Post Your Favorite COLONIAL Era Relic (No Coins Please)

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that it is fair to say that Colonial era relics are a favorite among many on the site. Post up your favorite Colonial era relic.

Mine is this silver whistle found last year. Silversmith was Joseph Taylor, late 18th century. I call it a hunting whistle but who knows. The shield motif always made me wonder if it was military in nature. I've seen similar Taylor silver whistles but none with the shield.

Attachments

• Whistle.JPG
    Whistle.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 1,304
  • Whistle.JPG
    Whistle.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 1,049
Upvote 0

Attachments

• P1050658.jpg
    P1050658.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 638
  • P1050659.jpg
    P1050659.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 646
  • P1050659.jpg
    P1050659.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 609
  • P1050658.jpg
    P1050658.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 614
My favorite is this late 18th century terret. I actually found this twice. The first time it fell out of my pouch. The area became too overgrown and I had to wait until the late Fall to get back. Six months later I found it again!

It looked pretty ordinary at first, but then I realized it has tulips "growing" up the sides. I can find no info on it and have not seen any remotely like it.

2008_1202Image0009.JPG

Here are a couple... I never seem to be able to accurately identify the second buckle. Some say Rev. war shoulder belt plate and others say trunk latch. I have never seen pictures of neither.

Attachments

• revoo.jpg
    revoo.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 562
  • revo.jpg
    revo.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 569
  • revoo.jpg
    revoo.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 538
  • revo.jpg
    revo.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 557
  • rev buckle.jpg
    rev buckle.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 551
DirtyMike said:
Here are a couple... I never seem to be able to accurately identify the second buckle. Some say Rev. war shoulder belt plate and others say trunk latch. I have never seen pictures of neither.

I like that sling buckle...still looking for one. I've seen similar buckles to your second one with the same debates...belt plate of trunk adornment...

I've got a similar plate which has been identifed by the expert in the field as a trunk plate...but mine only has 4 attachments. Yours has 6 and I have seen pics of Rev. War era belt plates looking just like that with 6 attachments. The debate continues.

DirtyMike said:

I love that first one Mike. That style actually dates as far back as the late 1600's, and most of the ones of that specific style were used on the shoulder belts that held the swords (baldrick buckle), even up through the Revolutionary War. Very cool. :headbang:

I like the buckle and have a nice large one myself.

I also have one of those plates, as does my diggin bud who found his at the same site. Mine is perfect and if anyone wants to Paypal me $400 I can express post it to them on Monday. :thumbsup:

romeo-1 said:
scratcher said:
One of my best colonials....

Very nice Scratcher...very nice!! Any thought to having it straightened?

Yea, I go back and forth. It would display better, that's for sure. The odds favor it being lost by a higher up while on a military expedition, though, and I think the bend tells a story. The bend is right at the missing shank which makes me believe it was knocked off. I've convinced myself that an officer of high regard was wearing this button after much research. No way to prove this of course, but it makes for interesting conversation. I'm pretty sure none have been found even remotely close to where I hunt so it gives others that don't live in the traditional range some hope of getting their coil over one. Would you guys leave it bent??

OK spoon mold :wink: ;D No I won't do that I like this find also wasn't ever talked about much but to me it is neat cause it is something personal to someone from a long time ago.As it was found from a site that has all the objects that was found being old.Dating late 1600's early 1700's so with all the thought's of who wore it what it actually means and so on to me is a neat find.

Attachments

• 000_0001.jpg
    000_0001.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 427
  • 000_0002.jpg
    000_0002.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 407
  • 000_0003.jpg
    000_0003.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 399
timekiller said:
OK spoon mold :wink: ;D No I won't do that I like this find also wasn't ever talked about much but to me it is neat cause it is something personal to someone from a long time ago.As it was found from a site that has all the objects that was found being old.Dating late 1600's early 1700's so with all the thought's of who wore it what it actually means and so on to me is a neat find.
Zodiac symbol - Scorpio (maybe :))

mile-ender said:
timekiller said:
Zodiac symbol - Scorpio (maybe :))
I've been told that and to ward off the dead, witch craft, who knows what else! It's old and cool.And I've seen no signs of a curse yet so I'm happy with it. :laughing9: :laughing7: ;D :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back