Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in SJ said:
Shoot, military huh? Hmmmmmmmmn, One thing not found in abundance in my area is military relics and buttons. I have a Eagle Box plate, believe 1840s, and did find the only known USTE button, so guess have to say those two are my favorite of the military finds...............
I sold the USTE button back in the mid 90s, but heard it resold for about 4 times what I got, wow, but, at the time the amount I got was to me a great amount.

Did find a 1840s Eagle Boxplate years back.

Also a Martingale, but do not know for sure if it is considered Military or not............ :dontknow:

LOL, I forgot about my best find for 2009, I guess that is considered Military, the Union Greens button, circa 1812.

Did find a Rev War button in 2003, Dragoon button

Don

With quality like that just imagine if you did dig military in numbers. It's pretty amazing just how good it is.

Erdspiegel

Feb 7, 2009
Berlin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6a
XP-GmaxxII
Primary Interest:
Other
German dump-site find:

1840's pattern US buckle

Attachments

• DSCN55260015.JPG
    DSCN55260015.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 3,410
  • DSCN55250014.JPG
    DSCN55250014.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 3,436

goldnow

Apr 10, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Both from my own land;

1) a 1940's Nazi Mortar, live. The Military came and blew it up. They said , "It was very healthy."

2) One of the first handguns, Circa 1380. Known as a handgonne or hand cannon.

Attachments

• Mvc-041f.jpg
    Mvc-041f.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 3,374
  • BOMB !.jpg
    BOMB !.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 3,386
  • Mvc-041f.jpg
    Mvc-041f.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 3,396
  • BOMB !.jpg
    BOMB !.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 3,395

scratcher

Jan 31, 2008
Here is a favorite button of mine. Circa 1800, a 41st of Foot officers. I am not a historical military expert, but I have read that if not for the reputation of the 41st, the US may have tried to take Canada at the end of the War of 1812.

Attachments

• 41st.JPG
    41st.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 3,380

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
scratcher said:
Here is a favorite button of mine. Circa 1800, a 41st of Foot officers. I am not a historical military expert, but I have read that if not for the reputation of the 41st, the US may have tried to take Canada at the end of the War of 1812.

That's a great War of 1812 find!

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Since the theme seems to be Martingales, I will show mine found about 18 inches down in a brief, tick ridden hunt. I have not yet returned to the site which was once a mill site.

2009_07010003.JPG

I also found some nice CW era buttons, one is a 3 piece Virginia Militia Button, the other an Infantry Officer's button.

2009_0121Image0007.JPG
P4120027-1.JPG

scratcher

Jan 31, 2008
Iron Patch said:
scratcher said:

Thanks IP, I don't think I ever found another like it on the internet. I've been lucky enough to find two. I did see a replica somewhere I think, though.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
scratcher said:
Iron Patch said:
scratcher said:

Thanks IP, I don't think I ever found another like it on the internet. I've been lucky enough to find two. I did see a replica somewhere I think, though.

The 41st buttons are actually one of the more common regimentals the relic hunters dig around the Niagara area. An online friend (met him once) who passed away in 2004 dug the best one I have ever seen. Another friend of mine seen it in person and said the pics are no where close to doing it justice. Rick was a real credit to the hobby and to relic hunting. He used to travel around and set up his displays for others to enjoy, and on more than one occasion when someone asked to buy a button he mailed an example to them free of charge. He was the king of the 89th pewter!

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 3,346
  • 038.jpg
    038.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 3,349
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 3,333
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 3,345
  • 054.jpg
    054.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 3,303
  • 091.jpg
    091.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 3,346

scratcher

Jan 31, 2008
Iron Patch said:
scratcher said:
Iron Patch said:
scratcher said:

The 41st buttons are actually one of the more common regimentals the relic hunters dig around the Niagara area. An online friend (met him once) who passed away in 2004 dug the best one I have ever seen. Another friend of mine seen it in person and said the pics are no where close to doing it justice. Rick was a real credit to the hobby and to relic hunting. He used to travel around and set up his displays for others to enjoy, and on more than one occasion when someone asked to buy a button he mailed an example to them free of charge. He was the king of the 89th pewter!

Wow. Thanks for the pics. Do you guys see many of the silver plated officers variety there? I have several of the pewter 41st. That's too bad about your friend, he sounds like a great guy..

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
scratcher said:
Iron Patch said:
scratcher said:
Iron Patch said:
scratcher said:

Wow. Thanks for the pics. Do you guys see many of the silver plated variety there? I have several of the pewter 41st. That's too bad about your friend, he sounds like a great guy..

He was, and I'm glad you posted it because it's a good thread to show some of Rick's pictures. Man he loved relic hunting!

I know I have seen several 41st officers over the years but all I can tell you is most were dug around Niagara. Rick lived and did his detecting more to the South, close to the Detroit River. What's the backmark on your button it there is one... Nutting, McGowan?

scratcher

Jan 31, 2008
Iron Patch said:
scratcher said:
Iron Patch said:
scratcher said:
Iron Patch said:
scratcher said:

Wow. Thanks for the pics. Do you guys see many of the silver plated variety there? I have several of the pewter 41st. That's too bad about your friend, he sounds like a great guy..

He was, and I'm glad you posted it because it's a good thread to show some of Rick's pictures. Man he loved relic hunting!

I know I have seen several 41st officers over the years but all I can tell you is most were dug around Niagara. Rick lived and did his detecting more to the South, close to the Detroit River. What's the backmark on your button it there is one... Nutting, McGowan?

One is marked M Murphy Dublin and the other is unmarked. It's coming back to me now that the part I couldn't match was the pattern of the starburst. Each maker probably made them slightly different, though, so it's no big deal.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
scratcher said:
Iron Patch said:
scratcher said:
Iron Patch said:
scratcher said:
Iron Patch said:
scratcher said:

One is marked M Murphy Dublin and the other is unmarked. It's coming back to me now that the part I couldn't match was the pattern of the starburst. Each maker probably made them slightly different, though, so it's no big deal.

I agree, different makers can probably account for differences and likely why we see several variants for some buttons. Some day I'd like to find a 41st but odds are against it here, but we do pop a numbered now and again so you never know.

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
I don't have too many, I think these are military!

Attachments

• three buttons 001.JPG
    three buttons 001.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 3,257

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shaun7 said:

Very cool, that looks like an American 1812 period military on the right. If no one ID's it, I will tomorrow. Backmark?

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
Iron Patch said:
shaun7 said:

Very cool, that looks like an American 1812 period military on the right. If no one ID's it, I will tomorrow. Backmark?

Thanks IP, backmarks gone I'm afraid :'(

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shaun7 said:
Iron Patch said:
shaun7 said:

Thanks IP, backmarks gone I'm afraid :'(

No biggie, just the face will tell most of the story.

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Rovnrbl, those shells look fused. I'd be really careful with those and see about having them defused.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Muddyhandz said:
I think this comes from a "Military" musket gun. Certainly not on the typical trade guns that would be found in the fur trade sites.
I love looking at everyone's finds here! Keep 'em coming!
Dave.

Yes, and it's a nice one! Musket escutcheon/thumb plate.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Muddyhandz said:
Iron Patch said:
Muddyhandz said:
I think this comes from a "Military" musket gun. Certainly not on the typical trade guns that would be found in the fur trade sites.
I love looking at everyone's finds here! Keep 'em coming!
Dave.

Yes, and it's a nice one! Musket escutcheon/thumb plate.

Thanks I.P.
Confirmation from you is certainly good enough for me. I wasn't completely sure but now I am!
Dave.

A single round a attachment on the back? Most are made that way, but I have an early only with a couple of prongs. (just plain though)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread