Wally Taylor

Jan 3, 2017
Western New York
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster, White's Bullseye II Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
image.jpeg
Hello Native American Tool Experts. I found this point while metal detecting an old cabin site right next to my creek. I thought it was a scraper, but when I posted it on "Today's Finds", the guys recommended that I post a picture here for identification.
The consensus on that post seems to identify it as a possible Spear Point. I would appreciate any help that You could give me. Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is the tip of a knife blade.....

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Note the possible impact fracture at the very tip. Also, looks like the break along the bottom may have been touched up and possibly used as a scraper...hard to tell from this image though....almost has a Folsom look to it. Western New York correct?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to tell from picture, but they reused ever thing they could, there was no local walmart....:laughing7:

OP
OP
Wally Taylor

Wally Taylor

Jan 3, 2017
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
image.jpeg
Note the possible impact fracture at the very tip. Also, looks like the break along the bottom may have been touched up and possibly used as a scraper...hard to tell from this image though....almost has a Folsom look to it. Western New York correct?
Do You think that the touched-up area would have been used to true up arrow and spear shafts?

Last edited:

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I see in the pics looks to be a dart point with a impact break at the tip with a ear broken off and the stem broken off. JMO. Nice find:icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Wally Taylor

Wally Taylor

Jan 3, 2017
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Can You tell me if this is made from chert (sp?) or what type of stone?

chase2

May 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
One good possibility, could be a Snyders.
But without the base we're all just guessing.

That is what I was thinking but your right not enough of the base to say for sure.

OP
OP
Wally Taylor

Wally Taylor

Jan 3, 2017
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
At least it's a really old tool. I think whatever it began its life as, it finished it as a scraper. I think the one side looks like the broken piece at the base looks like it was worked over to be a really sharp scraper.
It looks like originally it was really well made.

Last edited:

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Agree, there is very good craftsmanship on your piece. If you could get a really good close up of the bottom (1st image), that would help us determine if it has been reworked. That was my first thought yesterday when I viewed it.....

Buckleberry

Sep 4, 2010
Great find.
From what I see in the pics looks to be a dart point with a impact break at the tip with a ear broken off and the stem broken off. JMO. Nice find:icon_thumleft:
Hey there my friend, you must've missed the quarter in the pic for size reference....way too big for a dart.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread