Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
se pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's one site to get started:

Everybody has, or should have, a favorite place to go metal detecting. I stumbled onto mine in January '08, and have been hitting it at least weekly ever since. There's no cellar hole or any other overt signs left of this colonial/early American house site, just the iron beds. At first, I would dig a copper or two and many buttons with every outing, but now it's gotten to the point where I'm feeling good if I can pull one non-ferrous item out of the ground in a trip. This site has produced a George Washington Inaugural button, seven War of 1812 buttons, one pillar half real, 15 coppers and a crude counterfeit 4 reale-size coin with milled edges. The youngest coin I've dug at this site is an 1809 half cent, and there is almost zero modern trash to be found. A dream site, for sure.
Thanks for looking.

Dwayne

Attachments

• P1010002.jpg
    P1010002.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 396
  • P1010003-1.jpg
    P1010003-1.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 393
Upvote 0

mile-ender

Jun 29, 2009
Lower Canada
Detector(s) used
BountyHunter fast tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well now, how big of a site are we talking?
I've got a mountain (if you can call it that) that I do just about daily (on average a couple of hours). The area spans about a square mile or so, and just about all my finds come from there. I'm pretty much never disappointed either. If it's not not old it's modern - I've picked up cell phones, I-pods, sunglasses ( ray-ban, chloe, armani, cartier...). Last year I picked up a pouch with just under $400 cash (I'm guessing drug dealer dropped it - there's a number of 'em that hang out at the front part of the mountain). The best part is, I've just moved over to another 'peak' and discovered a foundation :D.

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
What a cool idea for a thread !

I have two, pretty good spots... If I had to pick one as my best, I guess that if would have to be (for those that remember all the posts) the hay field. 25 acres of metal detecting madness :headbang: I have not pulled too much from the field lately but there is still more there :thumbsup:

VPR

Attachments

• IMG_7594_1_1_1.JPG
    IMG_7594_1_1_1.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 372
OP
OP
dwayne sueno

dwayne sueno

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
se pro
Primary Interest:
Other
mile-ender said:
Well now, how big of a site are we talking?
I've got a mountain (if you can call it that) that I do just about daily (on average a couple of hours). The area spans about a square mile or so, and just about all my finds come from there. I'm pretty much never disappointed either. If it's not not old it's modern - I've picked up cell phones, I-pods, sunglasses ( ray-ban, chloe, armani, cartier...). Last year I picked up a pouch with just under $400 cash (I'm guessing drug dealer dropped it - there's a number of 'em that hang out at the front part of the mountain). The best part is, I've just moved over to another 'peak' and discovered a foundation :D.

I think your mountain loosely fits the parameters. I was originally thinking more along the the lines of older sites, but you bring up a good point that sites with current, high traffic use, like your mountain or a beach, will turn up some interesting and sometimes valuable scores. Let's see some pics!

VERMONTPACKRAT said:
What a cool idea for a thread !

I have two, pretty good spots... If I had to pick one as my best, I guess that if would have to be (for those that remember all the posts) the hay field. 25 acres of metal detecting madness :headbang: I have not pulled too much from the field lately but there is still more there :thumbsup:

VPR

Great site and pic, VPR! the two USA's and the GW continue to blow my mind.

dwayne

KRAZYHORSES

Aug 17, 2010
nice site! my friend and i had a site but it went dry we were lucky we were the only ones ever to hunt it early 1700s we called the site boot buckles and buttons there were 100s of buttons and a lot of buckles sorry all of mine are mixed with the others of it's kind if you like i can take pictures of the silver i do know what silver came from there that's all coppers are mixed? but i do know colonial sites like the one you have are extremely nice good luck and keep digging krazyhorses i do know this whatchyamacallit came from this site

Attachments

• MVC-080S (2).jpg
    MVC-080S (2).jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 356

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome thread, Dwayne! I am loving it! Wow, what a site. Thanks for sharing the pictures of the relics. :)

Our best site was found in April/2009. Kyle dug the first target: a 1700s tombac button. From there, it was an elegant cruise. Over the next few weeks, we dug 28 coppers from this site. We also got a nice complete Jew's harp, a barrel tap, and 28 buttons. We believe the occupation of the site to be 1794-1830. To this day, it is the best site we have hunted. It will always remain dear to my heart.

Kirk :hello:

OP
OP
dwayne sueno

dwayne sueno

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
se pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Iron Patch said:
Something I thought of years too late.... keeping finds from my better sites together.

One place that comes to mind is a place we call the copper mine. About 150 large coppers including a rare local, only silver was an early French silver.... and get this, it was the last coin! Also about 4 or 5 early military including a Rev War officer button.

IP,

I've seen you mention this site before, and can only imagine what finding something like that would be like.
I think I would be moved to don some spandex as well...
(p.s. I think my fiance has already commissioned a spandex wedding dress for our ceremony next year. we likee)

KRAZYHORSES said:
nice site! my friend and i had a site but it went dry we were lucky we were the only ones ever to hunt it early 1700s we called the site boot buckles and buttons there were 100s of buttons and a lot of buckles sorry all of mine are mixed with the others of it's kind if you like i can take pictures of the silver i do know what silver came from there that's all coppers are mixed? but i do know colonial sites like the one you have are extremely nice good luck and keep digging krazyhorses i do know this whatchyamacallit came from this site

KRAZY H,

yeah, that's what i'm talking about. throw that silver up there!
Kirk PA said:
Awesome thread, Dwayne! I am loving it! Wow, what a site. Thanks for sharing the pictures of the relics. :)

Our best site was found in April/2009. Kyle dug the first target: a 1700s tombac button. From there, it was an elegant cruise. Over the next few weeks, we dug 28 coppers from this site. We also got a nice complete Jew's harp, a barrel tap, and 28 buttons. We believe the occupation of the site to be 1794-1830. To this day, it is the best site we have hunted. It will always remain dear to my heart.

Kirk :hello:

Kirk,

I remember the excitement welling out of KKC when you guys hit that spot. Great posts. Hope you guys turn up another one here soon.

dwayne

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
Mind if I post my second best spot ;D

This one is a site that I call "the Orchard". I got permission this spring and the finds have been flowin'. The pictures dont show everything from the orchard. I grabed some of the better stuff for a family picture :headbang:

The finds here have been many. 1812 Belt Plate, Blacksmith Token, My first New Jersey copper, and according to Don, the only one out of 400 or so that he has documented that has been found in Vermont. Some other finds, 1818, 1822, 1847 Large Cents. Two unidentifiable coppers, a cut Braided Hair LC. Does anyone remember the picture frame cashe? Too much stuff to picture or even mention. This place is FAR from hunted yet......

How about a few pics. VPR

Attachments

• IMG_9382_1_1.JPG
    IMG_9382_1_1.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_9387_1_1.JPG
    IMG_9387_1_1.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 313
  • IMG_9386_1_1.JPG
    IMG_9386_1_1.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_9385_1_1.JPG
    IMG_9385_1_1.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_9383_1_1.JPG
    IMG_9383_1_1.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 313

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi there

They are amazing finds! Love the eagle

Well done!

rory

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I deleted my other post because I can play! :headbang: But It's only a one day total, there was a lot more. ;D

Attachments

• aug3.jpg
    aug3.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 309
  • aug2.jpg
    aug2.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 324
  • aug1.jpg
    aug1.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 319
  • aug4.jpg
    aug4.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 311
  • aug5.jpg
    aug5.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 312
  • aug6.jpg
    aug6.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 314
  • aug7.jpg
    aug7.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 309
  • aug8.jpg
    aug8.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 303
  • aug9.jpg
    aug9.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 314
  • aug10.jpg
    aug10.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 309
  • aug11.jpg
    aug11.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 299
  • aug3.jpg
    aug3.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 308
  • aug2.jpg
    aug2.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 316
  • aug1.jpg
    aug1.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 301
  • aug4.jpg
    aug4.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 307
  • aug5.jpg
    aug5.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 316
  • aug6.jpg
    aug6.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 304
  • aug7.jpg
    aug7.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 321
  • aug8.jpg
    aug8.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 301
  • aug9.jpg
    aug9.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 313
  • aug10.jpg
    aug10.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 308
  • aug11.jpg
    aug11.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 307

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VERMONTPACKRAT said:
IP, I remember these pics. What an awsome site :notworthy: I can only imagine having a one day total like that !

VPR

That was day 2. My two friends had already spent the previous day there, and of course many days after. Even 3 years later we stopped by and with in 20 minutes we had a cob, 1600s French silver (billon) and a Rev War 54th button! (I dug the button, and would have got the cob too but changed direction)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread