monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a lot of pottery from my walk yesterday. This is a close up of all the one's with designs. These two shards are the best I found, but the one with the red glaze is number 1 in my book. Speaking of books I have one on dating pottery if I can find it, I would like to know the age of some of this stuff, I'm guessing it is pretty old. Most plan pottery tells of a people that was just surviving , and ones with design indicates a culture that was more advanced. View attachment 851927 View attachment 851928 View attachment 851929 View attachment 851930 To give you an idea of the land lay out, this creek runs out of what we call the bluffs. In my area you have flat swamp land that runs along the Ms. river and then a 300ft rise of the bluffs that's why any where along the bluffs you will find artifacts.

Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes for your area there will be archeological reports documenting the pottery time line and designs kinda like this one in southeastern archeology

http://www.southeasternarchaeology.org/PDF/bulletins/SEAC Special Publication 01.pdf

I had always believed that the pottery evolved more as they had a constant supply of food and that is true for the most part then we found a 500 year old site that was known for just plain pottery and the small hamilton arrow points. Why? I do not know as everyone beside them was doing fancy stuff but the points and tools associated with them were late Mississipian. Weird huh?

You are finding some nice example they look good in shadow boxes. :thumbsup:

photo copy 3.JPG

OP
OP
monsterrack

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks TNMnts that is some good info and you gave me a good idea what to do with my shards:notworthy:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The temper is usually a good indicator.
I've got pretty in depth with studies in pottery as I think TN. Has also.. when you start getting into design you will have to look closely at your individual area.
Your state Museum of Natural History website might have a pottery type collection.
I've learned .. at least down here.. more info can be taken from the pottery than a projectile point.

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey monsterrack!! I PM'ed you back, but didnot know if you ever received my message? If not just let me know and I will get back with you!! Good looking shards-CONGRATS!! GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seeing I have found some pottery in the last yr or so I have gotten interested in it myself. I havent found any in red yet though. The shards are very nice looking. I collect the ones that are decorative. I keep the plain also but usually give it away. Hope you find a whole pot.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread