Post Mortem cards

E59

Feb 28, 2005
On the river bank
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow, it's been a while since I posted. Yard sale season has heated up and I'm coaching T-Ball. Anyway, if you want a great way to make money on ebay that most people don't know about just look for cabinet cards with deceaced children in them. I paid a buck for my first one and it went for 36. I've got one going right now but I paid 5 for it. I was creeped out at first but my inner money-grubber took over and now I scour any old box of photos. It takes a keen eye to recognize one but once you get the hang of it it's a piece of cake. If you want to see mine just type in "family post mortem card dead" in the ebay search box and mine will pop up for you. Good luck, hope you like the idea!

klava

Mar 13, 2007
Them there hills!
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistidor
Not sure how it could be offensive but it is a bit morbid I guess. Those things have never bothered me though.

My little understanding of these types of pictures is it was accepted in olden days as a way to remember someone. It is a big part of history and different types of history should be kept in the hands of people who care about that history. Hopefully someone who truly does care about the history of the piece will end up with it. I'm sure it has a better chance of doing so on EBay than in a yardsale somewhere.

That being said the girl really doesn't look dead to me. Looks a little restless maybe. Back then you only got one chance at getting it right as the cost to get one family portrait would have been very expensive. As for the "sad" look on the moms face. You wont find any pics of that time period where people are smiling. It just wasn't the way it was done then.

Anyway good luck with the auction and thanks for the heads up. I always look for old stuff just because I love the history. Don't think I have any pics of dead people though lol

-K

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they are very creepy but oddly very intriguing
there is a web page(Canadian) floating around with with a 40 or 50 of them on it
for your viewing pleasure

Kiko68

Mar 20, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Detector(s) used
ACE 150
Hey there, checked out your auction, but a bit confused. So, the children in the picture are dead? How can you tell or spot them?

HH, Kiko

OP
OP
E59

E59

Feb 28, 2005
On the river bank
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sorry you found it offensive, I don't personally collect them but I am happy to make money for my family in such an easy way. ;D
The little girl that is leaning over is the one that is possibly deceased. I sold one very similar to it last month and turned my $1 into $36 on ebay. The more you see this type of photo the easier they are to recognize. From what I understand they are propped up many times, leaned on someone, and even have their eyes touched up with paint. The really old ones can fetch 100's each.

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)
Ok so maybe the word offensive was a bit strong and I apologize for that. I do, however, find it pretty morbid. Nothing about a collection of photographs of dead children is even remotely interesting to me. I understand you are selling them to make money and that is all well and good. I just question why in the world would anyone be fascinated be seeing a dead child of yesteryear?
But to each their own I suppose.

I honestly mean no disrespect to you personally.

~Nash~

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
i have seen some in old family pictures. probably are still in someones closet. only these photos showed a hand holding the head of the deceased up. they took these pictures as the only rememberance of the loved one. the cost of a picture back then was too expensive to waste on the living....it is pretty morbid but taken in that context makes sense.......

B

BIG61AL

Photograph were not always cheap and accessable for everyone..sometimes it may be the only picture ever taken of a loved one...i can certainly understand the need to take the last photograph as it was "the" last photograph

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread