Post Your best finds That You Thought might have Made banner.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably everybody that has posted on here over the years has made a find that they thought might have made the banner, but for one reason or another they slipped by. This is not a thread for complaining it just happens, perhaps the find never received enough votes, or perhaps the story line was not good enough, could be a number of reasons.

I haven't posted a thread for a while, so a chance to look back at some of my finds, and others from over the years. I have had my share of banners so I can't complain really, but I must admit I thought some were a no brainer, and some unlikely to make it up top.

I'll start with one that I thought was a no brainer, but didn't go up top despite probably being one of the rarest of my finds. A key dating back to the 9th century and most likely from the Viking/Saxon period.

SS

Attachments

• Key.jpg
    Key.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 1,591
  • 1 key.jpg
    1 key.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 1,501
Upvote 31
OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok I'll play. At least when you don't make the banner you still get to keep the find. ;)

The day I found this things were not going great, and I was actually 2nd guessing my site choice for the day, but it was getting to be too late to change so decided to stick with it. I would have been very happy with a Rev War period 24th pewter in any condition, but was very surprised to see a nice officer button pop out of a little patch of iron that didn't seem to have anything other than 1800s farm junk.

This one was particularly sweet for me to find as it was my first Rev War British numbered officer button, and took 14 years to find. If I were to consider finds before I joined the Tnet I'd easily have about half dozen or so to post... maybe even more. I've always been curious what my banner count would be at had I joined in 1999 because Ironhorse and I used to dig much more, and got the good results that comes with getting out a lot.... not to mention good early sites were much easier to find.
Wasn't there a Token that slipped by as well :icon_scratch:

SS

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think the Banners also give motivation to keep hunting! :-) To find something rare and exciting and banner-worthy... YIPPEE!!!! We love celebrating Banner finds with our detecting friends (and we don't even have a Banner yet!). ~Lisa & John

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was slipping so I slipped it off the site. :tongue3:

It might have made it but I didn't think it was really something that should have needed a debate.
You still got a picture? I sure would like to see it again bet others would to.

SS

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
Interesting thread.

Figured these had a chance - 18k (tested) gold cufflinks. Consensus is 2nd half of the 1800s. Found July 2015.

Attachments

• July 11, 2015 (8).jpg
    July 11, 2015 (8).jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 145
  • July 11, 2015 (12).jpg
    July 11, 2015 (12).jpg
    589 KB · Views: 138
  • July 11, 2015 (10).jpg
    July 11, 2015 (10).jpg
    477 KB · Views: 140

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting thread.

Figured these had a chance - 18k (tested) gold cufflinks. Consensus is 2nd half of the 1800s. Found July 2015.

Those are spectacular! -Lisa & John

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
These finds are incredible! Great post.

And don't sweat the banner (not that I'm accusing anyone), but the banner 'system' is rubbish. There's a thousand other better ways to go about handling the banner system rather than some vague guidelines and only an elite couple of users that can have a pow-wow and decide what is deserving of the banner and what isn't, regardless of incoming votes... And don't dare use your first amendment rights to discuss what made the banner or how it made the banner, you'll get slapped around for doing so.

The banner 'system' is truly the ONLY negativism of this website.

metaldetecta

Jun 10, 2013
Michigan Troll
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro and Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 2 finds I was bummed didn't make banner, a Civil War powder flask, and a rare CCC ring. There is the exact same powder flask in the Henry Ford museum.

Attachments

• 1479496492643.jpg
    1479496492643.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 125
  • 1479496709692.jpg
    1479496709692.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 127

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I have 2 finds I was bummed didn't make banner, a Civil War powder flask, and a rare CCC ring. There is the exact same powder flask in the Henry Ford museum.
Wow those finds are amazing and I'm not much for relics.

No one here should be bummed or disappointed, you have the treasure of a life time. And it's yours to show anytime!

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
OBN is right on. You found the objects and they are yours to treasure for the rest of your life. Even if all you have is a picture because you sold your treasure, YOU found it and that memory will last a lifetime. I remember vividly the morning I unearthed the gold eagle.

I don't need a banner for my best finds. My joy was being able to come across them in the first place.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Only a few items St barbara 14k.jpg 14 K 6 rubies power flask.jpg Powder Flask HH Chug

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Both of my Pine Tree Threepences, one cut from a shilling, the other as minted. image.jpeg image.jpeg The Oak Tree Shilling did make it. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg I thought my Copper Culture conical point was a contender, since it was found in NY.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OBN is right on. You found the objects and they are yours to treasure for the rest of your life. Even if all you have is a picture because you sold your treasure, YOU found it and that memory will last a lifetime. I remember vividly the morning I unearthed the gold eagle.

I don't need a banner for my best finds. My joy was being able to come across them in the first place.

For sure. The banner is nothing more than an added acknowledgement and does not come close to matching the high the of the find. If it was such a big deal I'd probably wake up hating myself a little for only joining in 2007, because I had better years on average from 1999-2007 than 2007-now..... and then it was easier to get a find up top so I would certainly have more banner finds than my current 4. I have so many great memories, and nothing gets taken away because I was not on here to get a banner.... so I don't plan to care a whole lot more if I am here and do not get one. It's a whole lot better being someone who kicks a$$ every week with good stuff... now to just be that guy! :)

EliteDarkVlad

Sep 3, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok well I was reading through this banner and the words echoing through my ears nothing good to be found in Oklahoma except on the eastern side near the hills. Since I'm not a native to Oklahoma this was kind of disheartening to hear however I did a little digging metaphorically and actual. To my surprise there is a very rich and not well known history of Oklahoma City. Everything from the land rush to the railroad and let's not forget the secret underground city of the Chinese in the heart of OKC. In fact there was a major subterranean Chinese living quarters, opium den, wash area, and market found right where the Chesapeake arena sits the city voted to demo it. Which to hear breaks a history buffs heart. So I kept that in mind when I would go downtown to think; what else must be hiding under ground. I was only a mile from brick town when I went in search of what I could dig up. I had been searching for about 3 weeks finding wheat pennies, some 1940s+ silvers, a few relics that I will say are nice. When I was detecting this day it was hot,humid and I had pulled really nothing but trash then I picked up a nice solid signal like a coin or copper. I expected another wheat penny so I picked up this round shape still covered in dirt; when the center of it fell out my heart sank as I thought I had just discovered a copper washer. Well as I wiped of the dirt before placing it in my pocket I notice a design I flipped it over and wiped the dirt and another design appeared I was holding in my hand a Chinese coin. I couldn't contain my excitement I jumped around whooping and hollaring like a fool lol. I did a little research and discovered the coin was minted in China between 1765-1795. Now keep in mind its not a rare coin even less so if you live in California but only a hand full have ever been found in Oklahoma. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1498679337.929154.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1498679358.011401.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1498679377.258339.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1498679395.165230.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1498679410.722058.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1498679428.437176.jpg
I have also included a few other neat things I found in OKC. Keep dig the treasure waits for those who put in the time and effort. Good luck and I hope you liked my tale.

Last edited:

plymouthian12

Silver Member
Mar 26, 2010
massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
DFX, EXcalibur, Dual Field, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's mine. And yes it's real 20140819_161723.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok well I was reading through this banner and the words echoing through my ears nothing good to be found in Oklahoma except on the eastern side near the hills. Since I'm not a native to Oklahoma this was kind of disheartening to hear however I did a little digging metaphorically and actual. To my surprise there is a very rich and not well known history of Oklahoma City. Everything from the land rush to the railroad and let's not forget the secret underground city of the Chinese in the heart of OKC. In fact there was a major subterranean Chinese living quarters, opium den, wash area, and market found right where the Chesapeake arena sits the city voted to demo it. Which to hear breaks a history buffs heart. So I kept that in mind when I would go downtown to think; what else must be hiding under ground. I was only a mile from brick town when I went in search of what I could dig up. I had been searching for about 3 weeks finding wheat pennies, some 1940s+ silvers, a few relics that I will say are nice. When I was detecting this day it was hot,humid and I had pulled really nothing but trash then I picked up a nice solid signal like a coin or copper. I expected another wheat penny so I picked up this round shape still covered in dirt; when the center of it fell out my heart sank as I thought I had just discovered a copper washer. Well as I wiped of the dirt before placing it in my pocket I notice a design I flipped it over and wiped the dirt and another design appeared I was holding in my hand a Chinese coin. I couldn't contain my excitement I jumped around whooping and hollaring like a fool lol. I did a little research and discovered the coin was minted in China between 1765-1795. Now keep in mind its not a rare coin even less so if you live in California but only a hand full have ever been found in Oklahoma. View attachment 1466529 View attachment 1466530 View attachment 1466531 View attachment 1466532 View attachment 1466533 View attachment 1466534
I have also included a few other neat things I found in OKC. Keep dig the treasure waits for those who put in the time and effort. Good luck and I hope you liked my tale.

Hey, there is a LOT of good competition of startling Finds on this forum, so don't worry, its still waiting for YOU...!
Nice Finds! :icon_thumright:
Good place to help date Chinese coinage is
Chinese Coins

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread