Post Hurricane Advice Please

ramfan

May 30, 2008
Myrtle Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett F250/F150
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I moved to Myrtle Beach in February of this year. I have gone the typical route of a newcomer to this wonderful hobby. I purchased an F150 and swung that for a while before graduating to the F250. I have had some success as I can usually get out to hunt 3 or 4 times a week. 3 gold rings, 925 silver necklace and enough clad, hot wheels and sunglasses to fill the bottom of my pirate treasure chest I bought and decorated from Michaels......lol.

Now I need some serious help.....with the first of three possible hurricanes coming through tonight I was wondering if I could get dome tips and/or advice from some of the more experienced hunters here? When to go afterwards? Shoreline? Dryer sand? Most of the sites I have been reading have said low tide along the water.... I have had some difficulty setting the 250 to the best sensitivity and discrimination in the very wet sand to avoid so many false signals and have had most of my better finds in the dry sand.
I do not want to miss out on the better finds and the opportunity storms like these can stir up. Any advise or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Darrell

Kansasippi

Nov 26, 2006
Delphos
Detector(s) used
Prizm IV,ML 18000,Tesoro Inca,Black Widows
There is a clay base under the sand on the east coast, and other places, when storms come in the sand is washed away. But in a very few days most of the sand washes back. Not so in the gulf but on the Atlantic side.

when the sand washes out most of the 'goodies' rest on the clay base, still depends on what has been lost but you won't need disc or too much sens...

Good luck and HH

OP
OP
ramfan

ramfan

May 30, 2008
Myrtle Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett F250/F150
Primary Interest:
Thanks Kansasippi! I seem to get false readings unless I turn discrimination down to about 3 bars, but will try a little less discrimination tomorrow after the storm passes.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Ramfan, sounds like you're doing great!

Tnet is wonderful. Excellent advice.

If you are doing beach and salt water hunting,
take a look over at Thegoldenolde.com.

It was a site by Norm Garnush.
He's gone now.
The site is maintained by some nice folks.

If you read through his tips on sand movement, storms, and such, you'll have a bit better idea of how things seems to go.

Good luck to you,
rmptr

LoL! 2nd time this week I've pitched Norm's site...
He really was a great guy.

OP
OP
ramfan

ramfan

May 30, 2008
Myrtle Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett F250/F150
Primary Interest:
Thank you rmptr! I will surely check it out. Right after I finish my fantasy draft...lol Then I have to hit the beach. Tropical storm Hanna came through last night and hopefully stirred some things up! Thanks again!

Darrell

sqwaby

Apr 13, 2008
I use a 250 to MD the gulf beaches(Texas), you will have to turn down the sen as you transistion from dry sand to the wetter sand near the water. You will find plenty of stuff even with a 3 or 4 setting. Listen closely for those faint signals for small gold, like earings and such. I wrap my detector display with stretch tight to seal out the salt air, it works better than the factory covers. If you don't cover it you will eventually start to have corrosion problems with the circuit board or the battery contacts.

OP
OP
ramfan

ramfan

May 30, 2008
Myrtle Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett F250/F150
Primary Interest:
Thanks sqwaby. Never thought of that. I have not seen anyone else with theirs wrapped but will take the advise as I can't afford to replace mder just yet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions