possible treasure???

SEEKR

Nov 28, 2008
Hello everyone, my name is Jim, I am fairly new to MDing but have been lurking around for a while, yesterday I was out detecting a wooded area and was only finding pieces of iron here and there , i stopped and surveyed the area as a whole and noticed the trees roughly lined in 2 rows so i placed myself in the middle and started swinging, i was hitting the base of all the trees and got a signal, i looked around and this was the biggest tree in the area, HUGE TREE, so i started digging and hit iron, so i poked around with my digger and kept digging, it was a flat piece of metal about 4" wide and 1' out from under the tree,next to it a leather strap so i pulled on it and it ripped off, after inspection it turned out to be part of a sleeve of an old sweater, so i dug more and tried to bend the iron but the roots have grown over it and it goes under the tree, i heard people in the area so i filled the hole and covered it with leaves, I need to go back with a shovel and dig deeper, it is all i have been thinking of!!! is it possible a farmer or ?? buried some loot under there? i think it was an old farm years ago. Man i am loving this hobby/sickness.

Huck Mucus

Sep 11, 2008
Regarding your level of excitement, it really wouldn't be fair for you to come in here and get folks all stirred up without coming back and telling us what happened, now would it? ;D I, for one, am now excited to find out.

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jim, first welcome to the site....the odds are it is not a buried cache...however it could be. You will never know until whatever it is, is dug up. Go for it, and GOOD LUCK!

Have fun

Rick

Roadquest

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2005
C.R. HKt.B Sometimes there's not a right way, or
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SEEKR said:
Hello everyone, my name is Jim, I am fairly new to MDing but have been lurking around for a while, yesterday I was out detecting a wooded area and was only finding pieces of iron here and there , i stopped and surveyed the area as a whole and noticed the trees roughly lined in 2 rows so i placed myself in the middle and started swinging, i was hitting the base of all the trees and got a signal, i looked around and this was the biggest tree in the area, HUGE TREE, so i started digging and hit iron, so i poked around with my digger and kept digging, it was a flat piece of metal about 4" wide and 1' out from under the tree,next to it a leather strap so i pulled on it and it ripped off, after inspection it turned out to be part of a sleeve of an old sweater, so i dug more and tried to bend the iron but the roots have grown over it and it goes under the tree, i heard people in the area so i filled the hole and covered it with leaves, I need to go back with a shovel and dig deeper, it is all i have been thinking of!!! is it possible a farmer or ?? buried some loot under there? i think it was an old farm years ago. Man i am loving this hobby/sickness.

If by some Chance, you did happen to find a good amount of "valuables". Keep it to yourself.
Or, You won't keep it yourself.

Roadquest

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
Hey SEEKR…Think back a 100 years or so. How would you mark a spot for a treasure? If you knew that the only tool available was a Spanish Dip Needle .(a compass setting on edge) you would bury it under a piece of Iron. What is a treasure? Whatever was valuable to that person. It may be his grandfathers watch or 200 gold coins. In the old days, Plow shears and doors from wood stoves were very popular items used to mark treasures…Art

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Vibraprobe 570, My Melon
Flashlight + MD + Headlamp... ;D

I would not sleep well if I did not check it, could be nothing but you never know.

Good luck and if you find something "big" like was stated before keep it to yourself.

Good Luck and welcome to the madness

Square Nail

Greenie
Nov 5, 2008
Take me along, I'll help ya, cover your back, dig, what ever it takes. Hey, now I'm excited. Take a camera along. If you find a good stash, recover the goodies, shovel it back and shut up. But we need to know. Just remember, a picture is worth a thousand words. Good luck. :thumbsup:

K

Kentucky Kache

I hope you find something good. If not, keep at 'er. :icon_pirat:

littletwig

Sep 4, 2008
Magnolia, TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, M6, 6x10 DD, 4x6 DD
Have you dug it yet????? Have you dug yet???? Come on now Geterdone and tell us what you find. Please ;D ;D

OP
OP
S

SEEKR

Nov 28, 2008
well guys, i have not returned yet as the site is about 25 miles from me, however i do plan to return and dig deeper, the only problem being this is a public park and wooded area and it is well traveled by dog walkers and horsback. i want to take a camera and more tools all the while trying to not be too suspicious, i will keep you posted... as soon as it quits snowing! Thanks,

OP
OP
S

SEEKR

Nov 28, 2008
OK guys, i went back and dug deeper under the tree, from what i could tell there was a cache of some type under there but somebody dug it out at some point in time before i discovered it, the rusted metal that is embeded in the roots was the top of a metal box that was taken at some point and the sweater cuff must have been part of a sweater inside the box? i dug around pretty good under there and found nothing ??? oh well, it was a thrill for a little while. i think i will search this area a little harder and see if there may be more?? Jim

White Feather

Nov 19, 2008
Ellenton, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster, Bounty Hunter, Propwash...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
;D Okay Treasure Hunter, now you're hooked and reeled in. Now sentenced to a life of swinging, digging and knowing that the big find is at the very next dig. Gotcha!!! :icon_sunny: :tongue3: :coffee2:

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
What if the sweater WAS the cache?
thanks-1.jpg

What else would one do with such a treasure as this?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread