Pure Amber Rock

Silenthunter

Sep 30, 2010
McKinney, Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II
OK the following is a pic of the pure amber rock i have, the story of how i got it is just as interesting. This Amber came from New Zealand, it belonged to my great, great grandfather and has been passed on to finally reach me. I do know that it was located in a Forest in the early 1800's on the West Coast of the South island of New Zealand.
The value of it is unknown as i have never had it valued or looked at...to be honest have no clue how to have it valued. I cannot tell if there is anything embedded inside of it as it very dark gold color and the outside is never been polished . It weighs close to one pound, and about as tall as a 16 oz can.

Any input on this will be of great help.

Thanks

Attachments

• Treasure Hunting Finds 2010 019.JPG
    Treasure Hunting Finds 2010 019.JPG
    403 KB · Views: 1,618
  • Treasure Hunting Finds 2010 020.JPG
    Treasure Hunting Finds 2010 020.JPG
    507.6 KB · Views: 3,159
Upvote 0

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
A one pound chunk of amber is a MAJOR amount! Don't know what the price would be, but do know they are extremely rare, especially in larger sizes like this one appears to be.

Amber is fossilized resin, the sap of trees, especially Pinus, but some other trees as well. The pitch or resin is exuded as a kind of sealant to cover wounds, such as the loss of a limb or branch. Sometimes, insects become entrapped by amber, and are left pristinely encased in their prison for the future. (See Jurassic Park for more info.) A fine exterior in my opinion, showing the accumulation of pitch over time.

Showing a ruler or coin next to the amber would give others a good reference as to the actual size, in addition your statement.

I wouldn't want to part with that beauty: a keepsake of sime from your grandfather to the future. "Pass it on, boys, pass it on."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread