Post Your Best Gold/Silver/Bronze Ring(over 100years Old)

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• ring3.jpg
    ring3.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 2,812
  • ring.jpg
    ring.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 2,988
  • Roman Ring.jpg
    Roman Ring.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 2,811
  • ring3.jpg
    ring3.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 2,714
  • ring.jpg
    ring.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 2,731
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Post Your Best Gold/Silver Ring(over 100years Old)

shaun7 said:
Silver Searcher said:
::) I will never forget this day, bright and sunny :) I was looking up watching the Swallows catching flies on a warm barmy day :o I looked down on what was giving me the signal :o

SS

I love that picture :icon_thumleft:

That's just how my one was, but I didn't have the camera. Even if I did I probably wouldn't have had the patience.
Always carry the camera, for just such occasions. The amount of times I have found things just lying on top :o

SS

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
The 100+ year old gold isn't an easy club to join, but seeing what's posted, it's a great one to have a membership to!
Well deserved with that one :thumbsup:

SS

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I know its gold.....but how old?....I think its from the Dinosaur age!!! :laughing7: :laughing7:

gold ring.jpg

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The Seeker said:
I know its gold.....but how old?....I think its from the Dinosaur age!!! :laughing7: :laughing7:
I'll let you off :laughing7: loverly ring :thumbsup:

SS

mile-ender

Jun 29, 2009
Lower Canada
Detector(s) used
BountyHunter fast tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm thinking at least one of these fits the mark. What do ya think? Both are childrens rings, first one's silver, simply marked sterling (probably baptismal judging from the size), the second one's marked 10k and looks to have been cut to fit a smaller finger.

Attachments

• IMG_4193.JPG
    IMG_4193.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 2,435
  • IMG_4190.JPG
    IMG_4190.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 2,436
OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mile-ender said:
I'm thinking at least one of these fits the mark. What do ya think? Both are childrens rings, first one's silver, simply marked sterling (probably baptismal judging from the size), the second one's marked 10k and looks to have been cut to fit a smaller finger.
Yep....they both look older than 100years :o nice rings :thumbsup:

SS

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Gave my Gold Posy Ring (1580-1620s) away to the farmers wife. (£1000)

The nicest Roman Silver Ring with carved God in blue stone is in the British Museum.

Got a few other Victorian Gold & Silver types but not worth finding & posting. (if I still have them, never been that keen on them, mostly gave them to farmers)

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER said:

The nicest Roman Silver Ring with carved God in blue stone is in the British Museum.

Got a few other Victorian Gold & Silver types but not worth finding & posting. (if I still have them, never been that keen on them, mostly gave them to farmers)
You must have pictures :icon_scratch: my stirrup rings in the BM(for now) but I have pictures.

SS

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

MY RING is in with all my other treasure, here at home. :thumbsup: Sucks to be U! ...as in UK'ers! ;D

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:'(

This was my one and only Silver Roman ring(incomplete) never forget that day :o

SS

Attachments

• S&H 049.jpg
    S&H 049.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 2,550
  • S&H 049.jpg
    S&H 049.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 2,548

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:

You must have pictures :icon_scratch: my stirrup rings in the BM(for now) but I have pictures.

SS

No, never had a camera at that stage.

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp

I didn't see the silver bit of the title :icon_scratch: Did you add that SS?

mile-ender

Jun 29, 2009
Lower Canada
Detector(s) used
BountyHunter fast tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
MY RING is in with all my other treasure, here at home. :thumbsup: Sucks to be U! ...as in UK'ers! ;D
Personally, I'd love it if the museums here took more of an interest...

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

shaun7 said:
I didn't see the silver bit of the title :icon_scratch: Did you add that SS?
Yes...not long after the first post, thought it might open the thread a bit more :thumbsup:

SS

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mile-ender said:
Iron Patch said:
I wouldn't :-\ I have just recieved a letter today from the BM, about my Gold Stirrup ring, 16 months after I declared it :o and now I have to wait until 21/10/2010 before the valuation commitee sits........shocking :o

SS

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Silver Searcher said:
mile-ender said:
Iron Patch said:
I wouldn't :-\ I have just recieved a letter today from the BM, about my Gold Stirrup ring, 16 months after I declared it :o and now I have to wait until 21/10/2010 before the valuation commitee sits........shocking :o

SS

That's because of that big hoard jumping the queue.
Personally, I would complain that the are not sticking to the 12 month guidelines that they published. Keep pushing & they will buckle. Happen to me.

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
mile-ender said:
Iron Patch said:

SS

Personally, I would complain that the are not sticking to the 12 month guidelines that they published. Keep pushing & they will buckle. Happen to me.
I know it won't please you ....but never again :'(

SS

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
mile-ender said:
Iron Patch said:

SS

SS

Personal choice, I'm not one to judge.

All I can repeat, is that, if you were to sell it privately you are unlikely to ever achieve the valuations (in my experience & many others I know). ie. the best that can happen, if you like to sell is that they want it & pay the valuation. Everyones a winner in my books. You get the money, museum gets the find & more importantly the information for future study. Anyway, all been said before, so must be boring now :-X

I totally agree that the wait is completely unacceptable & has made even me mad in the past.

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
mile-ender said:
Iron Patch said:

SS

SS

Personal choice, I'm not one to judge.

All I can repeat, is that, if you were to sell it privately you are unlikely to ever achieve the valuations (in my experience & many others I know). ie. the best that can happen, if you like to sell is that they want it & pay the valuation. Everyones a winner in my books. You get the money, museum gets the find & more importantly the information for future study. Anyway, all been said before, so must be boring now :-X

I totally agree that the wait is completely unacceptable & has made even me mad in the past.
sorry I bored you :-\ going over old ground :-X but I wanted those who don't know our Treasure laws, what a complete waist of time it is.

SS

The Fog

May 24, 2009
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari

I found this ring during the first 2 weeks of owning a detector. I had no idea what I was doing, I heard a beep and I dug! (which is pretty much what I still do now 2 years later.) It was 10 inches down, I looked at my buddy (Brian W, he just started posting stuff here as well.) and said, hey I found a ring do you think this could be real? ( I was clueless, it wasn't tainted or tarnished, wiped the dust away and it was beaming.) He looked at the depth of the hole, looked at me, and said it was pretty much a given! I thought I could see some writing on the inside, but I'm afflicted with OFS (over 40 syndrome), and didn't have my glasses, ( I have to confirm with him when I find something to see if its a GW button or a flat washer.) he said "it's a name."

It was great to find a name with middle initial. I figured that in a fairly small town it shouldn't pose a problem to research.... wrong. I didn't even know if it was old or had just been turned under from farming. I took the ring to a jeweler and as soon as she looked at it she said, Oh my, It's georgian! Which meant nothing to me, until she said georgian period! Now I had a time frame to start digging into. One thing that struck me odd was how small the diameter of the ring was, it barely fit on my pinky. Later I would come to learn people were of smaller stature, living was hard, and there weren't many drive-thru's.

It took weeks of eliminating names from ancestory web sites, e-mails to knowledgeable folk, and then the confirming piece to nail it down without doubt was an image I found on the web while researching antique rings (posted below). the ring was owned by Moody P. Noyes born 2/13/1767, he married Anna Pike of Haverhill 1/24/1793 they had 13 children. Moody, Betsy, Theodore, Colonel Leonard W., Simeon N., Mary T, Thomas J., John L., George W, Almira, caroline and Nancy E.

The family owned Jeweler who made the ring are still in business today although they are now owned by Towle Silver. The ring was made during the first years of the jewelers operation and would have been made by the first silversmith. I decided to continue research to see if I could find the closest living descendant to give the ring back to. I never realized what a daunting task that would be, between poor record keeping, lines daughtering out, and families having 13 kids it was soon realized by simple math there could be over 1,000 names!

I ended up finding the e-mail address of a man that helped write a book called "The Noyes Descendants vol. II" and via e-mail he confirmed that all my research was correct, except he said there could be well over 5,000 names by now. I was kind of bummed out because the initial thought of what it would be like to give something like this back to the rightful owners would be something. But for now it sits with the things I've been gathering from cellar holes, and fields. I hope poor old Moody didn't take too much flack from the wife.

HH

Attachments

• 1986_708_lg.gif
    1986_708_lg.gif
    302.3 KB · Views: 2,458
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    168.1 KB · Views: 2,447
  • Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    170.1 KB · Views: 2,437

Top Member Reactions