front ---these days they pay for the state to have an arch on site watching over things --- thus paying out of their pockets for the states "overseer" to watch them (hum shouldn't that be the states "duty" to provide a arch since hes their offical "rep"?) -- but by paying for them personally the state can not cry we don't have enough "staff" archies to supply you with one (under this set up theres no way it cost the state one cent --even if the site produces nothing at all -- its only the salvors money that is spent ----the state gets the permit fees wither the site is good or not --the archie is employed site good or not -- its all "up side" cash wize for the state / fla tax payors(and in these tough times the statte coffers can use all the money they can get) -- we the people of florida in effect are getting money and spending zip in the process -- and if a nice bit of treasure is found it draws tourist in to see the finds -- cuz folks always have and always will love to see treasure and the finding of treasure and they love to "dream of finding a treasure coin on the beach for themselves"--its the nature of people . we need reasonible laws and understandible and usible permit processes its to the benefit of all in the long run --

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
G.I.B.,

Looks interesting enough to dive it!! :thumbsup:

Check your internet email for a message from me (not TreasureNet message center).

Pcola

OldGold74

Jul 12, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab/Fisher/Aquapulse
It looks good only thing I see is the size as a comparison to what else is in the picture it is too big...just my opinion hope its a wreck would be nice but if you compare it to the reef fingers, maybe, nice shape. Good luck
GH

OP
OP
G.I.B.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I appreciated the opinions and suggestions. I should be able to dive on this in 3 weeks from now. I'll happily report my findings!

theGOLD

Dec 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
JW Fisher 8x
Anything ever happen on this one?? Its a few months old now, but it looked promising!

OP
OP
G.I.B.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
No, there is nothing here. I found nothing. It was a couple of rocks. There was never anything here, just a rock.

Dear State of Florida Archeological Division,

There is nothing here. If there had been something here, I would have left it here to rot away in a legal and proper manner in accordance with the spirit and intentions of the State of Florida Archeological Division, should this in fact proven to even have been anywhere near the State of Florida. I don't think the rock was over 50 years old, otherwise I would have called you and reported it. I think its a new rock.

theGOLD

Dec 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
JW Fisher 8x
Ha ha ha ha I like it!
Throw it in an envelope and mail it off!

-theGOLD

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
as sgt shultz says --I know nothing --I see nothing -- I say nothing -- ja und dats de vay to be des days it seems.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
yeh yeh it was a buncha rocks --new less than 50 year old rocks --- matter of fact I THINK it was musta been building rubble --yeh yeh thats the ticket NEW BUILDING RUBBLE and jeez I can't seem to remember exactly where it was either -- but I seem to remenber going out beyond the 3 mile limit --- ;D ( SUCKS HAVING A BAD MEMORY ) ;D

gilmerman

Dec 31, 2006
Central South East
GIB, you need to have a wing man to watch your six. The Government is OK with this stuff laying there until Jesus comes back. If we have wait for the academics to explore it we will never get to enjoy these relics. If you explore it, your a criminal. Isn't there a law in Florida, to share the wealth, between Government the discoverer? That sucks but at least we get to see or buy some of the artifacts. I have been fortunate enough to have purchase a beautiful Spanish coin from one of their wrecks; hate to see others denied the pleasure

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread