potential valuable caches

frieguy

Oct 20, 2005
I recently discovered ( thanks to jeff ) that there may be many valuable caches on guam.... the only thing is land mines. I remember when I first got to the island they had said something about the mines but I never figured I would go out to the jungles so I didn't pay much attention to the warning or what could have been a ease to some fear about mines that were never recovered.... I was just wondering if anyone knew about how long a mine could stay active for, or just any other information on them and how to avoid getting blown up if I did decide to go looking for these cache's. its always have been a dream to find gold, but never a dream to lose a arm or maybe both legs :-\. if anyone knows anything about them it would be information that would be applied, as I am clueless about mines. wouldn't want to start digging right above one, know what I meen?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Guess (And ONLY a Guess) A mine can Stay Active Until it Disintegrates into nothing.

OP
OP
F

frieguy

Oct 20, 2005
its ironic that you sent that link lol I just left that sight. I have gotten a contact number and email sight for the pres of the foundation. so deffenatly going to contact him. reading about mines on Guam kinda made me thankfull I am alive after today. seems that it is a rather large problem that hasn't been dealt with ( as of 94 ) the article was kinda old so hopefully allot has changed. if not I guess I will just have to hunt in areas that have been combed through extensively. kinda makes you feel sorry for the locals though. 65 years later and they are still plagued by repercussions of war. on top of that it could be unsafe for me to go MDing lol. anyway thanks to the heads up on the link. :)

tagasilay

Jun 27, 2005
Hi,

Uxo( unexploded ordnance) is very dangerous, in france, they still recover live amo from the first world war which ended 1918. Early this year i recovered a live 165lbs bomb from the last war(using a discovery tf900 2box), 3 months ago the same kind was recovered from the airport construction site in our city and the bomb disposal team detonated it up the mountains. I have also recovered lots of small caliber munitions and 20mm anti aircraft amo(with my tesoro sidewinder, sov, and surf pulse). All recoveries were from the jungles here in the Philippines which i believe would be very similar to guam. In this kind of enviroment when hunting for relics or whatever, never dig by hitting the ground with a shovel or digging tool, gently sweep the ground half an inch at a time to the side until you can establish identity of target, it is very tempting to dig faster specially if its an isolated target (ie the only signal you get in a cave), it might just be a grenade.HH

lGod bless,

Jose

OP
OP
F

frieguy

Oct 20, 2005
thanks for the tip Jose, I will be doing that technique when I dig while on Guam, have you come across any land mines while hunting in the Philippines? trying to do as much research on them as possable so it would be helpfull to talk to someone that has dealt with a land mine first hand. I have contacted the president of bombs away, though I did this on what would be a Saturday I haven't gotten a reply from him. hopefully I will hear something on Monday

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
one Problem I see you Having Tho, Is , YOUR looking For Caches.

which could be the same size & if in a Pot, Same Shape, I THINK.

So you not only Want to Be Carefull of Digging a Mine

You want to Be Carefull Not Leaving a Cache.

Happy "SAFE" Hunting.
Jeff

tagasilay

Jun 27, 2005
Hi,

I have not encountered any landmines in my area. I think the mines where not available during the last part of the war to the japanese, they used bombs burried vertically since they did not have planes left for them.maybe the landmines in your place are american. the problem with monitions is that MDs wont cancell them out since they are made of copper or brass, i use disc mode in the sov to avoid iron shrapnell. Another danger are jap grenades, they look like rusted sausage cans since the wooden handles have rotted off, burry right away, never use a probe or pry off an unidentified target. Once an oldtimer showed me a place where he remebered jap corpses where dumped, found a mans pewter ring but was damaged. many stories of coins in brass containers but i still have to find mine, i hope you do too.

God bless,

Jose

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread