Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got out to detect a bit after work today at the plantation house pasture. I recently paid to have it bush hogged and plowed because the owners let it get overgrown after the horses were gone. It's still very clumpy but seems to be smoothing out as we get rain. There were pottery & glass shards showing up everywhere, and I think I found a piece of an arrowhead today. :dontknow:
My only coins so far since it was plowed were a 1965 quarter and two nickels (1946 & 1948). No silver or Colonials yet. :(
Pictured are my finds from today and a video I shot.

Enjoy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2REp4sl2OY

The button in the dirt clod turned out to be an 1800's flat button with "Imperial Treble Gilt" back mark.
The other button is an 1800's also with a wreath design backmark. I can't make out the lettering though. ???

Any ideas on the huge thing that looks like a large nail or engine valve? It has a square shaft (not round) so I don't think it's a valve. :dontknow:

Thanks for looking and happy hunting this weekend,
MM

Attachments

• MVC-036S.JPG
    MVC-036S.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 750
  • MVC-037S.JPG
    MVC-037S.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 738
  • MVC-038S.JPG
    MVC-038S.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 744
  • MVC-039S.JPG
    MVC-039S.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 738
  • MVC-040S.JPG
    MVC-040S.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 747
  • MVC-041S.JPG
    MVC-041S.JPG
    18.2 KB · Views: 740
Upvote 0
S

seger98

Neat finds MM. Can't figure out what that thing was for either. I'll keep thinking about that one!

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds, Congrats......

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
seger98 said:
Neat finds MM. Can't figure out what that thing was for either. I'll keep thinking about that one!

Thanks Seger.
Any snow up in Wisconsin yet? :wink:
Have a good weekend,
Doug

S

seger98

ModernMiner said:
seger98 said:

Thanks Seger.
Any snow up in Wisconsin yet? :wink:
Have a good weekend,
Doug

Back down in Alabama again for the winter, but we did have 4 small snow falls before we left. :(

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
The relic hunting legend, digger dug, is back on the horse at the Colonial farm. :laughing9: :headbang: The plowing will lead to more coins being found there; you just have to be patient and they will come to you eventually.

Good luck on your return trips to the former horse pasture, Dugster!

Sir Kyle

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice Finds MM-I did not know you were a farmer too!!! The pin piece could be a blacksmith made wagon pin upset on the end to keep it from falling through the holes. HH.

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool vid, and great finds, what is the large round item in first pic at the top of the pic? I have found several of them, and have no clue what they are?

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goes4ever said:
cool vid, and great finds, what is the large round item in first pic at the top of the pic? I have found several of them, and have no clue what they are?

Thanks G4E,
That is a buggy / cart rein guide I was told. I have about 6 of them myself.
-MM-

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that makes sense, I have found them at 1800's homesteads

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KylePA said:
The relic hunting legend, digger dug, is back on the horse at the Colonial farm. :laughing9: :headbang: The plowing will lead to more coins being found there; you just have to be patient and they will come to you eventually.

Good luck on your return trips to the former horse pasture, Dugster!

Sir Kyle

Kyle,
Send a few of those Colonial coppers down this way, and I'll send you a nice collection of "vintage" field iron. :tongue3:
Thanks buddy,
Sir Dug

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VOL1266-X said:
Nice Finds MM-I did not know you were a farmer too!!! The pin piece could be a blacksmith made wagon pin upset on the end to keep it from falling through the holes. HH.

Heck yes I'm a farmer. I'll send you a picture of my melons. :laughing9: I'm trying to develop a money tree now to help get my kids through college.
Thanks for the guess VOL.
-Doug-

capndan151

Apr 29, 2007
Costa Mesa CA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Hey, I am a mechanic. And that piece that you have in your picture is an intake or exhaust valve from any standard motor. Just thought you'd like to know.

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just realized, I'm pretty sure that I found one of those valve thingies that's not a valve, also at an early site I hunted. I tossed it in a box from the site, if I remember correctly. I believe I may still have it. I hope! I hope I did not toss it, thinking it was a modern thing.

It may be that it's a specialized use tool. If it has squared sides, it is certainly not an automobile part.

This really has me thinking now.

HH,
R.I.

Weddle546

Oct 27, 2009
White Mountains, AZ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Ancient coinmaster
capndan151 said:
Hey, I am a mechanic. And that piece that you have in your picture is an intake or exhaust valve from any standard motor. Just thought you'd like to know.

Im gonna go with capndan on that last pic being a valve from an engine. you can see the "seat" on the head of the valve. Probably from an old tractor or model T. First thing i thought when i saw it. Oh the joy of replacing and lapping valves. But could be wrong :dontknow: Looks like you are in a good spot. Nice finds, Better than i did today!

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
Nice video Doug. Those pottery shards are very decorative. It's too bad we cant see what they looked like before broken. My backyard needs bushhogged. I know you have been busy lately but you promised to come up and do it your self. I dont have all year you know. :laughing7:
Chris

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
capndan151 said:

Weddle546 said:
capndan151 said:

Im gonna go with capndan on that last pic being a valve from an engine. you can see the "seat" on the head of the valve. Probably from an old tractor or model T. First thing i thought when i saw it. Oh the joy of replacing and lapping valves. But could be wrong :dontknow: Looks like you are in a good spot. Nice finds, Better than i did today!

Would an intake/exhaust valve have a square stem? ??? I thought they were round, but I know nothing about tractors. :dontknow:
-MM-

Colonial Copper Zeus said:
Nice video Doug. Those pottery shards are very decorative. It's too bad we cant see what they looked like before broken. My backyard needs bushhogged. I know you have been busy lately but you promised to come up and do it your self. I dont have all year you know. :laughing7:
Chris

Chris,
I did stop by, and knocked on the door, but no one was home. I didn't want to trespass, so I came all the way home to NC. I even had a 12/pack with me. :tongue3: :laughing9:
I'll catch you in the spring I guess.
-Doug-

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rusted_Iron said:
I just realized, I'm pretty sure that I found one of those valve thingies that's not a valve, also at an early site I hunted. I tossed it in a box from the site, if I remember correctly. I believe I may still have it. I hope! I hope I did not toss it, thinking it was a modern thing.

It may be that it's a specialized use tool. If it has squared sides, it is certainly not an automobile part.
This really has me thinking now.
HH,
R.I.

R.I.,
Dig that sucker out. I'd like to see it too. :icon_thumleft:
-MM-

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread