Potential Hot Spot!

D

doyboy

Hey, dudes, since my club and I are no longer detecting for the winter, I have decided to further my research on a specific site. I have been researching this site for a couple months now. I just did not have time to further my research until now.

A couple of months ago, I was in the local history section at my library when I came across a picture of a schoolhouse. The caption below the picture said, "Used as a schoolhouse until 1922-1923." So, I decided to look more into it. Since our club had so many invitations to hunt other sites, I put this project on the "back-burner."

After scrutinizing 1873 atlas maps of the area, I finally pinpointed the site. I then decided to study some aerial photos of the surrounding land. As you will notice from the pics I scanned, the schoolhouse is no longer "standing." I believe the school was built sometime before 1873 and stood until the mid-1920s. If it has never been hit before, I tend to believe Paco and I will be digging some oldies.

Attachments

• research.jpg
    research.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 797
  • research2.jpg
    research2.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 788
Upvote 0

DetectorBase

Dec 31, 2006
Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE w/SunRay X-1, X-5 and X-8 / Whites XLT / Whites GM3
Nice research!!!!! Way to go! I think you got yourself a good one there. Any leads on permission,etc?

Thanks for sharing.
DB

OP
OP
D

doyboy

I have driven past this site so many times last year without evening knowing what was there. There is a small home that sits about 50 yards away. I will have to look more into it and see who the rightful owner is. I'll keep you guys posted!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job researching. Thanks for sharing that post.
-MM-

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done Doy. Being here in PA, all we can do at this point is research, research, research. I'm sure the spring thaw will bring many more silvers, IHs and such.

Good luck man!!

49er

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2005
Sun City, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites..MXT..GMT
Very good research DoyBoy. This shows what a little time and effort can produce. Can not wait until we see some photo's of your finds.

Good Luck
49er

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey that's some great reserch. Hope you get permission to hunt this site. This is what Gary and I do all the time, look at old plate maps from the early 1800's. I hope in your case no one else has looked at the same map you looked at.

But it dosn't matter, you never clean out a place. Good Luck, heck I'd go out there now and start looking for the owner of the site and maybe do a test dig, haha.

HH<Ringfinder

red

Feb 17, 2005
Lexington, Texas
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ70, Garrett 500
Hunting old school houses is great.
And since you have the old map check it out for the nearest springs that should be listed.
Schools around here were often built walking distance from a spring and springs brought everyone.
May you find the teachers brass bell. ;D
red

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hope to see some finds later then.. ;)

Michellets

Nov 12, 2006
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Ace 250 Big and Small coils, AT-Pro
I think google earth is a great tool. One thing that I did notice in the map and photo is that the two sites don't quite match, The ravine to the right of the google earth photo is not on the map. Perhaps you are a little bit above in the google earth photo and the site you are looking at is slightly above and to the right of the school. When I cross reference the old maps with the google earth photos I always try to find landmarks. Ravines, lakes, rock-outcrops, swamps, rivers, etc.,.,. It really works when you line up the landmarks. One thing that I have found is that "many" of the present day roads don't line up with the old maps. ...

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great research, good luck when it thaws! HH, Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread